I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 12:24:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Need some reassurance for fistula surgery
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need some reassurance for fistula surgery  (Read 1800 times)
ESRD Survivor

« on: December 28, 2010, 03:13:23 PM »

Since my last 5 surgeries in 5 months did not work to try and get me on PD (I did pd for 8 years before my last transplant in 08) I have no choice no but to be on hemo.  I have a perma cath that is 7 months old and the dr's really want it out even though it has very little problems.  I am not really scared of the pain, just really nervous about how its going to look and how long the soreness will last.  I was told they may have to do a vein lift since my veins are are super small.  Is that more painful?

I also want an AV fistula, but because of the small veins they may only be able to do a graft and that scares me.  I can't handle needles.  I want to be able to do the buttonhole, but I understand on grafts you cant.

Is the very first time using it scary?  I mean its sharp needles!
How do you get over it?  Do you get used to being stuck?

I want to train for home hemo, is it hard to stick yourself? I've been reading a lot of posts of home hemo.

I just need a little reassurance going into this.  I really wish pd would of worked again, just too much scar tissue.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 03:24:49 PM »

This is coming from the biggest BABY on here and I do hemo with 2 needles every other night. 

The surgery wasn't bad, I mean they put you out and send you home with pain pills.  The scar was shocking because it was in my upper arm and went from my arm pit to my elbow and no one told me that.  I expected this 4 inch little thing.  So don't be too shocked.  After it heals 3 weeks ask if you can start squeezing a ball to make it bigger.  You want it big so they can stick it.  Forget about being vane!  I have an AV fistula, but I would rather have a graft.  In my own observations.... they have less problems.  I think AV Fistulas give the surgeons job security!

Keep the permacath for as long as you want if it has given you no problems.  Don't let them rush you. 

I knew this doctor on dialysis and he never would get a fistula.... he just kept his permacath.  So when they would try and rush me I would just say When Dr. blah blah gets one I'll start using mine.  Shut them right up.

You will do fine.  I use the lodocane shots to numb and they hurt but only for 5 seconds.  Then I don't feel the big needles.

sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 04:03:29 PM »

I think you have that backwards, fistulas are better then grafts because they are less likely to have problems, I'm on my second graft and it's a pain! The surgery isn't bad, ask for some emla cream as well. I couldn't get a fistula because of my vaines.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
RenalSurvivorDotCA

10 Year Survivor

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 06:11:28 PM »

In defence of grafts, the needles do not hurt as bad as with a fistula. I don't even use freezing shots anymore. Why get 4 needles when I only need two? LOL

Good luck with you graft, ESRD Survivor.

PS - They are right about keeping your cath line as long as you can. I had mine in for 2 years before I finally got a working graft.

Your life IS worth living. Fight for it!
cookie2008

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 08:40:46 PM »

I also have really small veins and I kept trying for a fistula,  I found an excellent vascular surgeon and he did get an avfistula in my left upper arm, had a hard time sticking it so the same surgeon revised it, now my hubby has been putting my needles in since we got the ok to use it, July it will be two years since it was raised I have buttonholes but there are days he has to use a sharp.  Im just saying dont give up there is a very good vascular surgeon out there you just need to find them.  Talk to the nurses at your center they should know who is very good.

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
onestronglittlelady

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 08:35:20 AM »

Thank you for the post and replies. This question has also been on my mind. I have only had my cath. in for 4 weeks and the doctor is bugging me to get a fistula. I am so grateful for this site!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »