I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 05:03:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula is Ready to Use!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula is Ready to Use!  (Read 3914 times)
GraphicBass

« on: January 20, 2011, 06:58:56 PM »

Glory be! I'll be able to take a REAL shower by next weekend, if all goes well.

Visited the vascular surgeon this afternoon and he officially pronounce my fistula "ready to go." Pretty fast  — it's only been about 2 months since the surgery, but everything is "thrilling" right along. Even my clumsy fingers can feel the pulse.

I have a note from the doctor to tell the center to get started Saturday  (I'll call them tomorrow to give them a "heads-up" so they can lay out the proper set-up ahead of time, like they prefer to do. The nurses seem eager to get started using it, and I'm ready to get this catheter out of my chest, for sure. If we can do the stick two treatment days in a row, I can go in and have the catheter removed.

Not looking forward to big, sharp needles coming at me point-first, but since I'm generally OK with smaller needles, I should be OK.

I may even watch!

Later...

gary
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:58:47 PM »

Good for you ..... I couldnt watch for the first month.....    Now I do it myself......     

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Rodneyss1

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 06:00:39 AM »

Good for you, my friend!.  I go on Tuesday to have mine blessed by my surgeon.  I expect an "Yes".  My center told me that even if they get the approval, they will take their time using the fistula. They want to get consistant use out of the fistula (4-5 weeks) before the catheter is removed.  Anyone else hear of this?  I know one thing, I hate this catheter and I can't wait for them to start sticking my fistula!!!

Diagnosed with FSGS- 2003
End Stage- December 2010
Dialysis Journey Started- December 2010
Transplant List- December 2010
Living Donor Transplant Non-Related Surgery at St. Vincents (Indianapolis)- September 9, 2011
***Living life like its Golden***
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »

They want to get consistant use out of the fistula (4-5 weeks) before the catheter is removed.  Anyone else hear of this?
My Blokey had a months consistant fistula use before they removed his catheter.  I'm in the UK though, and have no idea if it's standard practice here.

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 11:20:15 AM »

Oh, and yay! GraphicBass!  I hope it works okay!

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Desert Dancer

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 01:10:41 PM »

WOO HOO!!  :2thumbsup; I know JUST what you mean about the shower. Congratulations and enjoy!

Only two sticks to get your catheter out, huh? That must be record time; my center had me go about a month to be certain everything would go smoothly.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 07:01:49 PM »

That's fantastic, GraphicBass. 

If you're anything like me in that regard, you'll find the fistula to be a real liberation compared with the catheter--a chance for you to feel "normal" again when you're not dialyzing.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 09:37:11 PM »

check into emla cream.  It can be a bit pricey, but well worth the money spent on it.  It freezes the skin, so you don't feel the needle going in.  You can get a 5ml tube for about 10 bucks.  I can make that last about 2 weeks.  They have larger tubes, and they have patches, which I think are kind of neat, and would be good for someone who's just beginning.

When they started with mine, about a year ago, they had a protocol.  they did one needle and one line 6 times, 3 for artery and 3 for vein, then they did 3 with both needles.  All together for me, it took about 2 months to get it, cuz one of the first times I was stuck, they infiltrated, and my are swelled up.  It looked like I had a golf ball in there.  That was in February.  I got the line out in June, after what I think was a threatening call from my mom to the neph. *L*

As for showering, it's been 7 months.  The novelty has not worn off yet.  I did a year and a half with that foolish line.  I was so glad to see it go.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 10:09:24 PM »

Great news that fistula has matured. You want it to be nce 'n strong so it's ready for use. After all, there is going to be an awful lot and force and pressure going through 3 times a week for a few hours. My husband's took about 3 months to mature. Had it for 4 yeas now with no complications from it. Remember not to let anyone ever take your blood prssure from that arm. Good luck starting dialysis!

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
murf

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 01:08:47 PM »

I know this sounds strange don't be over diligent with fluid restrictions. I was and clogged up my fistula requiring another one. I always remember my neph saying as I left his office: "drink more". Fine line between over and under imbibing.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 05:21:36 PM »

Good luck with it! :grouphug; I'm getting a fistuala soon and will be glad to get rid of the main line. I wasn't allowed to shower for the first 4 months with the central line and now I can but I am still looking forward to the fistuala. :bandance;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »