I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 11:39:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  High Risk of Death to Dialysis Patients with Nasal MRSA
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: High Risk of Death to Dialysis Patients with Nasal MRSA  (Read 2042 times)
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« on: January 23, 2011, 10:51:36 PM »

High Risk of Death to Dialysis Patients with Nasal MRSA
By Peter Laird, MD

MRSA is a ubiquitous problem to patients with chronic renal disease, especially in the dialysis center setting.  A recent study highlights the extent that colonization with MRSA can impact patient mortality.

Nasal Carriage of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus Is Associated with Higher All-Cause Mortality in Hemodialysis Patients

Results We identified 29 MRSA carriers (9.48%) at study entry. After a median of 613 days of follow-up, Kaplan-Meier analysis showed significant survival differences between MRSA carriers and noncarriers (log-rank P = 0.02). Compared with noncarriers, MRSA carriers had a 2.46-fold increased risk of dying from any cause, after adjusting for covariates at the start of follow-up. The adjusted hazard ratios of infection-related mortality and occurrence of subsequent S. aureusinfection in carriers were 4.99 and 4.31, respectively.

Conclusions A major limitation is the relatively small sample size of MRSA carriers. Nevertheless, we demonstrated that there may be an association between MRSA nasal carriage and poor clinical outcomes in an outpatient hemodialysis population. This underscores the need for routine surveillance of MRSA nasal carriage and should alert the physicians of a group at high risk of morbidity and mortality.

Treatment options for nasal MRSA carriage are highly effective and relatively easy to apply. Routine screening for MRSA is not a current practice in the dialysis unit, but the impact that simply having the bacteria in a dialysis patients nose coupled with effective treatment options brings this issue to the forefront of preventable deaths in the dialysis unit.  The difficulty of this approach is that many patients in the unit would need to be treated simultaneously as well as the nursing and physician staff members who are likewise at high risk of MRSA colonization.  In addition, MRSA nasal carriage recurrence occurs quite frequently. At the very least, adherence to proper hand hygiene could mitigate the spread of MRSA between patients.  MRSA will remain a difficult problem for dialysis patients in the foreseeable future.

http://www.hemodoc.com/2011/01/high-risk-of-death-to-dialysis-patients-with-nasal-mrsa.html

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 01:02:18 PM »

I guess we need to have more people wear mask  and gloves...   everyone including the doctors who make the rounds and the heads of staff that just walk around..and vistors.... 

I think private rooms for dialysis would keep down infection....  like they do in hospitals...   

staph a.   is scary.... 

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 01:27:53 PM »

I guess we need to have more people wear mask  and gloves...   everyone including the doctors who make the rounds and the heads of staff that just walk around..and vistors.... 

I think private rooms for dialysis would keep down infection....  like they do in hospitals...   

staph a.   is scary....

Dear Tyefly, the best place to do dialysis is in the comfort of your own home as you already know.  We still have much we know about infection control in dialysis units that is simply overlooked.  Hopefully that culture of benign neglect of infection control issues will pass.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 01:56:31 PM »

What  are  the  symptoms  of  this  nasal  MRSA?

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 02:15:13 PM »

What  are  the  symptoms  of  this  nasal  MRSA?

It is asymptomatic since it is not an infection, it is colononization of the nasal mucosa.  In other words, it is just a resident of the nose that is waiting for an opportunity to invade an open skin entrance or through contamination directly with dialysis treatments through improper hand hygiene.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 07:23:41 AM »

Dear Tyefly, the best place to do dialysis is in the comfort of your own home as you already know. 
Not always.

I'm a bachelor, and I'm not a fastidious housekeeper.
I'm not able to get rid of my carpets because they came with the apartment I'm renting.

Keeping my home as clean as a hospital would be far too much work for me to do while I'm struggling with kidney failure and dialysis at the same time.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »