I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 12:21:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  abdominal pain/trouble associated with dialysis??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: abdominal pain/trouble associated with dialysis??  (Read 8758 times)
DomJDavis1985

« on: March 26, 2011, 07:39:20 PM »

so about a week and a half ago i started waking up with the worst stomach pain i have ever had in my life....it got to the point where it would wake me up out of my sleep in the morning around 5:30 and keep me up until time for me to get up and go to school and/or work..the first day or two i ignored it thinking it was just constipation ...however after reading on line about appendicitis and how if your appendix bursts it can kill you i went to the emergency room...they diagnosed me with pancreatitis...(inflamed/infected pancreas) and gave me a prescription for antibiotics and some pain pills to take as needed....this was about a week ago...and while the pain is not as bad as it was the first few days..it is slowly starting to come back...now i do Hemodialysis...i know with PD there is a risk for abdominal infections but is this common with HD as well?? has anyone else experienced this and is this normal with Dialysis???? i am just wondering.
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 08:18:39 PM »

Some antibiotics need to be taken AFTER dialysis so they do not get dialyzed out.  Same with pain meds.  Does your nephrologist know what you are taking?

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
DomJDavis1985

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 09:13:54 PM »

yes i talked to my neph about it the other day...i usually take my pain meds at night...around 11:30...and i do not have dialysis until 11 in the morning from 11 to 3:30....so its about 12 hours in between....hmm i never thought about that...perhaps the antibiotics are getting dialyzed out.....
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 06:35:26 AM »

No i dont think its common , i think you are just unlucky to have it at the same time .

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 06:56:04 AM »

yes i talked to my neph about it the other day...i usually take my pain meds at night...around 11:30...and i do not have dialysis until 11 in the morning from 11 to 3:30....so its about 12 hours in between....hmm i never thought about that...perhaps the antibiotics are getting dialyzed out.....

This link   http://www.ckdinsights.com/downloads/DialysisDrugs2010.pdf   shows a chart of the dialyzability of meds.  You will need to know its generic name.  To make it easier to read you might want to change the page magnification to 100%.  Scroll down to the KEY on page 17 and then start looking for your meds.

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 12:27:59 PM »

Be careful of infections such as c. diff that can be transmitted in hospitals and other groups of sick people.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 01:11:25 PM »

This may delay your PD for awhile. Get to the bottom of it before you take on the endeavor of PD. Keep us posted, Dom!

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 02:59:44 PM »

This may delay your PD for awhile. Get to the bottom of it before you take on the endeavor of PD. Keep us posted, Dom!

Er, she is not doing pd , she is on hemo . The point she is making is that things like this can occur while on pd but is it common while on hemo .  :2thumbsup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 03:13:53 PM »

Ah, sorry KS, dont mean to correct you, but she has previously expressed interest in PD as a viable obtion for her. Just informing her to hold off if it is still what SHE wishes to do!

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 03:24:04 PM »

Oh must have missed that  :2thumbsup;

DomJDavis1985

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 07:15:21 PM »

yes good advice @lmunchkin..i am gonna go to the doctor again Monday to get a second opinion and make sure everything is okay...i am gonna go talk to the doctors more about PD later this week but i probably wont start it til the end of April or early May..i am crossing my fingers that this will not affect my PD.
LostWife

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 10:47:30 AM »

Do you happen to take Januvia? sp?  My husband did (and apparently did NOT even need it, but that is a diff story) and it caused him to have 2 sep episodes on severe pancreatitis.
DomJDavis1985

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »

no i do not take Januvia..what is that??? when your husband had Pancreatitis how long did it last???? the severe pain ended a few days ago but i still feel some tenderness and i took my last antibiotic (it was only prescribed for 7 days) on Saturday night
LostWife

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 06:09:48 AM »

About a week but he was hospitalized.  It's a diabetes med (and he's not diabetic!  but that's a whole different story!)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »