I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 06:42:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Something needs to change but how ?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Something needs to change but how ?  (Read 1818 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: January 16, 2011, 12:00:12 PM »

Ive told you about problems on our unit but things are getting worse. Now D in itself is tough enough , but i could make life a whole lot tougher for myself if im not careful. Our unit is very small , 12 beds and 3 nurses and 1 care assistant. Time and time again mistakes are being made or patients being put second in favour of paperwork. Here is just a few of last weeks things that happened to me alone. Made to wait an hour to be put on by one nurse until she had 'finished her paperwork ', the same nurse then made me wait 15 mins to take me off, till she finished her paperwork again. Didnt get my morphine till it was too late , resulted in me throwing up.....(but being told to wait 2 mins before i did) because again a nurse was finishing her paperwork before handing me a sick bowl. I grabbed my own out of the trolley , i should have really been sick all over the floor shouldnt i . I havent had my dressing over my lines changed this week, again staff too busy (with paperwork) The final straw being taken off on saturday and the nurse forgetting to put Taurolock in my lines (stops my lines from clotting up) I realised and he said , no worries , i would have noticed later and called you back in. How would he have noticed ? It would most likely have cost me my lines.  I asked a nurse would she put the lights down for me , she said yes , walked 5 strides to the light-switches and carried on past , forgotten ! Now if i complain i will have to go to the sister on our unit and she wont like her dept being complained about one bit and if i go over her , to her senior and she says something , you can imagine. Although they have to treat me , they could make D even more miserable for me couldnt they .

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 12:44:44 PM »

Made to wait an hour to be put on by one nurse until she had 'finished her paperwork '.
An hour? *gasp* ... that's truly terrible Kickie.  What was so important about the paperwork?  And where were the other two nurses?!

It's ridiculous that we worry about making completely relevant complaints simply because we don't want life to be made even more miserable.  As if this isn't stressful enough for you!

*huggles*

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:00:01 PM »

ditto ! DITTO! DITTO! :banghead;

Same here.!!!!!! :waiting;

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
woodsman

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:12:05 PM »

Why not contact your local news station and see if they will go woth you a few times, i'll bet things change real quick when they see them cameras coming...
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 11:48:58 PM »

Why not contact your local news station and see if they will go woth you a few times, i'll bet things change real quick when they see them cameras coming...

I like this idea.  Get the BBC on it.  Seriously.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 02:55:10 PM »

Things change when the Matron appears from the other hospital once in a while , but then it soon changes back. Im sure all the 'delays' would be justified and that i would just come across as a 'diva'

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »