I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 07:21:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Just a matter of time...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just a matter of time...  (Read 2510 times)
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« on: May 28, 2011, 09:39:34 AM »

just a matter of time...  I was in the transplant center for a Meeting with the main Neph to get me approved at legacy in their Paired donation program for transplant....  this guy is a big wig.... but very nice...but I was upset with what he had to say about Dialysis and how most of us dont live long and that transplant is our only hope.... he said that most in center people dont make it to transplant.. they usually get too sick to stay on the list.... I told him that I was doing D at home with nxstage and that I am doing nocturnal.... he said he didnt know about any of that and that there were no studies to show if any of the home stuff making any difference...  People only have a few years and then they get usually too sick to go thru with a transplant... I was shocked...  He said that I looked pretty good for being on D for a year and half....  and said that we better hurry and get a transplant before anything happens....   Its hard enough to deal with all of this with out hope and optimistic attitudes .... I need for them to be strong .....  I have alot of hope to get thru all of this... it seems like they look at you with pitty and at any moment you will just die....    I am proud that I am doing D at home and I am doing everything I can to be healthy...   this is not all for nothing.... really......   

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:22:33 AM »

You went to the Transplant Center to be evaluated for a transplant - not affirmation of how well you can do on dialysis.  Transplant nephrologists, and especially those at the better programs,  have a 100% belief in transplantation as the best option for patients to lead a normal life.  All their time, energies and research are towards that end.   Do you expect them to keep up with nx stage and other home therapies?   

Also, you have to remember their frame of reference comes from the fact a good number of patients they see come from the incenter environment. Therefore, they look upon dialysis as just a holding pattern, a limited one at best.   

Don't expect dialysis pep talks from your transplant program.  IHD is where to get that support. You've visited this site long enough to know what can be expected of good dialysis treatment at home from Hemodoc, Peckham and others.  Doesn't that give you enough confidence without needing to hear it from a transplant program? 

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 11:06:55 AM »

Tyefly, my husband has been on dialysis for over 14 years!!  He is still healthy except for kidney failure!!  You can live on dialysis for many years.  Nocturnal dialysis is the best dialysis you can get!!  Look at Zach who has been on dialysis a lot longer than hubby.  He only went on the transplant list lately. 

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »

Just because the nephrologist was a "big wig," dosen't preclude him from being a big jerk.
And a terribly uniformed one at that!

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 12:38:28 PM »

Some people know only their trades... Its a shame though that he doesnt branch out and learn a bit more besides his transplant stuff or!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hush up..  It's just not right for him  to spread wrong info like that..

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 01:31:14 PM »

I agree, there's a really different mindset between nephrologists and transplant surgeons - and don't forget, they are all just "practicing" medicine. Keep up what you're doing - you've always done a great job of being informed and taking action to stay healthy - you probably actually know more than the big wig!
 :bow;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 01:51:20 PM »

Mindset of a doctor - Salesman, Pitchman, Sell, Sell Sell what ever service they are providing to get you in so they can have basically your money.

Tyefly, take it with a grain of salt and shrugg it off. If he wasn't personable, I would then say go to another transplant center. All he did was to try to pursuade you more by scare tatics to come to them to have your transplant. The proper thhing he should have said was that he should look into doing a study about home dialysis even though he may not follow thru, but should.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
greg10

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 02:58:27 PM »

Don't be too hard on the doc, he is just looking at it from his own perspective and he has data to back up his claims of better survival with transplants, to a significant degree.  Although there seems to be some improvement in mortality for all ESRD once they can get passed the first year.
edited:  Granted, the chart below shows a certain selection pressure for high survival rates among transplants because generally ESRD patients don't go directly onto transplant and that "2007 ADR, even with more detailed adjustments for severity of disease, the first-year death rate for hemodialysis patients shows little change over the last nine years".

http://www.usrds.org/2008/view/esrd_06.asp

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:50:25 PM by greg10 » Logged

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 04:41:25 PM »

The grim fact is that the death rate of 45 to 54 year old patients on dialysis is EIGHTEEN times that of the healthy population. In my view your nephrologist was giving it to you straight, something I'd much prefer to someone who tells you that some have survived for years etc. It's only by being realistic that you can make the right descisions.

I've not seen Greg's statistics before but they support the ESRD mortality statistics I've seen.

Cardiac causes over 50% of deaths. 60% of these are sudden, due to arrhythmias, 30% heart failure with left ventricular dialation, 10% MI (heart attack)

All you can do is to take care and concentrate on being one of the few who outwit the Grim Reaper. Erm... well, we won't outwit Him, we'll only be able to avoid Him for a little while.  :(
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:45:55 PM by Stoday » Logged

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 02:42:42 AM »

I would not take these remarks too seriously.

I was told in August 2006  - by a big noise in nephrology -  that I definitely had only 6 months until Dialysis.

Then another “big noise” gave me only six months until Dialysis in February 2008.

Luckily I am still pre-Dialysis without any symptoms yet.

If I would have taken any of these “big noises” really seriously,

I would be a nervous wreck by now.

Best thing is, to patiently listen to the advice

and then try your best to survive all the same.

Good luck from Kristina.   

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »