I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 09:28:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Taking on the Tour: Triathlete and dialysis patient takes on Amgen
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Taking on the Tour: Triathlete and dialysis patient takes on Amgen  (Read 1781 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 26, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »

Taking on the Tour: Triathlete and dialysis patient takes on Amgen
By Jason Shueh

LAKE TAHOE — During the snowy first stage of the Amgen Tour of California, there were many riders who protested conditions, fans who expressed skepticism and tour organizers who tried their best to prevent the inevitable cancellation in a frenzy of race delays and course reroutes.

Yet, amid all the tumult of delays and worries last Sunday, there was one cyclist who at least made the attempt — albeit with no kidneys.

That man is Shad Ireland, a 39-year-old dialysis patient who suffers from renal disease, an illness that has permanently shut down the function of his kidneys and requires him to undergo five-hour dialysis treatments every four days.

The Sunday attempt was a training ride for Ireland, who has launched a 24-month project called Taking on the Tour, an effort to educate and inspire support for kidney dialysis patients world wide.

His schedule included riding stages two, four and six of the Amgen Tour of California as well as stages in July's Tour de France and August's Tour of Utah — riding the routes non-competitively.

Ireland, from Buford, Ga., is also the only dialysis patient to complete the grueling Ironman triathlon multiple times; also riding across the country in 2009 from California to Washington, D.C., for awareness.

“I'm trying to show people that, really, inspiration is where it's at,” Ireland said.

An uphill climb
However, it could be said Ireland's advocacy battle didn't start off easy. At age 10, the Georgian began dialysis treatment for his kidneys, and at age 16 he was told by doctors he would likely not live past age 25.

Ireland said his early years lacked a sense of hope, and it wasn't until 1997 when things began to change.

The change came in 1997 while he was watching the Ironman competition on TV for the first time and being inspired by triathletes Sian Welch and Wendy Ingraham as they collapsed yards from the finish line, crawling the remaining distance.

Ireland said that when those runners began to crawl forward it changed something inside him and he wanted their drive and energy to move forward.

These days, he has founded the Shad Ireland Foundation to create awareness for kidney disease patients and continues engaging the public in competitive events such as the Amgen Tour of California.

Last week, Ireland rode Stage 2 of the tour from Nevada City to Sacramento, Stage 4 from Livermore to San Jose — climbing Mt. Hamilton along the way and nursing a knee injury — and Stage 6 on Friday, the Solvang time trial.

Accustomed to challenges along the way, Ireland said whatever weather conditions or physical barriers present themselves, he always finds the necessary encouragement.

“There are days when the rain is coming down sideways and I'm out on a training ride of about 60 to 70 miles, rides where you ask yourself ‘why am I out here?'” Ireland said.

It's in these times Ireland said he thinks back to all of the dialysis patients and supporters he's met along the way.

“They inspire me to be out here and to be doing all these things,” he said.

http://www.tahoebonanza.com/article/20110522/NEWS/110529990

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 11:33:28 AM »

This is absolutely amazing.  A few years after starting dialysis, I participated with 2 other patients in a triathlon  about half the distances of The Ironman.  We each did ONE LEG of the event and thought we were something special!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:38:58 AM by PatDowns » Logged

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
greg10

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 12:59:01 PM »

Wonderful effort from Shad Ireland.  You have to wonder though if Shad is the only one legally using EPO on that tour and that how many others are using it illegally.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 03:12:08 PM »

good point. lol.
 My nurse had mentioned one time that people have sold those on the street, well especially athethes.

l
Wonderful effort from Shad Ireland.  You have to wonder though if Shad is the only one legally using EPO on that tour and that how many others are using it illegally.

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »