I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:26:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  worst Dialysis session !!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: worst Dialysis session !!!  (Read 2910 times)
DomJDavis1985

« on: May 04, 2011, 08:20:37 AM »

for the first few months of Dialysis my sessions were pretty uneventful..meaning i really didn't experience much pain (no nausea, vomiting, headaches, etc.  at worst i would feel a little fatigued for maybe an hour or so afterwards and then things would go to normal however the last few sessions i have had excruciating headaches.....vomiting....and sweating profusely....i have had to cut several treatments short because of this....any suggestions from the dialysis vets....i go again tomorrow and i am not looking forward to it
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 08:43:11 AM »

Weren't you the one who posted you had to skip some sessions because of a funeral? That can do it to you. Once while I was still on hemo I put off my treatment from Tues night to Wed morning because of vacation. I threw up during my session and was so sick all day. I suspect you'll be ok once you get back on schedule and you get rid of all the extra toxins you probably built up.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 08:45:46 AM »

Hello - that really stinks that you are having such problems with your treatments. 

I know for me, I get the nausea and sweating when they try to take more than 3 kilos off at a time.  My blood pressure gets to be too low - anything below 120 systolic gets me in trouble.  I watch my blood pressure like a hawk and if it starts to drop, I make sure to let the techs know so they can stop pulling off fluid.  Personally, I prefer to stay a kilo or so above my dry weight so I don't have the problems that you stated. 

Could it be that you have lost real weight since you started and your dry weight may need to be adjusted?
noahvale
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 06:00:59 PM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 07:47:42 AM by noahvale » Logged
DomJDavis1985

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 01:14:57 PM »

sorry was experiencing headache when replying before...yes i am using a phosphorus binder
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:29:08 PM »

I would say cutting sessions short and/or skipping them are the worst thing you could do (sorry) in terms of your dialysis health.

What has the neph said? Have they investigated anything unusual in your labs? There is going to be a reason - most likely it's fluid related - as in your real body weight has shifted (probably have put on a bit of real weight, so they are taking too much fluid) but you can't just presume. it needs to be measured and examined.

Remember every time you vomit etc you're losing fluid - do you account for that in your intake (if you are on any sort of restriction that is)?

As you've experienced the vast majority of the time dialysis essions should be uneventful with just being drained after the usual sort of result - anything else points to an imbalance of some sort that needs to be addressed. I certainly wouldn't just put up with it and do nothing - if your unit staff aren't willing to be proactive you should ask them to run a crit line/BVM at least to try and get a more accurate picture of your fluid situation and maybe do some labs to see if you're over in something like Potassium.

Good luck.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 09:27:41 PM »

Dom how ya doing girlie? Did you see the post where I started having major migraines only on Mondays after dialysis in March? Well after trying to watch my diet like a hawk on the weekends, what I have been doing now is a 1/2 hour before the end of my treatments  I shut off my UF. (Mean I make them stop taking fluid off me) I only allow the machine to be setup to take off 2 liters. This past Monday I setup the machine to take off 3 and still shut it off 1/2 hour before the end of my treatment and I got a headache, but not a migraine. My BF rubbed my back and I took a 45minute nap and it went away....try shutting the UF off near the end of the treatment. I will be eager to see if you have the same result as I

Good luck

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 05:13:49 PM »

Hi Dom!  Don't believe I've seen you post lately.  Did you start PD or are you still incenter?  I would do like Ru said turn off UF and just let dialsate clean toxins from your blood.  Like she said it may solve your problem.  I do not know that centers will let you do that or not.  But if they will let you, try it! 

Sorry you are having these problems!  They do seem to never end with this disease!

lmunchkin

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »