I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 11:18:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Team meeting..
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Team meeting..  (Read 2289 times)
Rivy

« on: April 26, 2011, 11:41:08 AM »

Hello Everyone!  I haven't written on here in such a long time. However, I've been keeping up on what as been said and I read some that help me through the day.  Anyway, I just had a meeting with my center's nurse, social worker, and boss on "safety."   They wanted my input on how I thought the center was running and if I felt safe..I thought that was much to odd.I really thought that they wanted to confront me with something I had done..I was wrong when they wanted my opinion to how things are going..
If they are asking, than I'm going to let them know..about the slacking that has been going on the third shift..I thought they should know how I'm feeling from being to hot in the center and during treatment since the air wasn't on..They finally turned it on., that some of the techs where goofing off at night and how we don't have the nurses walk about during the shift..They are at the station on the computer reading email.    There were a few things addressed and the most important one was that the doctor of the center doesn't spend enough time with the patients.. 
It made me feel a little better about things and how I can go to the boss of the center if there are any problems or situations.   I'm sure she is going to address these issues with her staff in the coming days..
The other think is that they wanted me to be the voice for others in a positive way about the center.   Some sort of advocate, I'm assuming..I really think that there are some of the patients that can't or don't want to speak up to say anything..so I do talk to the patient in the waiting room..
My question is on what are some of the questions or concerns I should look for?   How can I ask my center if they could send me to the AAKP Conference to learn more?   and they could pick up the bill.. :clap;
So does anyone go through this while in the dialysis center of their own?  Doesn't feel like your a part of that center if that happens?  What changes can I make? 

Enjoy your week,
Rivy
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:43:10 PM »

I'm very impressed that you got them to listen to you. Keep up the good work!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 02:49:27 PM »

Very nice Rivy,

I'm going to say this not because I'm part of this site, but because I truly believe it.  Point your fellow patients to this site.  There are some patients that just don't want to talk to the Social Worker about problems or feel silly.  As you know this site is full of information and support.

Just a thought.

Get a shirt sayint "I'm taking notes and kicking butts"    :Kit n Stik;

RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 05:47:58 PM »

I went through this at my own dialysis center.  I had several discussions with our Head Nurse about potential improvements.

Here are some suggestions, based on my own experience:

DO NOT POINT FINGERS.  Speak in general terms, and offer constructive criticism:  "The staff could do a better job of following procedures properly....The nursing staff could be more attentive to what's going on with the patients."  And then supply some examples of what you've seen, and how things could be done better.  Don't accuse anyone by name, because you'll never be able to work with that person again.

Offer some kind of long-term plan.  Perhaps you could invite interested patients (you can't be the only one) to form a Grievance Committee which would hear from all patients about complaints, suggestions, etc.--and draw up petitions to the Head Nurse.

Act like you want to work WITH the staff to improve dialysis for everybody, not treat the staff as enemies.

Rivy

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 08:24:30 AM »

:thumbup; Thank you Jeannea!

I'm very impressed that you got them to listen to you. Keep up the good work!
Rivy

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 08:33:07 AM »

I have been putting a copy of this site in the waiting rooms of our centers here in ABQ..I would think that someone would pick one up and sign on with us..I don't know anyone would...I'm trying to go to the AAKP conference this year to learn more about things..Thank you for the support!  Rivy :waving;

Very nice Rivy,

I'm going to say this not because I'm part of this site, but because I truly believe it.  Point your fellow patients to this site.  There are some patients that just don't want to talk to the Social Worker about problems or feel silly.  As you know this site is full of information and support.

Just a thought.

Get a shirt sayint "I'm taking notes and kicking butts"    :Kit n Stik;
Rivy

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 08:35:56 AM »

HEy Righside! You absolutly right..Thank you for the suggestion and I will keep that in mind..I didn't want to point fingers, however the boss wanted to know who although she said she would bring it up in a professional way without mentioning my name..She is really good at that..
Thank you again,  :beer1;
Rivy

I went through this at my own dialysis center.  I had several discussions with our Head Nurse about potential improvements.

Here are some suggestions, based on my own experience:

DO NOT POINT FINGERS.  Speak in general terms, and offer constructive criticism:  "The staff could do a better job of following procedures properly....The nursing staff could be more attentive to what's going on with the patients."  And then supply some examples of what you've seen, and how things could be done better.  Don't accuse anyone by name, because you'll never be able to work with that person again.

Offer some kind of long-term plan.  Perhaps you could invite interested patients (you can't be the only one) to form a Grievance Committee which would hear from all patients about complaints, suggestions, etc.--and draw up petitions to the Head Nurse.

Act like you want to work WITH the staff to improve dialysis for everybody, not treat the staff as enemies.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »