I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 05:26:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Renvela - whoo, pricey!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Renvela - whoo, pricey!  (Read 12432 times)
cattlekid
Elite Member

« on: June 08, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »

Wow - so I just got my monthly labs back from the clinc yesterday.  Phos is down to 3.8 but calcium is up to 12.3.  So they took me off my generic PhosLo and put me on Renvela as my phos binder.  Yikes! $200 copay per month!  I had a coupon from the SW that took it down to $50 per month but that's still way more expensive than the generic PhosLo. 

Are there any alternatives I can suggest to my neph that wouldn't spike the calcium but be a little more cost-effective?

greg10

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 01:29:27 PM »

The cheapest alternative we find is to get enough dialysis and the phosphorus will  come down as a result.  If you are on HD, do you know your HDP?  Check my signature below.  Many nephrologists don't seem to be able to suggest to patients about getting more dialysis - their answer always seem to be more expensive prescription drugs - and you wonder if they have any conflict of interests in the drug companies.  Many nephrologists don't seem to be interested in generic or OTC supplement that can help reduce phosphorus either - such as slow niacin -  "niacinamide and niacin inhibit intestinal transport of phosphorus and achieve clinically significant reductions in serum phosphate in patients undergoing dialysis."

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=21842.msg359812#msg359812
Niacin and Niacinamide for Hyperphosphatemia in Patients Undergoing Dialysis
phosphorus levels and parathyroid hormone levels fell in the NHHD group

The monthly dosage of slow niacin comes out to be about $5.  Niacin will not completely replace phosphorus binders.
http://www.amazon.com/Slo-Niacin-Controlled-Release-Niacin-Tablets/dp/B000H208B2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307564717&sr=8-2

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 02:11:51 PM »

Hello Greg,

Thanks for your reply.  I am currently on incenter, 3x per week, 3.75 hours per treatment.  I know that puts me low on the HDP list but I'm approved for transplant with four living donors currently being tested.  I'm also switching centers to University of Wisconsin where the waitlist for my blood type is less than one year.  So I do not want to muck about at this time with switching modalities to home hemo - even if I did home hemo, I would do NXStage and not nocturnal. 

I'll ask about the slow niacin...although it still states that it needs to be taken in concert with another binder, but maybe I can drop the number of Renvela with each meal to stretch the month's prescription a bit.

aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 04:02:20 PM »

Genzyme offers a patient assistance program for Renvela, just do a yahoo search and you will get info. Even though it talks about about help for people with no insurance, there is frequently help for those on Medicare with Part D prescription coverage.

If Genzyme doesn't help you, there is another phosphorus binder for those who need to get away from the high calcium binders. It is called Fosrenol, made by Shire. It too is pricey but they also have a patient assistance program with info available on line.

Get with your dialysis unit's social worker. He/she should be knowledgeable as to what programs are out there to help you out. Did the social worker go beyond simply giving you the discount coupon?

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 05:50:56 PM »

My copay (Cigna Medicare Part D) for a month's supply of Fosrenol is $78.  It was around $55 when I took Renvela, but I've found Fosrenol to work better.  I can be a bit more liberal with my food intake while maintaining a phos level of 3.2-3.5 and calcium 8.9-9.3.   Plus, it's more convenient to chew than to take with  fluids, especially when just eating a snack.  I'm on incenter as well (4.25-4.5 hours). 

Unfortunately, we're at the mercy of big pharma when they have long term patents and generics  can't be offered.  The main ingredient in Fosrenol - lanthanum carbonate - is Chinese "dirt."

Interesting about the niacin comment.  A dialysis friend of mine introduced me to it quite a while back, but more for raising HDL levels (good cholesterol) than as a phos binder supplement.  We were out for dinner at a spaghetti place and he gave me a pill to pop before dinner.  Forgot to warn me about the massive warm flush that I was to feel!  Since I never had a cholesterol problem, that was the only time a took it.

Wow - so I just got my monthly labs back from the clinc yesterday.  Phos is down to 3.8 but calcium is up to 12.3.  So they took me off my generic PhosLo and put me on Renvela as my phos binder.  Yikes! $200 copay per month!  I had a coupon from the SW that took it down to $50 per month but that's still way more expensive than the generic PhosLo. 

Are there any alternatives I can suggest to my neph that wouldn't spike the calcium but be a little more cost-effective?

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:34:40 PM »

I use niacinamide along with Renvela.  It works quite well.
500 mg with breakfast and 250 mg with late afternoon snack or with dinner.

Ask your nephrologist about it.

8)

PS:   I'm also on the Genzyme program called Renassist.
For people with Part D who earned less than about $30,000 in 2010.

They send you your prescription dose directly from their pharmacy, so it won't cause you to enter the donut hole.

Phone: 1.800.847.0069 (M – F, 8:30am – 5:00pm EST)
Very nice people on the phone.

http://www.renassist.com/~/media/Files/Renassist/Renassist_Insurance_Verification_Form_and_Patient_Assistance_Application.ashx

www.renassist.com
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:43:02 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 10:46:44 PM »

Greg
I went to the site you mentioned and saw the formula 10ml/h/kg and the example of a 60kg person with a limit of 600ml.
Now, I'm in Australia and the most recent (yesterday!) advice from my HT (Home Training) clinic tells me that a UF rate of over 400 is excessive...we are trained (and try) to run our sessions so that is a reality, not always succeeding because we are only human after all, but generally that's what we do.
So...my weight is 108kg, the formula says no more than 1080ml per hour...but that's a rate that would not enter our minds.
I take your point on phosphates and and trying to move from 24 hours weekly to 28 or maybe 30, but am not sure that is enough. I use a combination of nocturnal and daily depending upon domestic and social needs.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 04:15:50 AM »

Thanks for the info - I have only private insurance right now (no Medicare) so I figure that using the discount coupon and going to $50 per month from $200 is not that bad.  However, compared to the generic PhosLo that I *was* taking at $10 for 3 months, it's a shocker.   I can get it cheaper through mail order pharmacy but I need to investigate if I can use the discount coupon through the mail order - that will bring the cost down to $14 per month which is definitely doable.

Genzyme offers a patient assistance program for Renvela, just do a yahoo search and you will get info. Even though it talks about about help for people with no insurance, there is frequently help for those on Medicare with Part D prescription coverage.

If Genzyme doesn't help you, there is another phosphorus binder for those who need to get away from the high calcium binders. It is called Fosrenol, made by Shire. It too is pricey but they also have a patient assistance program with info available on line.

Get with your dialysis unit's social worker. He/she should be knowledgeable as to what programs are out there to help you out. Did the social worker go beyond simply giving you the discount coupon?
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 06:05:03 AM »

so glad this question came up. My phos has been staying at 10ish for months. I was wondering what I could do to help it.

Thanks!!

You guys are so knowledgeably about kidney things!!! Thank goodness for you!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 11:36:19 AM »

R - I'm a bit taken aback that you have allowed your phos level to stay so high for so long.  It will take its toll. With all you have already experienced, bone disease doesn't need to be added to the list, especially when you can get the phos under control.

You don't need to answer on here, but please be honest with yourself - How compliant are you to the renal diet?  Are you following any sort of dietary limitations for phosphorous intake?  Are you taking prescribed binders with all your meals and snacks - at the right times?

Here's an idea - find someone from your clinic who is doing really well with the renal diet and keeping phos levels in line.  See if (s)he will be your "sponsor," just like with AA, and have you call her when needing support!  Or, maybe someone on IHD that you would feel comfortable with.

I realize how much you are counting on another transplant.  But please, until it does happen, do all you can to take care of body.  You're way too young to have to deal with complications of bone disease on top of everything else.

Just curious - are you itchy all the time?

so glad this question came up. My phos has been staying at 10ish for months. I was wondering what I could do to help it.

Thanks!!

You guys are so knowledgeably about kidney things!!! Thank goodness for you!

xo,
R

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 05:52:40 PM »

Rachael - I actually agree with the essence of PatDown's response. That is a pretty high PO4 reading. Has your neph and/or unit dietician or someone actually flagged this? If it's been running so high for awhile this is a real concern for bone disease. Have you had your PTH monitored also? If that's running high also and untreated you could well suffer from secondaryparathyroidism (ie: leaching of calcium and phos from the bones) leading to brittle and easily broken bones.

Not trying to be alarming, but this stuff IS important to keep in check as the longer term consequences can be bad and this is something you need investigated by your neph. It may well not be a diet issue per se but something else, or you may just need diffferent or more binders with your meals.

Since you've asked what can you do I'd say a really great first step is flag this with your neph as a concern YOU have (though you'd think they'd have picked it up too!!) and/or your unit dietician.

When any of these core values is out of the range it upsets the delicate balance we all try and keep under D and it can be quite dangerous (eg: high K levels) in the short term, or in the longer term (eg: high PTH, Ca/PO4 etc). This is exactly the sort of reason regular bloods are taken.

I do urge you to discuss this with your neph and see what they say. They may well be comfortable with this level for other reasons unique to your situation, but at least if that's the case you'd know - and understanding is winning half the battle in my view.

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 11:22:16 AM »

Thank you IHD family for the heads up. How stupid of me to not realize this. My dialysis brain must not firing neurons very well. I just can't believe my neph hasn't caught this. I sent him an email and he is checking it out as we speak. Man I could just smack myself....just more proof we have to be our own advocates!!!

Love you guys!!

Oh, here are my lab values...
K 4.7
kt/V 2.32
Phos 2.4 (low)
Calcium 10.8
PTH 75.0
Hemoglobin 10.3

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »