I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 09:21:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Sending good wishes to Epofriend
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sending good wishes to Epofriend  (Read 14900 times)
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2011, 04:17:30 PM »

Forgive me for not posting until now. Rolando got out of the hospital on Thursday, 5/5, day 29. I haven't had time to post since then, until today (we're back in the hospital, but only briefly.)

The Friday and Saturday after release were days from hell. The painkiller Rolando had on that last day accumulated in his system and turned him into 200 lbs of "Rolando Jello". He had no muscle tone making it very difficult and dangerous to transfer him - wheelchair-car-dialysis chair-wheelchair-car-wheelchair-home. But we somehow pulled it off and got him the dialysis he needed. On Sunday Rolando began to recover, thank God! He has no memory of that Friday and Saturday.

We started the post hospitalization round of doctor's appointments - Monday - home health drained the effusion, Tuesday - lung doctor, Wednesday - wound care - everything was fine. Thursday - fluid started to pour out of one of the post surgical wounds. I was scared it was infected, so Friday we went to the primary care doctor. He cultured it but did nothing more. Saturday (yesterday) morning I was still worried so I called the nephrologist and asked what he thought about some vancomycin. He ordered the vanco for the last hour of dialysis. Cool. We got home from dialysis and after multiple dressing changes I realized there was fluid pouring out of a second surgical would. That was too much for us so it was off to the ER. Saturday night in Tampa - barroom brawls, gunfights, stabbings, DUI accidents, ODs, we expected a nightmare and a nightmarish wait. But, no, we somehow avoided the rush and got in quickly. Rolando was admitted last night.

Turns out that the fluid is simply from the pleural effusion. A one-week interval between drainings is insufficient so the excess fluid is finding its own way out through the unhealed incisions. They are taking precautions against infection but we will be released tonight (or tomorrow morning if there usual inefficiency prevails.)

Things are good!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:23:56 PM by aharris2 » Logged

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2011, 04:51:09 PM »

A rough time, but a satisfactory conclusion. I hope things continue to improve.

Galvo
CHeatherS

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2011, 05:35:22 PM »

Oh my goodness, I can hardly imagine what you all have been though, and I am so very very sorry.  I pray that there will be a turn around, and that there will be a healing..... and relief very soon.  Thanks so much for updating us. Blessings to you all.

Heather in Alaska
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2011, 08:34:48 PM »

Wow what an ordeal - I had no idea fluid would come out that way. Just goes to show you that we're always learning here. Thanks for keeping us in the loop - big HUGS and love to you both!  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2011, 03:21:44 AM »

Wow what an ordeal - I had no idea fluid would come out that way. Just goes to show you that we're always learning here. Thanks for keeping us in the loop - big HUGS and love to you both!  :cuddle;

Me neither. I told him I was going to put him out in the yard with a birdbath under him as a more appropriate setting for this fountain effect.
 :flower;

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2011, 05:25:14 AM »

Thinking of you both and really hoping that this awful time goes away soon.   :cuddle; :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2011, 09:21:33 AM »

Sending you love and prayers that Rolando continues to heal and no more bumps in the road!!!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2011, 12:51:01 AM »

This story is just mindblowing, aharris and so worrying to think of what on earth might happen next.  I second what rsudock and monrien just said:  here's to a smooth and rapid recovery from here on in.  And more hugs, in case they help.  :grouphug;
I love the fountain crack.  Wierd, but cute.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2011, 09:15:37 AM »

I send you my best wishes,

a rapid recovery & good luck

from Kristina.  :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2011, 10:17:35 AM »

...Turns out that the fluid is simply from the pleural effusion. A one-week interval between drainings is insufficient so the excess fluid is finding its own way out through the unhealed incisions. They are taking precautions against infection but we will be released tonight (or tomorrow morning if there usual inefficiency prevails.)

Things are good!

The usual inefficiency was indeed at work only worse (thank God!). they drained the effusion on Sunday and sent the fluid (cloudy suggesting infection) off to check for infectionThe "tomorrow morning" mentioned above was Monday morning, May 16th. They had a chest x-ray ordered up for that morning as a prerequisite for leaving. Morning turned into late afternoon, but I was okay with that because there were medication issues to work out (possible infection but no antibiotic ordered, continue the vanco (or perhaps just let the bacteria grow unabated in Rolando's chest until they get things sorted out...grrr...)) The x-ray guy showed up at about 4pm and did his thing. The x-ray was fine so we packed to leave. We had been watching for culture results all day... nothing, until we were loading up the wheelchair for the first trip out to the car - INFECTION! Release cancelled, IV antibiotics ordered up. I unloaded the wheelchair.

Poor Rolando! He was happy to be getting out, then it was snatched away from him. Vanco and Zyvox ordered IV. But, through a series of fortunate misadventures, they had never established an IV site...
...and, the good doctor had ordered up a dose of Vanco at dialysis on Saturday before our trip to the ER that evening,
...and, Vanco could be administered at dialysis for the net several sessions,
...and, if for some reason Zyvox was necessary it could be orally administered,
so, the release was on again.

Happily, everything fell into place given the existence of the infection. With the Saturday dose of Vanco on board, there was no need to put Rolando through the pain of establishing an IV site. With dialysis there was a means to continue that treatment. We ran for the door before anyone could change their mind!

We have been home since Monday. Things are a little shaky and scary, but I'm hopeful that this homecoming will stick. There was a bit of a hiccup Tues/Wed, but that's for a future post. I won't be secure until I am sure the infection is gone (and how does this pleural catheter affect that, going into the area of infection with infected fluid being drawn off through it? Questions for the docs later this week.)

Thanks yet again for all the good wishes and the hugs. Yes, they help a bunch!

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2011, 10:22:43 AM »

There's no place like home, Dorothy!  Glad you and Toto finally made it there!   ;D

:grouphug;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2011, 01:12:48 PM »

Wow what a time you guys have had!
Those infections can be frightening.
Best wishes that each day shows improvement.
Love you both!  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2011, 07:41:05 PM »

Oh boy, the run through the mill has been rough  for you all! Here is hoping it is all getting better.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »