I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 03:38:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  It's yet another "Thread for the Ladies"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's yet another "Thread for the Ladies"  (Read 2250 times)
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« on: April 16, 2011, 06:02:14 PM »

I am still not on D, although that won't be for much longer.  My latest egfr was 8!!!  I am getting my fistula placed on Monday.  I have been on the pill for a while because my body loves to have periods, and w/o the pill, it tends to go every 21 days and bleed for a week at a time.  I have been on Aranesp shots for just over a year.  When on the pill, I have a very predictable, 28-day cycle.  I have never, ever skipped a period in my life.  I appear to be skipping one now.  I don't know what to think about this!

Do I start my new month of pills on Sunday?  Or should I just skip?  Will I have to start D before the fistula matures?  My neph is trying to buy time with new Rx's.  I still work FT, still get hungry.  Although, today the appetite has been elusive because I've felt a little crampy, despite not having Aunt Flo here in all her glory.

Thoughts?

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »

Normal periods?  What, exactly, are those anyhow? 

Seriously, stress messes up periods in a healthy woman.  Add in the chemical and hormonal changes we get from ESRD, and we haven't got a chance at following a calendar.  I've never been on the pill, so I'm not sure what to suggest on the "to skip or not to skip" question, but don't think it's any reason to rush into D any sooner than you had originally planned.  Perhaps call your ob/gyn and see what he/she thinks on the pill schedule.  If you can't get through, I'd go with the Brits best advice - "Keep calm and carry on."

Or my version - "Keep calm and carry chocolate."

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 09:00:54 PM »

Being on the pill was one of the most wonderful times of my life in regard to regularity. However when they took me off because, # 1, I was too old and #2 because I smoked, all hell broke loose. It was not 2 years later when they did a hysterectomy, rather than let me bleed to death. Now, you have all the stress of ESRD and all the other chemical imbalances it gives us, but I am not sure what the Dr. will decide. You really need to contact your neph I would think.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
TexanSummer

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 09:17:49 PM »

Is there any possibility that you could be..........?? Just askin....that was the only reason I ever skipped while on the pill. Sorry if I offended you with that question...it wasn't my intention

Wife of Charles --
   diagnosed with psoriasis in 2000?
   no diagnosed kidney issues until 3 weeks ago
   diagnosed with ESRD 2/24/11
   found out birth defect of kidney valve was cause 2/28/11
   started dialysis  3/1/11
   I still have a level head....most of the time
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 10:49:17 PM »

Is there any possibility that you could be..........?? Just askin....that was the only reason I ever skipped while on the pill. Sorry if I offended you with that question...it wasn't my intention
Not unless it was an immaculate conception!  :rofl;

I have absolutely horrible luck with "men" and "dating".  I've sworn both off, because really, what's the point?  Other than a friend from way out of town who will be visiting me in less than 2 months, I won't have anything close to a date for a long, long, long time.

April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
onestronglittlelady

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 11:38:03 PM »

I would talk to your doctor about the pill. Many medications are removed during dialysis. About a year before I started dialysis Aunt flo was on her own time, and very unpredictable. Also it would skip around and sometimes the plane wouldn't actually land, just kinda circle the runway then leave. I had the tubes tied years ago so I haven't been on any birthcontrol. After starting dialysis Aunt Flo has become a problem, as it is worse than it ever was before. Also my Neph said not to take Midol anymore. I'm thinking some Jack and Coke might help with the cramping. Hope things go well for you at dialysis.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 10:06:35 AM »

You might ask about a Mirena iud as well.  Mine hasn't done a thing for "regular" but it makes the periods so light and far apart that I don't care at all.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 01:14:16 PM »

I took the pill because it was the only way to keep things regular. Apparently your kidney is involved with estrogen production so those of us with ESRD are really never regular. But since I started dialysis I stopped the pill and I haven't had my period in 2 years. Yours could stop. Now of course there's the issue of birth control but I haven't even had a date in so long I don't worry about it.
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »

I have always taken the pill to regulate my period but even while on D my period has stopped altogether, even with taking the pill. I have now stopped taking the pill altogether. My gyn says that it is okay to keep taking it if I want and that the pill would still protect the eggs, and it is not hurting me either not taking it. I just got sick of taking another pill that isn't really necessary anymore....b/c if the D is stopping us from having periods that probably means the body is not releasing an egg any longer right??? Otherwise I am really taken a gamble right now!!! EEEkkkk!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 09:33:50 PM »

Uh, yeah, HUGE gamble!  I've lost track of names, but there's a long post on here from a woman whose doc told her couldn't get preggers while on D.  Seems like it was a boy.....

KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 09:42:55 PM »

Well, Aunt Flo is paying her monthly visit, it's just more cramping than Flo-ing.  Not happy about that since it has sabotaged my appetite! I ate lunch today hours ago.  Now I'm thinking of making myself eat some Cheerios and have some apple juice.  Fistula surgery is tomorrow afternoon.

I will continue taking the pill like I have been doing.  Kinda silly since I live a sex-less existence, (not happy about that, but I live in the Seattle area, where men don't like independent women, or sick women) but I like regularity when/if I can still have it.

KarenInWA

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 03:50:17 AM »

I wish mine would stop.  I'm not regular, and never have been.  It seems to jump around and show up when least expected.  I don't have any warning either, so it just shows up when it wants.

I've said more than once that I'd gladly trade that for being able to pee again.  I'm hoping that I'll be like my mom, and when I'm 50, it stops dead.  I've only got about 15 more years to wait.. *L*

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »