I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 03:23:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  husbnd's a bad boy (again)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: husbnd's a bad boy (again)  (Read 7962 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 11:40:31 AM »

I'm so sorry for your loss :grouphug;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
karrye

If Life give you Limes, make lemonade instead.

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 06:23:40 AM »

What is it with the men on here?  Do they think they are invincible or something? Geesh!!  Lee is extremely religious in taking his meds (and after this last bout of 'dementia' a bit over zealous!) and making ALL doctor apts, but not so religious as to follow all the guidelines on eating and 'exercising' his maturing fistula!

I finally got me a notepad I keep in my purse and I keep details on his meds and doctor apts.  This way, I KNOW what is coming up in case Lee goes off the deep end again.

I understand the frustration and I can't believe him not going into dialysis for his session!  I would be having purple dragons flying out my....ummm...well think on it everyone! :P

Anyway, one minute at a time and go from there Texasstyle.  I am there rooting for you.

Caregiver to husband:
Had surgery April 25, 2011 to bring fistula nearer to top of the skin.
Had staples removed from surgery on fistula May 3, 2011
Who started dialysis 1st week of December 2010.
Complete kidney failure November 30, 2010.
Surgery for 95% blockages in his right carotid and jugular February 22, 2011
Heart attack -- January 24, 2011
Chemotherapy -- September 2009 to April 2010
Colon Cancer -- April 2009
Colon removed --August 2009
Diagnosed with diabetes, Summer of 1996.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 06:25:28 AM »

whoa! :) not all men are created equal. Many are giants compared to me!!!  :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
carla13

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 07:27:16 AM »

Speaking from a female dialysis patient's point of view, when I was on Haemo, I often sat in the waiting room at the local centre listening to the men talk about how much they had drunk the previous weekend, how few of their tablets they had taken, and how much junk they had eaten, and I'm sorry Richard it was usually ONLY men who talked like this.

The selfishness of this never ceases to amaze me. Not only are your family worried about you because you are ill, but you then put extra stress and strain in their lives by not stepping up and dealing with that illness. I have no idea what you can do about this texasstyle, especially as you are grieving right now.  I feel so deeply for you and can only guess at your frustration and helplessness.

sending hugs, it's not practical help, but hopefully the support you receive on here alleviates it a little...

xx
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 04:39:22 PM »

Carla - it's OK - in one of the few threads about various "wayward" males I commented that it did seem to only be the males that acted this way (at least that we've heard of on here anyway - I am sure there are the odd women who are similar, but maybe we don't hear about them because mostly it's female partners/caregivers/spouses that post on here... indeed come to think of it is anyone on here a male caregiver for a female on dialysis?).

I too find it puzzling as to why there would be these people who so blatantly abuse themselves, and affect not only them badly, but those that they love. Since I'm not in that boat myself, it's just an attitude I can't fathom.

I have thought maybe it is something to do with a bit of rebelling against the rules and restrictions imposed on you by CKD/dialysis - sort of "I'm frustrated/depressed/angry with my life.. so screw you!" sort of thing, or maybe it's part of that general male stereotype that some think they're invincible or something and CAN do what they like despite all evidence to the contrary, or maybe it's something as relatively understandable as "my life is so difficult I want to at least treat myself with chocolate and enjoy SOMETHING" - taken to an extreme.

Maybe it's a combination of all of these things.

I'm sure there's a psychology paper in there somewhere!!

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 05:07:14 PM »

I can't fathom either how anybody can abuse their bodies and there loved ones. Hubby is almost too much the other way. He is not going to miss a dialysis treatment or not take his meds.  He is going to eat the things he is supposed to eat without any encouragement from me!!  I have seen males and females have the attitude that they are invincible and nobody is going to tell them what to do.  In the end though they are only being destructive to themselves.  My heart goes out to the caregivers who have to deal with this type of behavior.  :cuddle; :flower; :cuddle; :flower;

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 06:29:23 PM »

Well it's not the answer to all, but some family members do not step up and allow it to happen, but then complain about it, or do not educate themselves to help monitor so they can proportion and cook the right food and drink.

Or the men just droan out what they think is nagging because they were not aproached in the right way?

I just grabbing at straws, but as you know, there are so many possible reasons.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 06:36:55 PM »

Chris - nagging - that's one I forgot. With the best intentions a loved one/caregiver can be saying "you shouldn't do this, or that" and some people will react negatively to that.. being bossed around, on top of restrictions etc, and will rebel just because it's all too much, or they don't want to be nagged etc.

And unfortunately no matter how much you try and educate or explain you're doing it because you love them and want them to be in the best shape etc.. it just won't sink in.

That's why I usually advise here to just leave it. Let them know, and it's their decision and responsibility. Badgering someone who doesn't want to listen won't help any....

texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2011, 03:10:42 PM »

OMG, we were "on him" for years. Then we stepped back. Then on him again. Then stepped back. I'm just 5'2. He is 6'1. I can't put him over my shoulders. I am not an enabler butthere is only so much you can do. You can lead a horse to water.... I do the best in doing my part though.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2011, 12:21:15 AM »

TS, when I got married ( the first time) my Mom gifted me with a cast iron skillet. Wasnt for cooking, it was to smack him upside the head if he got out of hand. She was serious too. Have you thought of getting one, just to wave it in front of him when he gets out of control ?

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2011, 05:43:14 AM »

I think in general women are more nurturing. We as females have to feed and take care of an infant so it's partly instinctive of us. Men as a species gather and hunt, then lay on the couch. Haaa.. They are providers but women are the caretakers. We are the one making sure everyone else is ok. Something like that

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2011, 02:50:40 PM »

I'm stepping ack and away, I do not want to get  :Kit n Stik;   :-[

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2011, 03:15:39 PM »

I think in general women are more nurturing. We as females have to feed and take care of an infant so it's partly instinctive of us. Men as a species gather and hunt, then lay on the couch. Haaa.. They are providers but women are the caretakers. We are the one making sure everyone else is ok. Something like that

I have to share this evolutionary biology lesson with all of you, so gather 'round!

Do you ever wonder why your man leaves his dirty socks around, why you can pretty much see where he has been in the house?  It's because men leave trails.  Why do they leave trails?  Because long ago when men had to travel great distances to follow herds to hunt, the compass had not yet been invented, so to be able to find their way back home, they'd leave markers along the way.  The left TRAILS!  AND THEY STILL DO!  From my seat here in our living room, I can look around and see my husband's shoes, his tie, his scarf and his suit jacket.

Ever wonder why your man can't find the mustard even though it is right there in front of him?  It's because long ago, it was the women who combed the forest floor for edibles.  They had to have good eyesight and be able to discern tiny details so that they'd pick the edible mushrooms instead of the poisonous ones.  The role of the man was to hunt critters, the bigger the better.  They didn't need to see a lot of detail.

Want to know why the human female is at the top of the evolutionary chain?  Specialization.  The more specialized an organism is, the higher up they are on this chain.  Humans are at the top.  Males have (ahem) one orifice for defecation and one for both urination and reproduction.  The human female is even more specialized in that she has three separate orifices, one for each of these bodily functions. 

This is all good ammunition if you want to have a really nasty domestic tiff. :rofl;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2011, 05:29:45 AM »

I love that mom! Especially about the socks and trails haaa. So true! And there are always pairs of shoes around. Put them away! You don't need 25  pair under the coffee table. I hate that...lol That was an interesting article and yes, I am going to use in time of need! lol

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2011, 08:40:08 PM »

Ught o, I'm different. I hate when someone leaves shoes out, leaves clothes on the floor (that's why we have clothes bins in the closet!), or makes a mess in the kitchen and doesn't clean up after themselves. Yet I take offense to that generalization of human history  :rofl; :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

carla13

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 05:40:53 AM »

Uh-oh, I think I must have been a man in a previous life.... :rofl;

karrye

If Life give you Limes, make lemonade instead.

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2011, 05:33:10 AM »

:rofl;
MOOSEMOM!!!

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Caregiver to husband:
Had surgery April 25, 2011 to bring fistula nearer to top of the skin.
Had staples removed from surgery on fistula May 3, 2011
Who started dialysis 1st week of December 2010.
Complete kidney failure November 30, 2010.
Surgery for 95% blockages in his right carotid and jugular February 22, 2011
Heart attack -- January 24, 2011
Chemotherapy -- September 2009 to April 2010
Colon Cancer -- April 2009
Colon removed --August 2009
Diagnosed with diabetes, Summer of 1996.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »