I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 02:24:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Taken for granted.....
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Taken for granted.....  (Read 7744 times)
tweetykiss

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2007, 06:53:26 PM »

Thank you everyone for you kind words and support.....you have no idea how much I appreciate them....

Now tomorrow is D day...that is right his first session....we have a nine o clock to get the catheter in and I take him a floor lower to have his dialysis.....

I just packed a bag (my bookbag) with a blanket, two books for me, one on tarot and the other Harry Potter 1 (I have to reread them before the new one since two years erases memories), a deck of tarot cards, his lunch will go in the bag tomorrow and the newspaper for him as well.  So this way he can keep busy and I can stay busy in the waiting room.  I may need a blanket too so I may have to pack one for me as well.

I hope he gets fitted for the fistula while they do this.  I know you guys know better how this goes than I do.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 06:55:27 PM by tweetykiss » Logged

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
keefer51

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »

Tweety, After the catheter is in he will most likely go to dialysis. They may not let you wait with him. Don't be mad it's just the policy of the hospital. He may feel a little discomfort from the stitch holding the catheter in place. Also when he tries to sleep it may be strange for a while till he gets used to the catheter. The doctor will talk to him and you about the fistula. I had to wait for a year till i had a working fistula. Not all take that long. For now though just make sure he keeps the catheter dry. After a few treatments like maybe three or four he should start to feel better. He may be light headed or even feel sick. Most of that goes away when they get his dry weight correct. Just watch out for this. Sometimes your dry weight is with a hospital gown on. At the dialysis centers you don't wear one so your weight will be different. Once he does get a fistula it will take at least three months to mature. Don't let them stick him too soon. The doctor should tell them. Tweety, I know this will very hard on you and him. You are both in my thoughts. If there is anything i can do just let me know.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
tweetykiss

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 06:42:19 PM »

Tweety, After the catheter is in he will most likely go to dialysis. They may not let you wait with him. Don't be mad it's just the policy of the hospital. He may feel a little discomfort from the stitch holding the catheter in place. Also when he tries to sleep it may be strange for a while till he gets used to the catheter. The doctor will talk to him and you about the fistula. I had to wait for a year till i had a working fistula. Not all take that long. For now though just make sure he keeps the catheter dry. After a few treatments like maybe three or four he should start to feel better. He may be light headed or even feel sick. Most of that goes away when they get his dry weight correct. Just watch out for this. Sometimes your dry weight is with a hospital gown on. At the dialysis centers you don't wear one so your weight will be different. Once he does get a fistula it will take at least three months to mature. Don't let them stick him too soon. The doctor should tell them. Tweety, I know this will very hard on you and him. You are both in my thoughts. If there is anything i can do just let me know.

Hi Keefer and thanks for all your support and kind words.....he was suppose to start dialysis today and it was all planned out.  Now they had him on coumadin for the past month since they thought there were blood clots in his kidneys and that was causing the functioning to go down.  Since his GFR was 7 just this past Monday, they had planned everything for today and they told me on Monday no more coumadin....well yesterday I had to take him to get the test and we went there today for all this....now hear this, who knows how back his GFR but all because his coumadin is still high, they decided not to put the catheter in so that told me no dialysis and the nurse said she will do it Monday since this is a dumb weekend (I have learned to hate weekends since this whole drama began) so I really snapped at the nurse......I said "I will not take my husband home and let him die because his kidneys shut down and his GFR is very very low"....she said he is not symptomatic and he is not swelling nor short breathed and he will survive the weekend......I honestly don't know if he will last the weekend.....I can't believe how stupid they were about this coumadin garbage.

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 07:19:23 PM »

I'm sorry you and him are going through all this stress.
You will be in my prayers.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »