I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 03:22:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Congestive Heart Failure & Hemodialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Congestive Heart Failure & Hemodialysis  (Read 2131 times)
ClarkWard

« on: April 18, 2011, 03:55:40 AM »

Article found here: http://cjasn.asnjournals.org/content/2/6/1186.abstract

I surf this site from time to time to learn more about dialysis. I'd like to know what anyone here has to say about CHF and Dialysis. My D friend has it. I'm looking for honest answers: no glossed over, falsely optimistic*, half truths, please. My friend is realistic, relatively content, and senses his time is not far.

If I don't respond soon to posts, forgive me. Busy day ahead. Thanks so much to everyone here. It's an amazing site.

*False optimism: patients develop false optimism when doctors focus on prescribed treatments rather than probable outcomes.

Read below for Abstract.

Long-Term Survival of Incident Hemodialysis Patients Who Are Hospitalized for Congestive Heart Failure, Pulmonary Edema, or Fluid Overload
Debasish Banerjee*, Jennie Z. Ma † , Allan J. Collins ‡ , Charles A. Herzog ‡
+ Author Affiliations

*Renal and Transplantation Unit, St. George's Hospital NHS Trust, London, United Kingdom; †Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia; and ‡Cardiovascular Special Studies Center, United States Renal Data System, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Correspondence:
Dr. Debasish Banerjee, Renal and Transplantation Unit, St. George's Hospital NHS Trust, Tooting, London, UK, SW17 0QT. Phone: 44-2087253204; Fax: 44-2087252068; E-mail: Debasish.Banerjee@stgeorges.nhs.uk
Abstract

Background and objectives: Mortality in patients who are on maintenance hemodialysis and have congestive heart failure is high in small cohort studies. The aim of this study was to determine long-term survival in a large cohort of dialysis patients with congestive heart failure and suspected fluid overload or pulmonary edema.

Design, setting, participants, & measurements: Data were analyzed, retrospectively, on 1,119,808 patients who started hemodialysis between January 1977 and December 1999. Survival was estimated from the first (index) hospital admission with congestive heart failure, fluid overload, or pulmonary edema, after 60 d of successful hemodialysis using the life-table method. The impact of patient characteristics on outcome was assessed by the Cox proportional hazards model.

Results: Of the 310,456 patients included in the study, 233,454 were admitted with congestive heart failure, 63,886 with fluid overload, and 13,116 with pulmonary edema. The patients with congestive heart failure were older and often white and had diabetes or hypertension as the cause of renal failure. Deaths during the index hospital admission were 8.7% for congestive heart failure, 4.0% for fluid overload, and 6.6% for pulmonary edema. Five-year survival was 12.5, 20.2, and 21.3%, respectively. The independent positive predictors for mortality in these patients were age, male gender, diabetes, hypertension, history of cardiovascular disease, and congestive heart failure.

Conclusions: This study demonstrates very poor survival in dialysis patients who present with congestive heart failure, pulmonary edema, or fluid overload compared with patients who present with congestive heart failure without renal failure. Meticulous management of cardiovascular risk should improve survival.

Received March 4, 2007.
Accepted July 24, 2007.
Copyright © 2007 by the American Society of Nephrology

:)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »