I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 05:25:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Mayo Clinics, Anyone with experience share with me?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mayo Clinics, Anyone with experience share with me?  (Read 1833 times)
The Noob

« on: July 07, 2011, 03:37:00 AM »

we're looking at different transplant hospitals and was wondering if anyone has personally used a Mayo clinic? We have 2 very possible (so far so good) living donors.
edersham

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 10:41:57 AM »

I had my TX at Mayo in Phoenix and had a tremendous experience there. They not only talk the talk there about the well being of the patient being the only thing that matters, they walk the walk as well. Both I and my donor had all testing in house (one week each). Everyone on your transplant team gets to know you personally and your history.  They do a lot of live donor transplants there including unrelated donors(mine was from a friend).  Both of us are doing well 16 months later. They do have on site lodging available(The Transplant House) if you can get in. You need to stay in the area for about 6 wks after.

Good Luck
Ed                                     
The Noob

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 02:13:18 PM »

Ed, thank you! i was reading they do single incision for the donor. our tx nurse today said they do it as well here up north. my nephew had BMT in Minn 3 years ago. i put request in for appt!
lawphi

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 02:59:42 PM »

While we did not use the Mayo Clinic, we traveled out of state for a transplant.  It was a very good experience and well worth every cent out of pocket.  If your donors do not match, you have more options at Mayo for a paired donation than you might at your home center. 

Girl meets boy with transplant, falls in love and then micromanages her way through the transplant and dialysis industry. Three years, two transplant centers and one NxStage machine later, boy gets a kidney at Johns Hopkins through a paired exchange two months after evaluation.  Donated kidney in June and went back to work after ten days.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »