I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 08:25:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  new machines are making me crash
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new machines are making me crash  (Read 3301 times)
sullidog
Elite Member

« on: March 10, 2011, 02:15:07 PM »

Our dialysis center got new machines. We went from backster to now fersenious machines. The problem is the new machines work harder and there for I'm crashing. I have no UF because I don't gain fluid, it just pulls the minium. I still crash and have to eat ice on the machine just to make it through a whole treatment, then when I get home I get sick, not dizzy, just sick. I made this aware to my staff and they are going to try a smaller dialyzer because they say I may be clearing too quickly? They say that backster was just a bandade type machine and doesn't work as well as these. Do you think a smaller dialyzer is enough? or is there something else that needs adjusted.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 03:08:10 PM »

Which Fresenious machine is it ?  I dont know about the Baxter machines, but the new one you are on may be the type that does HDF as opposed to the older type which just do HD. When i started on hemo we have all the latest machines and ours do HDF, which is more aggressive , i was sick all the time. Then one of the nurses said she had seen this happen before when they changed from the old machines to the new ones, so they set mine to just do HD and pretty much since then ive been a lot better. It might be worth finding out if you are now on HDF.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 07:17:51 PM »

curious........ HDF???

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 03:42:43 AM »

Oh yeah! I can answer this one.

I moved from HD to the new HDF machines.

It is the Ferarri of the dialysis machines and it is currently the best in the business. It is called Hemo Dialysis Filtration.
1. it uses tap water (which it sterelises before it uses it) not saline bags
2. it filters out more. HD can filter molecules up to a certain size but HDF filters a lot more out. The long term illnesses associated with kidney disease are a thing of the past as this machine takes care of those. Like renal artheritise (sorry about the spelling) calcification of arteries ect.
3. Because it is so good it has one downside - it removes vitamins and too much potassium and other needed goodies out as well. So you do need to ask the doc to give you a multivitamin and in my case I now have to add 2 potassium tablets everyday as it removes too much potassium and then I get heart palpitations.  :bandance;
4. When you work out how much fluid to remove you must realise that it reinfuses less fluid than the HD machines. They must account for this.
5. Ask them to use postfiltration as this makes the treatment more "mild' on the body and you dont crash as much.
6. In fact it is proven to be better as it does not make your blood pressure drop - it automatically adjusts it.

I asked them in the beginning to alternate between HD and HDF untill I was used to it. Believe me the other day the HDF did not work and I did a HD by accident and I felt worse afterwards for 2 days.

Don't go back to HD please, hang in there it will get better once the staff gets used to the new settings.
Good luck.   
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 03:44:39 AM by Des » Logged

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:18:38 AM »

:clap; excellent description Des ! One or 2 points though , it IS supposed to give better overall D but i found my labs havent changed really by going backwards and using HD. My body couldnt tolerate HDF so it really doesnt suit everyone. Quite a few people find it very aggressive .

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 10:58:04 AM »

great info!!! thanks for taking the time to help us out here  ;D

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 12:06:17 AM »

It's hemodiafiltration. Sullidog - what's your pre/post weight/blood pressure?

It sounds like a fluid problem, not a solute problem.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 11:28:09 PM »

I've never heard of that term, but I have now! My bp usually ranges in the 130's but when I start to crash one day it went down to 113 over 80 and one day the top was 125 which is still in normal range and not crash range. My wait is 53 and both post and pre. They give me flushes every half hour.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 10:34:57 PM »

I just can't see how the additional solute removal would cause 'crash' symptoms.

Typically I would call having low blood pressure crashing - and that is almost always a fluid issue. It sounds like your unit is right on top of things with regard to fluid. You say you have headaches post treatment - that to me sounds like it could be an issue with the sodium and /or conductivity of the dialysate.

I attended the Annual Dialysis Conference last month and heard a talk by Andrew Davenport, MD. He presented data that dialysate sodium varies greatly and is often not what is expected. The machines say one thing but independent testing reveals the machine's lack of accuracy. There were huge and frequent variations measured. I'd ask if the dialysate delivered by the machine has been tested independently in a robust way to confirm the proper sodium is being delivered.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 10:36:10 PM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 06:35:43 PM »

I know there are some people who dont do well with the filters.... they are allergic ....   they have other filiters for those people....  ask about those....   

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
billmoria

Living life to my max

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 06:57:13 PM »

I use a F 5000  and it is very aggressive. If it takes off too much liquid (and that could be it) drink something during D. I always have liquid to take off and it frequently took off to much in the beginning.
You can learn to read the machine and if you dialysis staff shows you (and allows you - I really don't understand the ones that do not) you can makes changes as you do your D.
HDF is superior to HD but some people on our shift stick to HD for reasons that sound much like yours.

I hope you do better

WMoriarty
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »