I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 05:32:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  My Valentine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Valentine  (Read 2192 times)
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« on: February 14, 2011, 01:41:51 PM »

The silly bugger managed to become ill half-way round Tesco on Saturday.  We were in the milk aisle and he was 'overcome'.  I panicked and panic makes me angry and angry makes me offer him no sympathy and unleash my wild tongue in his direction. 

What irked me most was that we'd just come from the Skoda garage to talk about getting Blokey a spankingly brand new car.  Him being 'overcome' (we're not sure why; he was breathless, pale and thought he was going to be sick - he was fine once we were home and he'd been back in bed all afternoon, but I wasn't because it was at that point that I read billybag's post about her hubby's heart attack!) meant that I missed out on looking at a new settee and armchair.  I've only wanted them for YEARS.  He's wanted a brand spanking new car for about a MONTH!

I know he felt really bad because we went settee shopping on Sunday and I have a new settee, armchair and storage thingy coming in a few weeks.

:clap;

Plus, he bought me roses.

Yes, I feel a little guilty for making him feel really awful about being ill.  But I think sometimes he needs to be reminded that him being ill affects me too!

;D

(Gosh, this sounds really selfish and horrid.  I'm not a bad person, really.)

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 04:30:40 PM »

I think sometimes this can happen. I've had a few experiences like that over the years. One minute fine doing whatever, then it's like you lose all energy and feel wretched.. and then you feel worse when it's somewhere public (like a supermarket!) that you're going to puke and you don't have a bag handy or anything and don't want to create a scene, let alone doing it etc. And of course if you're with someone there's that feeling too. It could have been anything - sudden drop in BP, maybe a smell in the aisle set some kind of tummy reaction off.. anything. I'm sorry that happened.

i remember one time a few years ago (this is a bit different, but it was very difficult for me) I was at the airport. I had a plane to catch. I wasn't late, but I didn't have much time.. so there I was, running (well OK, fast walking) through the check-in area to get to departures for my flight and I swear right in the middle of the floor I.. just.. stopped. I mean literally came to a grinding halt. I didn't fall over but I couldn't move. I just had NO ENERGY. It was one of the scariest things that I ever experienced. Then I started to get into a blind panic because I thought "oh crap. What is this??!!" I didn't feel sick per se, just like someone pulled my batteries out. I was stuck for a few minutes before I could move again. I'm sure I looked quite the site just sort of standing there probably looking either lost or terrified! :rofl; Nobody was with me at least. Luckily it only lasted a little bit and I was able to move, but slowly, after a couple of minutes. I made my plane OK but was a bit shaken... but I was fine for the rest of that day, and never had a problem like that since. I think it just reminds me that things can and do happen - some of them you just can't explain.....

At least you have your new furniture on the way and Blokey is better. These are things to celebrate! :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 09:36:35 AM »

Yikes, that sounds terrible Richard!

With Blokey it's as though he gets ill when something nice is happening.  The last time this (noticeably) happened was in October when we went away for the weekend.  This coming Saturday we have a day trip to London planned and I'm convinced that he's going to be ill again!  We've already had to cancel this trip once because of the complications he had following his op last summer.  I've made him promise to go easy on the fluid removal at Friday's dialysis session (just in case!)

Sometimes I wonder if it's stress related.  Maybe he subconsciously worries and that brings these symptoms on.

Anyways, I am indeed celebrating his health(!) and my new furniture ... how could I not?

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »