I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 08:03:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Scars
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scars  (Read 2193 times)
jg

« on: January 18, 2011, 08:33:52 PM »

:sos;         I am interested in feedback.

Since starting emergency dialysis in 2005, I have  used different treatment methods. As a result I have three scars under my neck from a catheter for hemo,
two scars around my belly button from pd, and two scars on my left arm for the fistula. I will get another one when I get the transplant.
I would like to lessen the appearance by cosmetic surgery, laser treatments or something else. I wonder if I should wait until after the transplant or
will the anti rejection meds limit my choice.
I would like to have the best treatment, especially if the Canadian medical plan will pay all or part.

Jeff       :canadaflag;
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:42:44 PM »

I would ask about it now because you don't know what medications you will be on when you have a transplant that may interfere with  laser treatment. It may not even be an issue with laser, but healing maybe slower after transplant and you may have to wait over a year to do cosmetic surgery due to unforseen post transplant occurances and adjustments.

It doesn't hurt to ask now to see if potential outweighs the risk pre or post transplant. Ask your transplant center and your neph about this to get their advice.

I haven't seen anyone ask about cosmetic surgery to remove scars since I have joined, but I could have missed it. We have posted pics of our scars though.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 11:07:58 PM »

embrace your scars as they show a life well lived :thumbup;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 12:30:01 AM »

There are over the counter methods for removing scars, you might try one before you go through the expense of treatment.
Here's an article http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/282864/my_experience_with_scar_removal_products_pg2.html?cat=69
Also, check out this thread: Quote: “Scars are tattoos with better stories.” http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=4307.0

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 03:37:33 AM »

I'm proud of mine. Badges of honour!

Galvo
wj13us

Paul's ride 2011

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 06:35:37 AM »

Jeff:

I can relate.  I had a fistula placed in my left wrist that did not work then one in my right wrist that did work.  i did get a transplant and the fistula eventually clogged but the scars remained.  I had my transplant at 13 so you could imagine how self conscience I was.  Not exactly easy meeting girls with scars (slits) on both wrists. I wish I could have had the surgery at time but I'm sure it was not covered by insurance and I know my parents could not have afforded it.

Now having my transplant for a long time I never did get the scars removed they are mostly faded but I can tell you with the long term medication I've had my fair share of non melanoma skin cancers.  I usually have a plastic surgeon remove them if they are in very visible places.  Simply because they do a better job at leaving no visible scars.  I'm on old school medication prednisone/Imuran and not sure about the newer drugs but I'm sure once you have your transplant and things are settle in, removing the scars will not be a problem.  Its minor surgery.  There are plenty of people post transplant that have surgery and a few that have given birth.  I myself had to have a plate put in my right arm after a bike crash where I sustained a compound fracture, chipped and dislocated elbow.

Bill
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:35:54 AM »

Like you, I have multiple scars from both PD catheters and hemo catheters.  Frankly, I look like a stabbing victim with (I think) 17 scars on my torso.  Knowing what I endured to get each of those, I am proud of them and my ability to survive.  I go along with those who say embrace your scars; they show a life well lived.
casper2636

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 05:48:05 PM »

I have sever scarring all over my body. I was allergic to the Epogen they were giving me and it took them a year to figure it out. I had MASSIVE blisters all over my body...my arms, face, legs, chest. They each were 2'long and at least 1" high ALL OVER. I itched and hurt like Hell! I actually took a knife and just scratched because it itched so bad and that was the only relief I got. It also ripped my body to shreds. Now that thats over, I'm left looking like a burn victim...literally. People ask me all the time if I was in a fire. Cosmetic surgery would be too expensive, so I have no option but to live with it. I, too, look at it as battle scars. It's all a part of the fight to life, and living the best we can to our abilities. Anyone who is worth knowing won't give a poop if you have scars or not. Beauty comes from within. :flower;
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 11:57:35 AM »

I've had 2 fistulas put in, 2 transplants, 5 PD catheters, chest catheter, temporary (ie emergency) shunt in ankle, parathyroidectomy, and multiple other surgeries.  I've embraced my scars, but it took a while to get used to them.  My first fistula I had when I was 12.   I used to keep it covered, but as I got older I cared less what other people thought and more about how I felt.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Brightsky69

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 12:08:57 PM »

Sacrs....I consider them war wounds  ;D I don't mind them at all. I had an access on my neck twice for hemo. When people ask about them I say vampire bite...it's nothing.  :rofl;
Plus I have had 2 transplants and have been on PD twice in my life. So I have plenty of scars....no biggie to me.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 07:16:18 PM »

I would not suggest doing any type of surgery to your working fistula that might damage it.  You don't know how long your transplant will last. Who knows, you might need to go back on hemodialysis someday.

If you do decide to do any type of plastic surgery after transplant, you need to find a plastic surgeon who is familiar with doing this type of surgery on immunosuppressed patients.  When it comes to post-operative infections and surgical healing, you'll have much less margin for error.  Not only can infections be more difficult to treat in immunosuppressed patients, but if you're taking oral steroids as part of your immunosuppression "cocktail," there is a potential for a so-called "Addisonian crisis"  (try googling for that) due to the surgery itself or a post-op infection.

Ask your plastic surgeon if he knows about this stuff.  If not, find another surgeon.

cloud393

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 07:52:45 PM »

I agree with the battlescar comments.  I too have had 3 pd caths, 3 perma caths in chest, parathyroid removal, both kidneys removed (14 inch scar for that one, right down the middle), 1 fistula, hysterectomy, 2 abdominal hernia repairs.  They do fade in time. 

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 10:04:51 PM »

Oh yes! Every scar tells such a story.  I have a big scar on my lower lip into my cheek area.. Much improved in the past 15 years with a couple surgries but it comes from being mauled by a dog when I was 6 months pregnant. At first I hated it because it was awful looking but now, I am proud of my scar. It's become part of me. Everythng we go throug makes us who we are. Now don't get me wrong i can comletely understand you wanting to minimize yours & that's so ok.  In the US there is something advertised as Mederma who scars. With anything like this I think the best thing is thatthey need to be started right away for the best effect. You can use them later but once the eefected tissue area has become hard and fibrosed, there is not much you can do about it. Maybe improve to some degree of dicoloratin.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »