I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 12:28:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Nurse assisted home dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nurse assisted home dialysis  (Read 2667 times)
Relentless

« on: May 22, 2011, 12:33:55 PM »

I am about to start home nurse assisted diaylsis where they come out to your home 3 times a wee just like in center and 4 hours.  Just want to know if anyone has any experience with this program and how much supply I should expect.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 05:21:10 PM »

I can't answer that Relentless, but I'm sure some one on IHD can.  Are you the patient or the caregiver?  Sorry, but I do not understand why a nurse would have to assist with dialysis in your home. I thought, (that may be the problem) that the reason for doing it at home was an obtion for those who do not want In-Center D.

Without Medical information on you or your spouse, it is hard to answer your question.  Not being rude, I'm just confused!

lmunchkin       :flower;   :cheer:

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »

Wow,
 THat is cool. It sounds as though you would be on home hemo and they are allowing you to do this only because there is a home visiting nurse who is willing to do this?? Otherwise you would have to have a caregiver?
 I think that would be really cool. I personally like the idea. I dont know how good it would work out though.
 I personally wouldnt mind that. Thats me. Especially if i had no choice but to go on hemo.

Let us know how that works out. Im curious
Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Relentless

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 08:30:03 PM »

I am the patient.  Here in my area we do not have home  hemo nxstage ( and i dont want to do PD) where you can do it yourself, you need a partner and I don't have partner.  So what they do is have one of those big dialysis machine and put it in your house and have nurse come out fir 4 hours 3 times a week instead of you going to the center.  By doing this it will save the drive time and also the wait time to get hooked up.  I generally wait about 15-60 minutes when I get to center at 3:30pm depending on how back they are, then the 30 minutes drive home. I don't think people with Medicare qualify for the program since the first question they ask me was if I have private insurance.  I work 34 hours a week since I have to leave at 2 t get to center but with this now I can work FT and go straight home do dialysis.  So the nurse stays with you for the 4 hours at your home until you Are done.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 08:39:35 PM »

Sounds like a good deal.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up for me.  Iam the caregiver, and I couldn't figure out the "Nurse assist" to doing dialysis at home. Now you as the patient, without help from anyone, definately makes sense.  You have to spell it all out for this one to understand anything.  lol

It is ashame #1 that you are alone in this, but it could be alot worse.  I did not know that this option to have a nurse come in and do it on you in your home was available!  That is awesome! 

As far as the supplys, will the nurse bring them or will you have to store them?  I believe it would be easier for her/him, if you had storage for the supply's in the home.  If not, the nurse will be responsible I would think!  Talk to your team about that?  Dont be afraid to ask questions of them, that is what they are there for.

I hope all goes well for you!  Man, you really will be saving on the miles, huh?  Let us know how it goes!

lmunchkin    :flower;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »