I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 11:22:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Will someone talk to me? Pleease?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will someone talk to me? Pleease?  (Read 66388 times)
Genlando

« Reply #350 on: June 01, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »

I have just been scanning this thread. One of the few things I miss about NJ are the soft pretzels with mustard. DH and I went out there with his work 20 (!) years ago.Don't get me wrong, its a fine place and the people were so friendly but then you had to go as a dependent spouse, no work permit and I am soooo not cut out to be a housewife...anyway that's all in the past. I still miss the soft pretzels and Dunkin donuts bear claws though. Krisp and Kreamy don't even come close.

As a lifetime Southerner, I must take exception to your statement about our beloved Krispy Kreme donuts!  Have you ever had them when they're still hot? They're like crack cocaine!  But seriously, I guess it's all a matter of taste, huh?  And I gotta admit that a hot, soft pretzel is pretty awesome!

3/9/2010--Diagnosed with ESRD
3/24/2010--Fitted with catheter, and began hemodialysis
4/2010--First fistula attempt--clotted up and failed
6/2010--Second fistula attempt--didn't clot, but slow development
11/2010--3rd fistula surgery--fistula now developing
1/2011--fistula ready for H/D!
6/2011--Started using NxStage at home
8/2012--Switched to PD using Liberty Cycler
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #351 on: June 01, 2011, 10:40:10 PM »

As a lifetime Southerner, I must take exception to your statement about our beloved Krispy Kreme donuts!  Have you ever had them when they're still hot? They're like crack cocaine!  But seriously, I guess it's all a matter of taste, huh?  And I gotta admit that a hot, soft pretzel is pretty awesome!

Oh, no, no objections here to a hot Krispy Kreme - but I prefer a chewy cake doughnut with chocolate frosting.  Dunkins is the closest I've found to a Kretchman's doughnut.  It was the family owned doughnut and coffee shop where my grandfather would take me for breakfast when I was a little kid.  Belly up to the counter on the round swivel stool that was bolted to the floor, and order a chocolate covered cake doughnut and a white milk in a little white carton from the dairy we drove by on the way to get breakfast.  Keep your mouth full and listen to the old-timers solve all the world's problems and tell a lot of tall tales over double-sugared coffee....ahhhhh...... good times and good memories!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #352 on: June 02, 2011, 02:05:31 AM »

Just 'surfing' IHD posts - so interesting!
Comment on farm boys and hats - here in Australia most people call the 'cowboy' hat Akubra which is a popular brand name here. Hubby wears one ALL the time and our time in the city (Sydney) while I get monitored post tx has given us many laughs about his hat.
People often ask, 'Where's your horse?' A little boy said excitedly, 'Mum, I've just seen a cowboy!'  A man asked us 'Is it true the size of the hat tells the size of the property?' A truck driver leaned out of his truck and yelled, 'G'day, bushy!' and often people say either that they like his hat or we must be from the bush. Hubby wears his hat every day and has a bush hat and a town hat. He hates it when his town hat wears out. His new hat takes some time to break in and feel comfortable.
And we call ourselves graziers not farmers, as it is too dry where we live to grow drops so we produce wool, sheep and cattle.
Hope you find this interesting  :)

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #353 on: June 02, 2011, 02:57:56 AM »

Just 'surfing' IHD posts - so interesting!
Comment on farm boys and hats - here in Australia most people call the 'cowboy' hat Akubra which is a popular brand name here. Hubby wears one ALL the time and our time in the city (Sydney) while I get monitored post tx has given us many laughs about his hat.
People often ask, 'Where's your horse?' A little boy said excitedly, 'Mum, I've just seen a cowboy!'  A man asked us 'Is it true the size of the hat tells the size of the property?' A truck driver leaned out of his truck and yelled, 'G'day, bushy!' and often people say either that they like his hat or we must be from the bush. Hubby wears his hat every day and has a bush hat and a town hat. He hates it when his town hat wears out. His new hat takes some time to break in and feel comfortable.
And we call ourselves graziers not farmers, as it is too dry where we live to grow drops so we produce wool, sheep and cattle.
Hope you find this interesting  :)
When I was really little we had a (factual) book about some kids growing up on a farm in Australia in the 1960s.  They had hundreds of thousands of acres and their nearest neighbours lived hundreds of miles away.  They did all their schooling over the radio.  I truly believed that EVERYBODY in Australia lived like that for most of my childhood. The Flying Doctors helped me realise that some people lived in teeny little towns and drank beer all day, but it was Neighbours which hit me in the face with the reality that some people in Australia lived 'normally'.  I was quite disappointed.

;D

(I'm also quite disappointed that you haven't mentioned your hubby's other hat, you know, the one with the corks hanging off it ...  >:D)

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #354 on: June 02, 2011, 05:16:28 AM »

Oh! Poppy! Please don't equate 'Neighbours' with normal Aussie living. Generally, we ain't nearly as yummy as them folks.

Chook, have you had a look at the IHD facebook site? There's been a good blue going on there.

Galvo
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #355 on: June 02, 2011, 09:35:47 AM »

Loved the reading, Chook. And Poppy, I remember that story about the kids going to school by radio, too! LOL!

Mis-information sure gets around!

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #356 on: June 02, 2011, 10:00:42 AM »

I read that book!  Although, I lived in a pretty rural area, and not far from some of the islands in the Great Lakes where the year round residents often did similar things, so it seemed pretty normal to me, actually.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

KrazeeBrod

« Reply #357 on: June 02, 2011, 12:11:28 PM »

I have read so many books over the years, I pretty much clean out the library in a year!  LOL  I read very fast (thanks to an Evelyn Wood reading course when I was in college), and I love reading.  They cannot write murder mysteries, courtroom dramas, and police procedural fiction fast enough for me!

In fact, I would like to collect the entire works of a couple of authors if anyone wants to donate their copes.

Myers, Stephanie: The Twilight Series (all of them)

Evanovich, Janet: The Stephanie Plum series (I think there are 17 of them now.  I have #14 only.

If anyone has any of these books and would care to donate them to my library, you can reach me at tlnelson2010@comcast.net.

:flower;
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #358 on: June 02, 2011, 06:25:59 PM »

My fun for the day was the Laura Ford exhibit.  I'm in love with Stump Girl!

http://www.sculpture.org.uk/work/000000100083/

Although, I didn't read the art critic's descriptions before - I didn't see missing children or anything sinister.  It just made me think of high school.  All the pretty accessories in the world don't make anyone stop seeing you as the "fat girl."

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #359 on: June 02, 2011, 06:40:09 PM »

We are packed and ready to get up VERY early and make a 15 hour drive to Massachusetts. Now that Carl isn't on dialysis, we don't really have to do the drive in one day, but it gives us more time for visiting.

And THEN, on Monday we are headed for Maine to meet IKETCHUM!  :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup;

I am so excited. Plus this past weekend we had a lovely visit from Cariad and her family! w00t! We visited the Smokies and saw a bear, deer, turkeys, salamanders, a kangaroo mouse, and the kids got to hold a painted lady butterfly! It was a fabulous weekend!  :cheer:

Next year we are hoping to make it all the way to Newfoundland to see Del! We didn't have enough time set aside for a trip that long this June, but with a year to plan, we can surely do it next June!  :clap; :clap;

Yep! I'm feeling GOOD!

Aleta    :flower;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #360 on: June 03, 2011, 03:56:52 AM »

Oh! Poppy! Please don't equate 'Neighbours' with normal Aussie living. Generally, we ain't nearly as yummy as them folks.
Not as yummy?!  I don't believe it for a second!  (I haven't seen Neighbours for ages, not since Harold Bishop suddenly returned from the dead.)

In fact, I would like to collect the entire works of a couple of authors if anyone wants to donate their copes.

Myers, Stephanie: The Twilight Series (all of them)
*gasp* ... you're not having mine!  Actually, since the sun is shining the garden does beckon and it invites me to bring along my Twilight collection.  A little Edward lovin' might fill my afternoon up nicely. I might even indulge in an ice-lolly. 

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #361 on: June 03, 2011, 08:59:54 AM »

We are looking forward to your visit already!!!   :2thumbsup; :yahoo; Can't wait!!  We have all kinds of fun things we can do and you will get to taste some Newfoundland food!!  Anybody else who is coming this way and wants to visit we would be delighted to see you!!

Hubby and I have been really busy building an extension to our garage.  We have the roof completed and are putting doors and windows in now.  Lots of work!!  Hopefully after this you will be able to go in the garage and not trip over things!!  Have to put at least one window in this afternoon.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #362 on: June 03, 2011, 01:07:08 PM »

:2thumbsup; I love when our members get to meet!

I am spending the night with 2 other women photographers and heading out early tomorrow, before sun up, to shoot hot air balloons lifting off.  :bandance;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Go Up Print 
« previous next »