I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 09:37:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Info needed on transplant list
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Info needed on transplant list  (Read 1754 times)
youngdrew

« on: April 05, 2011, 11:47:55 AM »

So I have been on the transplant list for close to a year now. The problem I'm having is trying to find my status on the list. I know it's only been a year but I would still like to know. I talked to my transplant coordinator at my hospital and she said she couldn't tell me because she didn't know. That seems a little but odd to me. This is really my first brushes with this since my last transplant was living-related. My father donated. I would just like some information on how to find out or who I might call that could tell me. Thanks for any help!
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 01:13:52 PM »

One reason your transplant clinic cannot really tell you where you are on the list is because they really DON'T know.

When organs become available the are matched across the country for the best recipients. My husband's kidney came from New England (we are in Tennessee).

You can go to the OPTN site to see what the average wait is for your transplant center, but it will only be an approximation.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:17:41 PM »

youngdrew, it's a chance draw.  Asking for your spot on the list is like asking when your lotto numbers are going to come up.  When they get a donated kidney, they first look at the whole list of everyone with that blood type.  Then, in some order that only the computer programmer actually understands, they look at who has the best antibody match out of the 6 antibodies in each kidney, while factoring in wait time on the list.  The antibody match is tricky, because 6 out of 6 matching is rare.  So if we bump down into 4 or 5 out of 6, then the number of possible matches begins to multiple exponentially.   Then they have to call more than one person with similar wait time on the list and put them on notice that they might be called in.   Then they start subtracting anyone who currently has some complication that might not let them take the kidney right now.  If you survive all that, the kidney is yours, if you can get to the hospital in time.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 05:17:28 PM »

Only time I found out was when UNOS accidentally taken me off the list because someone did not read the screen right when updating. Someone else with the same name got the transplant, but they marked me as getting it. So I then was told I was at the top of the list. However like previous post, you won't find out.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012