I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 09:29:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  New on Hemo
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New on Hemo  (Read 1572 times)
rwijeratne

« on: May 12, 2011, 07:14:02 AM »

I have recently switched to Hemodialysis after being on PD for over 2 years. I had a severe case of Peritonitis and had to have my PD catheter removed. So far I have been really enjoying the Hemo. My numbers have never been better and my PHOS is now under control, previously it was 16 or above now it is under 5. The one issue I have is my feet are swollen with excess fluid. I have about 5 kgs removed with every dialysis visit, however my feet are still swollen. I have pain in my left foot and can only wear sneakers, (very loosely tied). I have scheduled an extra dialysis visit this week. But I wanted to now if anyone out there has dealt with this issue and do they have any tips or suggestions. Thank you in advance.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 07:27:15 AM »

Hi,  :welcomesign;, and also welcome to the 'other' side  ;)  I know that when we were incenter that they would have you come in for a few extra runs until the fluid came off.  Dont know if thats available hwere you are but thats what they did occasionally at our center.  Also, theres the Lasix that if you have residule kidney function, it helps.  Also.... when your albumin is low, i believe that can misdirect fluid as well.  Just some thoughts :)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
rwijeratne

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 10:07:30 AM »

Thank you for your response.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:45:04 AM »

You can approach this from both directions....first reduce fluid intake...second increase fluid removal.

You'll get it sorted out!

Have you thought about doing home hemo? That way you can have more frequent treatments so the fluid doesn't build up as much.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 02:08:45 PM »

Welcome to the group.  When my friend was first diagnosed, they had to dialyze her 14 days straight as she was 70 pounds fluid overloaded.  I agree with willowreewren, reduce fluid intake, increase fluid removal.  Let us know how it goes.
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 03:09:56 PM »

Is your access a PermCath or fistula and how long is your treatment run time? 

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »