I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 03:04:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Introducing self -- sister of dialysis patient
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Introducing self -- sister of dialysis patient  (Read 2196 times)
graceb

« on: April 29, 2011, 03:55:33 PM »

Hi there,

I'd like to introduce myself. I have a twin brother, 47 years old, who started dialysis in January. He's also diabetic. We're trying to support him as much as we can. He's a single guy, lives alone and he is navigating all of these changes on his own (in the LA area). I really have enjoyed what I have read so far on I hate dialysis.com. Great support and information!

Sincerely,
Grace
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:04:32 PM »

:welcomesign; Welcome Grace! Glad you found IHD.  It is a great place for information and support.  I live in southern CA too.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:09:09 PM »

Hi, Grace!  :welcomesign;

Lots of help and support here. I'm glad you have been reading. I first came here with questions, but found the friendships important, too.  :cheer:

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
greg10

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:34:44 PM »

. I have a twin brother, 47 years old, who started dialysis in January. He's also diabetic. We're trying to support him as much as we can. He's a single guy, lives alone and he is navigating all of these changes on his own (in the LA area). I really have enjoyed what I have read so far on I hate dialysis.com. Great support and information!

Sincerely,
Grace
Welcome to the forum, Grace.  We are unfortunately in a similar situation with my elderly father.  I find this following news article of importance, and your may as well, if not for your brother, perhaps for yourself because diabetes can run in the family:  Reversal of Diabetic Nephropathy by a Ketogenic Diet
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=22798.0
It is a difficult diet to follow but any way of switching from high glycemic foods to low glycemic foods is an improvement in avoiding and even reversing the devastating effects of diabetes.  The following statistics is sobering:
Diabetes is the most common cause of ESRD, resulting in about one-third of  of new ESRD cases.  NIDDM (Type II diabetes) causes 80 percent of the ESRD in African Americans and Native Americans.

Personally, I find that following a ketogenic type of diet (up to 85% fat) in combination with fish oil/fat, together with a moderate to heavy exercise routine, helpful in controlling diabetes.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 04:41:15 PM by greg10 » Logged

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:43:25 PM »

G'day, Grace, and  :welcomesign;:ausflag;

Galvo
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 01:19:41 AM »

:welcomesign; Grace.  Lovely to 'meet' you!

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 07:33:45 AM »

Welcome to the group, Grace.  I think it's great when family members get involved.  If LA area means Los Angeles  and not Louisiana, I run a support group out of Kaiser Bellflower on the third Saturday of the month.  If you want more info, just sent me a message.  Glad you found us!
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »

Hi Grace and welcome to IHD!   :welcomesign;   Bless you for being there for your brother.   :clap;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »