I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2024, 06:22:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Anyone Watch Desperate Housewives?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone Watch Desperate Housewives?  (Read 12979 times)
huldafolk

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 08:21:33 AM »

What!!  No central line in her neck,  No AV fistula surg. with months to wait for maturation, no sign of discomfort or nausea, or severe weakness.,dialysis in a private room with her own machine that doesn't seem to be required to be turned over quickly for the next patient. Friends locking people into a house party and forcing them to type match , then telling one individual about another persons status regarding a match.  ALL ILLEGAL!!   How unrealistic is this show, if you are going to touch on a difficult subject , try to get it close to reality for purpose of education of general public!!

1980 diagnosed with ADPKD
2003 EMERG. Bi-lateral nephrectomies IVC STENT
2003-now 3x/week 4hours each hemo at clinic
2003-2004 multiple complications /ileostomy
2004 reversal of ileostomy
2010 colostomy
2003 to now ,on transplant list(on and off due to complications)
8 years on list> said to be at top of list for transplant.
2010 RCA Heart STENT
2011 Restent RCA with Drug Eluting (70% closed in 3 months)
LAD stent with drug eluting (66mm long stent)
On transplant list again!!2011/3
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 09:31:31 AM »

What!!  No central line in her neck,  No AV fistula surg. with months to wait for maturation, no sign of discomfort or nausea, or severe weakness.,dialysis in a private room with her own machine that doesn't seem to be required to be turned over quickly for the next patient. Friends locking people into a house party and forcing them to type match , then telling one individual about another persons status regarding a match.  ALL ILLEGAL!!   How unrealistic is this show, if you are going to touch on a difficult subject , try to get it close to reality for purpose of education of general public!!

When you put it like this (a nice summary) I think I want to throw up in my mouth!!! This show (which I used to love) is making a mockery out of ESRD!! We have to live it, while these ppl (on the show) make it seem like its a walk in the park!!

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
calypso

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 04:17:54 PM »

I think this is the WORST portrayal of ESRD-Dialysis... where is her fistula? or her cath?? did you see the episode in the treatment room?? the guy sitting down had an upper arm fistula and was waving his arms all around...ummm hellllloooooo infiltration!!!!
Did you see how slow his pump was going.... get REAL!!

how about tonight's episode???   the basket fell off of the car and what fell out?? banana's GET REAL!!!!

This actually makes me sick!!!!

just voicing my thoughts  :rant;

Ugghhh and i just read on here that she has 6 hour treatments................ WHAT!!! OMG!!!!

I have 6 hour treatments. I also have an upper arm fistula and since I use blunt needles I can wave my arms around. And yes my pump speed is slow. Well slower than it was in center anyway. I use a 300 pump speed. But if I were to do 8 hour treatments instead of 6 I can lower my pump speed even more. There is one patient in my unit that I think uses a 225 pump speed. I don't think you can go much lower than that though. I haven't seen the show so I don't know how low it was on the show or how much the guy waved his arms around.

Oh yeah I am in training (almost done) for home nocturnal hemodialysis using the Fresenius 2008K2 machine. I highly recommend home nocturnal hemo if you can do it. It's the best waiting list for a transplant. No diet restrictions. I will be as healthy as I can be for that transplant someday.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
AnnaLee

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 09:52:15 AM »

OMG...Susan got her kidney from a neighbor who killed herself.  She(the suicide lady) went to the hospital and signed papers to give her kidney to Susan, then shot herself in the head right there in the hospital.  They have given the impression to the general viewer that you have to be dead to be a kidney donor.  Too bad they didn't do their research very well when writing his show, but, oh well, it IS just a TV show.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 09:58:20 AM »

OMG...Susan got her kidney from a neighbor who killed herself.  She(the suicide lady) went to the hospital and signed papers to give her kidney to Susan, then shot herself in the head right there in the hospital.  They have given the impression to the general viewer that you have to be dead to be a kidney donor.  Too bad they didn't do their research very well when writing his show, but, oh well, it IS just a TV show.

Jesus Christ on a cracker. If you watch this show, please write to their advertisers. This is unconscionable.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2011, 01:15:52 AM »

I used to watch this show, but ever since the whole kidney subject came up, I have found myself deleting it from tivo without watching the episodes. I guess my gut feeling is correct ... it couldn't be good.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2011, 07:04:46 AM »

ive never really had cable, so i havent seen many episodes, it seemed like a cute show the few episodes id seen...
this is disappointing... but at least they are getting some word out, its unfortunate its an inaccurate protrail though.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2011, 10:10:08 AM »

Ack.  I've watched Desperate Housewives since the first season, but we're a few weeks behind the US so it restarts this coming Wednesday and we'll find out that Susan's kidney's got damaged in the stampede.  I sort of wish I'd steered clear of this thread (if anyone says who it was who committed suicide I shall be very very unhappy!) but I'm quite looking forward to shouting at the tellybox in disbelief and anger.

For what it's worth, Desperate Housewives has never been a realistic show and has never portrayed anything remotely believable (at least, I hope not; you lot across the pond must be nuts if it is realistic.)  I'd like to think that the ordinary Joe Bloggs in the street would realise that the kidney storyline is as much tosh as all the other toshful storylines, but I know I am naive to think this. 

Oh well, I shall now practise my best yelling at the telly voice (and hope that some of the other storylines make it worth watching.)

;D 

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »