I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 01:34:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Greetings from New Jersey
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greetings from New Jersey  (Read 2286 times)
tpears86

Last of the Jukebox Romeos

« on: April 04, 2011, 05:00:48 PM »

Good Evening Folks.

My name is Tom. I'm 24, I live in NJ with my aunt and uncle, and I am on dialysis. Simple enough right? I guess I should really intrudoce myself. I have FSGSand I've had it since I was 18 months old. Throughout life, I've had many great moments, and many bad moments. I've been blessed with three kidney transplants, yet all have failed because 1) My body produces the disease and 2) Random crap happens. I live with my aunt and uncle because my parents are...well I won't go into a expletive tirade, but they're screw ups. I've been on dialysis four different times, the longest being 18 months and without kidneys. Finding a website like this makes me extremely happy to see though I am in common with, and hope to read fun, great, and just stories overall that will make me happy. I do apologize about this intro being long, but it's nice to type and having a treatment today, this is somehow keeping me awake. If any questions about life, stuff, or what I do (since I am making myself dinner now,) please ask.

~Tom

"Within a mile of home is where the heart is"

"If you never let me go. Then I will never let you down."

Jersey Born and Raised, and about 50% proud of it

FSGS since 18 months old
3x Transplants, all failed for different reasons
4th time on Dialysis
Straight-Edge and better than most people
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 05:05:04 PM »

:welcomesign; Welcome Tom! Your intro was not too long. I am glad you found IHD.  It is a wonderful website with some pretty knowledgeable people who are very supportive.  New Jersey...Are you a Giants fan?
tpears86

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 05:15:15 PM »

Thanks YLGuy. Actually no, I'm not a fan of any NY or NJ sports teams. Baseball: Cubs and Dodgers. Football: Bears. College: Michigan. Hockey: Pittsburgh. Heh, I'm a bit of a sports nut. It's my release from treatment or anything bad.

FSGS since 18 months old
4th time on Dialysis
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 05:17:25 PM »

:welcomesign; Tom. We're so glad you found us. We have quite a few members with FSGS - I am sorry that you have such an aggressive and fast-acting version of it. You sound like a remarkably positive person who has seen too much in his young life. I look forward to reading your posts!

Oh, and your into was quite concise, actually. We really don't know the meaning of 'too long' here, especially when it comes to intros - the more you want to share and contribute, the faster we get to know you. :) So jump right into the discussions. Don't be shy!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 05:25:01 PM »

Hi Tom.  We have a few things in common.  I have fsgs, too, and I am a sports nut.  I live in the Chicago area, but I'm originally from Houston, so I have to put up with the Cubs and the Bears when I'd much rather watch the Astros and the Texans (OK, so I'm a masochist...).

I was diagnosed 20 years ago but am not on dialysis yet, although it's just a matter of time.  I, too, keep my mind occupied with sports.  We've got the NCAA championship game tonight, baseball is just getting underway, the Formula 1 season has just started, so some good things are in the pipeline.  Not sure what will happen with the NFL and the lockout, but I'm sure some deal will get done because Jerry Jones has to pay for his Palace in Dallas. ::)

I'm so glad you've joined IHD!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
carol1987

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »

Hi Tom.. I am from North Jersey!  I have PKD ... welcome to IHD!!! Lots of great info and support here...

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »

:welcomesign; TOM!

Glad to have you here! Stick around and you'll get to know quite a few great folks!

Lots of support and information here!  :2thumbsup;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 06:05:25 PM »

Hello Tom.  Hubby & I like sports too!
Me: Titans (Pro), College: Vanderbuilt; Football, basketball, & baseball & totally NASCAR crazy(love all of the drivers, but pull for Jeff Gordon. Now if Vandy womens basketball is not doing well or is out I definately support Pat Summit (Lady Vols)
Hubby: Bears (Pro) College: U of Louisville, Football, basketball & baseball & Nascar Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Good to have you aboard, Tom.

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 06:51:39 PM »

Really great to have ya here :-) and great intro!!  It's so nice to get to know who we're talking to and ya drew out a really neat picture  :)  So much goodness here, hope you continue to write :)   :welcomesign;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
napala turki

Have to plan for living

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 09:16:59 PM »

thats life, been 3 x transplant waouu...

My country Malaysia... waiting list of few thousand patients....

Welcome to IHD... :flower;
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 09:28:02 PM »

G'day Tom & Welcome to IHD!

Mate your intro was very good and to the point. You want long, rambling fairly useless posts check out some of mine sometime!  :rofl;

You've had a fair old whack in 24 years of life, but sounds like you're living life as best you can and making the most of a difficult situation - and thinking positive is a big thing in my book - it can only help you out. Still, there must be times when you just want to yell at the world and everyone and how much it sucks.. and that's what we're here for (in part, anyway!). As a FSGS sufferer myself, and just having had my first transplant I have the understanding and fear that FSGS will strike my new miracle, as it has with your previous transplants - so while I won't say to you "I understand" how it is for you, I *will* say that I have definitely been contemplating those issues over recent times.

Anyway it's great to have you with us, and hopefully we can help you keep your sanity, sense of humour and good outlook. Great to have you with us!

RichardMEL, Moderator

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 03:05:22 AM »

G'day, Tom, and  :welcomesign;. :ausflag;

Galvo
Beth35

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 05:48:41 AM »

Welcome Tom!  I live in central jersey.  I'm a huge football fan!  Go Giants!

Found out I had kidney disease when I was 15.
Started dialysis when I was 20.
Got a kidney transplant when I was 25.
Kidney failed at 37 and I began my second journey on dialysis.
Heymike

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 11:47:14 AM »

Hey Tom, gald to meet you I'm new too . You're going to like it here.  Great folks/much support.

The most fundamental thing about understanding is...Understanding that you don't understand.
AguynamedKim

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 06:28:04 AM »

Great intro, Tom, and  :welcomesign;!  You've certainly been through a lot and we're glad you found us here.  I'm a sad lot like Moosemom and support the Houston Dis-Astros and Texans along with the San Francisco Giants and 49ers (If my grandma rooted for them, I sure as heck am going to).

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 07:28:12 AM »

Welcome to our community, Tom!  This is just the place for you.  Here you will find that people understand what you are goinAnd, by the way, that was quite a short intro!  The founder of IHD, Epoman, loved a looooooog intro.  Please look on us as your new family :grouphug; - this is the place for information, support and even fun.  Just keep reading and keep posting.

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »

Welcome to the group, Tom.  Lots of good information and friends here.  Glad you found us!
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 12:48:17 PM »

Hi from  :ukflag; 4 kidneys installed (only 1 working!)  :)

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
tpears86

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »

Thank you everyone for the comments and the very warm welcome. I already feel happier being on here and will make an attempt to get to know everyone. Now if only I can get my damn computer fixed so I can actually post more =P

FSGS since 18 months old
4th time on Dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »