I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:18:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  USC transplants kidney into wrong person
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: USC transplants kidney into wrong person  (Read 1548 times)
YLGuy
Elite Member

« on: February 17, 2011, 04:48:41 PM »

USC transplants kidney into wrong person
Comments (0) (141) (104)
February 17, 2011 |  3:44 pm
USC University Hospital shut down its kidney transplant program last month after a kidney was accidentally transplanted into the wrong patient, according to a spokesman for the program that coordinates organ transplants in Los Angeles.

The patient escaped harm apparently because the mistake involved a kidney that happened to be a close enough match, said Bryan Stewart, a spokesman for One Legacy, which was notified of the error by the hospital.

TELL US WHAT YOU KNOW: Share your story about this program with The Times

In a statement, the hospital confirmed that it had temporarily and voluntarily halted transplants Jan. 29 after a “process error” was discovered. The hospital did not detail the nature of the error and declined to answer questions. But it said that no patients were harmed.

A spokesman for the state Department of Public Health said the licensing agency was investigating. The hospital said transplants may resume as early as today, pending the conclusion of its own investigation.

“The hospital inactivated the program while clinical protocols are assessed and additional safeguards to the kidney transplant program are developed," the hospital’s statement said.

The hospital said it notified the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) on Feb. 4 that the kidney program had been halted.

The review of the program, includes "validation of a corrective action plan by a kidney transplant surgeon and transplant administrator from other transplant centers, and staff from the UNOS Department of Quality," the hospital said.

As of Feb. 11, USC had 508 patients waiting for kidneys, including 313 men and 195 women, according to UNOS, a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services program that organizes the distribution of organs for transplant.

“The California Department of Public Health has an ongoing investigation at the University of Southern California’s hospitals, and we are unable to provide further information,” said spokesman Ralph Montano. The department licenses hospitals in California and investigates complaints from patients, workers and members of the public, as well as certain significant incidents that hospitals are required to report. Montano could not say when or how the USC investigation began.

RELATED:

USC shuts down kidney transplant program after mistake

USC University Hospital nurses and staff picket amid contract negotiations

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/02/usc-transplants-kidney-into-wrong-person.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:51:21 PM by YLGuy » Logged
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »

:oops;
Wow!  How could that happen?
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 10:23:06 AM »

I just realised that THIS is why I have received a survey from USC, despite the fact that I was listed with them in 2007, and transferred to Cedars less than 2 months later. When will this transplant program be shut down for good?? I am writing a scathing response to their survey, which - as Gwyn points out - managed to piss me off in just five sentences (not counting the survey), and this was before I learned this news! Good lord!!! They are a danger to society. They had an inexcusable death rate for liver transplants and were being investigated by Medicare back in 2006, now they cannot even handle a kidney transplant??!!

Here is what the letter says. Spot the lies!! My comments in brackets.

Dear Patient: [I am already fuming. They cannot use a program that will insert my first name??!!]

On 7/5/2007 [wrong date] you were evaluated by the USC Transplant Center as a candidate for transplant. As part of the evaluation, the staff shared transplant information and talked to you about what you might expect if you were accepted as a transplant candidate. [You weren't there, so how would you know? And "IF you were accepted"? As if you are doing me some great big bloody favor!!!] We need you to verify that you were told about the following: [Not please, not 'could you take a moment' just 'we need - do it!' Aside from that, this phrasing is ordering people to answer yes.]

(please circle the correct response) [yes and no choices for each one]

Evaluation Process
Surgical Procedure
Alternative Treatments
Potential Medical and Psychosocial Risks [you mean, like we might lose your kidney and give it to someone else?]
National and USC Transplant Outcomes [ :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; as if they would ever highlight that information!]
Organ Donor Risk Factors
Your Right to Refuse a Transplant
If the transplant is not performed in a Medicare-approved transplant center it could affect immunosuppressive drug coverage under Medicare Part B (USC is a Medicare approved transplant center).
[If this is still true, it is only by the very skin of their teeth!]

This letter is needed for your medical record and needs to be signed, dated and returned as soon as possible. [Thinly veiled threat that if you don't comply, you will somehow screw up your records, and perhaps your chances of getting a transplant. They try to make it sound like this is for the patient's benefit?!]

Please call xxx-xxx-xxxx with any questions you may have. [The only use of the word please in this entire missive.]

[It is then signed by their Chief Medical Officer]

I am sending this survey back with my own comments for their enlightenment. The envelope is addressed to the chief medical officer, but my letter will begin "Dear Medical Worker" They are as obnoxious as they are incompetent.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »