I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 08:09:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Dialysis company NxStage won't renew Kawasumi blood tubing deal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysis company NxStage won't renew Kawasumi blood tubing deal  (Read 3332 times)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« on: May 20, 2011, 07:25:59 AM »

Dialysis company NxStage won't renew Kawasumi blood tubing deal

May 19, 2011 by MassDevice staff

Home hemodialysis device maker NxStage Medical won't renew a blood tubing supply deal with Kawasumi Laboratories with its Medisystems Corp. subsidiary.

NxStage Medical Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTM [1]) will not renew one of its key supplier agreements for the blood tubing sets used in its System One home dialysis machines when it expires next January.

The Lawrence, Mass.-based renal products maker said that it will let a deal with Kawasumi Laboratories Inc. expire Jan. 31, 2012. The Japanese company is the "only supplier of needles and certain blood tubing sets that we sell to our customers," NxStage officials said in a regulatory filing.

Kawasumi also holds a contract with NxStage to provide all of the needles the company uses in its products, which doesn't expire until 2014.

NxStage officials didn't give a reason for letting the deal run out in 2012. But the company has been trying to shift the manufacturing of the blood tubing sets in-house to one of its Mexican manufacturing facilities.

"Kawasumi’s contractual obligation to supply needles and blood tubing sets to us is, at times, less than our forecasted demand," according to the filings [2]. "We are presently working to transition the manufacture of more blood tubing sets to our Tijuana facility, however, there is no assurance that this transition will be completed quickly and without creating any short term product quality or reliability issues. At least in the near term, there can be no assurance that we will not experience any interruption in needle or blood tubing set supply or that such an interruption would not impair our business."

NxStage signed the deal with Kawasumi [3] through its Medisystems Corp. subsidiary in May 2008. In exchange for the commitment, NxStage agreed to buy a minimum number of blood tubing sets over the four-year deal. In exchange Kawasumi agreed not to sell blood tubing sets to any other company in the U.S.

http://www.massdevice.com/print/news/dialysis-company-nxstage-wont-renew-kawasumi-blood-tubing-deal

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 07:51:59 AM »

whell this is a bit scarry!

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 09:15:49 AM »

I'm sure they have another supplier (cheaper) up their sleeve.  Probably in CHINA!  God help us!

:pray;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »