I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 02:19:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Quitting smoking for transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quitting smoking for transplant  (Read 4063 times)
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« on: December 08, 2010, 07:14:26 AM »

Ok,
I love cigarettes. I love to smoke them, The act of smoking is very soothing to me, and I enjoy it very much. As of November 17th I had my "last" cig. because I really want a transplant, and I was told that I have to be smoke free 6 mos before they will even put you on the list. (yet another hurdle to be leaped before I even get on the list?!?)
I did not use any thing to aid in my quitting,and I have to say I havent been having that hard of a time. The hardest part is finding something else to do besides smoke...And everyone in my family smokes!  Also, since I didnt really want to quit, it does make it a little more difficult.  :Kit n Stik; :stressed;
My cravings are very minimal, although, when im stressed its my first thought, "wheres mah cigs?!?!" then i remember I no longer smoke....  :stressed;
I suppose if I want this transplant bad enough, I can do this... I have to do this... I keep repeating the Serenity Prayer(Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference!) over and over hoping that will help!
I did have a slip up, it was last friday, I had a really difficult 24 hours, It was really difficult not to just run out and go buy me a pack! I leveled with my sis in law, I said I can either go out and buy an entire pack and smoke it, or u can give me one, and ill be done. And she did, and Oh MY why did I smoke before??? The TASTE! :puke; I couldnt believe the taste was sooo bad. The ACTION was what draws me toit! I almost immediately wanted to toss that cig out, but the action was very relieving for me, I puffed it just enough to keep it lit! I really have absolutely no desire to taste that again, but i really want to because of the action of it.
Did anyone else have to do this? How did you do it?
Can you think of any substitutes for the ACTION of smoking?

Cold Turkey! (on my 27th Bday no less!!) with the aid of chewing gum and hard candy!
I think suckers would be a good sub, but i havent found sugar free suckers, just sugar free hard candy (I think sugar free would be best, I dont need to be getting diabetes on top of everything else!)

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 10:04:56 AM »

I always thought I loved smoking, but after I quit and looked back, I could see what a comforting addiction it was. I didn't choose to smoke, I HAD to smoke. Several weeks after quitting I was in an elevator with a person who was a smoker and I thought to myself "Wow, did I smell that bad??"
I quit because I wanted to have healthy children. It was a good motivation and so far I have not had a cigarette since 1982. I have postponed my next cigarette, one day at a time, So far, so good!
Congrats - it's not easy to quit. I admire you for tackling it - hopefully you can keep saying the serenity prayer, and postpone your next cigarette for a long time!
Here's a link for sugar free lollipops http://www.amazon.com/Xylitol-Assorted-Sugarfree-Lollipops-Wrapped/dp/B002FX3EV2/ref=pd_sbs_gro_2

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 10:52:36 AM »

Everyone I know who has quit smoking seems to do it cold - you've made it through several weeks, so you don't want to undo the hard part now. (I've never been a smoker, so I am just going by what I've been told.)

My friends had a drama professor who kept an unlit cigarette in her mouth constantly - she told her students "You'll get used to it".

I think if I needed a substitute, I would get carrot sticks, chew on a toothpick, drink tea, get a load of straws and drink sugar-free sodas, or do what you're doing and get sugar free lollipops and other candies. Actually, these sound exactly like the strategies I used as an anorexic, but this is a much more worthwhile pursuit....  :)

There is always the electronic cigarette, but it is stupidly expensive and it seemed to give migraines to Emily Yoffe when she tested it: http://www.slate.com/id/2215486/

Have you seen Barbarians At The Gate? Very amusing film about the takeover of RJ Reynolds. Does not glamourize smoking either. Watch it for some distraction and you might find you don't want to contribute to any more smoking execs' salaries.... Best of luck!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 01:35:08 PM »

The thing I remember is Telly Savalas in Kojak who always had a sucker, blow pop maybe because he quit smoking on the show. How about gum? Not Nicorette, just regular gum any flavor or sugar content? Less expensive too than cigarettes. Maybe you don't need another addiction to take over this one. Think of the money you'll save by the end of your first full year and years to come. You could splurge on something you want from a store.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 03:10:54 PM »

I quit smoking years ago and also did it cold turkey.  I found rubbing the center of my bottom lip helped with the craving some.  It sounds crazy, but it worked for me.

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 05:00:05 PM »

I quit cold turkey...a couple of times.   ;D  I was never an "addicted" smoker.  I just liked to sit on the back porch and smoke and think.  Oh, and talk on the phone.  Once I made it past the first few weeks it was smooth sailing.  I must say that I didn't go on my back porch much after that and my plants died.  :)

Occasionally I want one and if a friend is over and has some (only two of my friends smoke) I kindof want one, but when I'm out and others are smoking it disgusts me.  I was a closet smoker and would only smoke on my porch or my friends porch.  Never anywhere else.  Strange I know.

Congratulaitons on your quitting!  It's worth it in the end.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 09:18:51 PM »

i was thinking lollipops :)

Thank you  for ur ideas, I will try a few!
I already chewed alot of gum daily, before i quit...
so far like i said it hasnt been too bad. Crazy tho, imbreathing WORSE!

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 09:33:52 PM »

Maybe it has to get bad before it gets better. If I remember right,the tarish flem has a chance to break up.

Don't give up, keep at it and YOU CAN DO IT!

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 11:40:46 PM »

I've never been addicted to smoking, but know plenty who are/have been.

I am sure it is has been even harder when the soothing feeling of smoking helped deal with the stresses and pressure of living a dialysis lifestyle.

If you want that short at a new life this  is the best option - and remember that quite apart from transplant, just not smoking is so good for your lungs, heart and other systems and obviously lowers your risks of cancers and so on.

I personally think it is great you have taken this step. It is difficult but that you are keeping to it underlines just how much you want that transplant!!!

:yahoo; :2thumbsup; :yahoo; :2thumbsup; :yahoo; :clap; :bow; :bow; :bow;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 01:35:36 PM »

When my grandfather quit, he chewed a lot of toothpicks.. I think Mom said he went for hypnosis.  That was in 1991, and he hasn't smoked since.  I remember him coming to visit me in the hospital, and he was chewing cinnamon toothpicks. *L*

My mom quit in 2002, though a support group.  She did it mainly to have an excuse to have Sundays off work, *L* but it worked for her.  They had to cut down to 10 cigs a day, and then pick a day to quit.  After that day, they went on the patch.  She used the first step of the patch, and didn't bother the next steps.  She hasn't smoked since.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 06:41:54 AM »

Dr. Phil says...shhhh, everybody listen... ;)  that you can't just "quit" smoking (or any bad habit).  You must replace it with another habit - a good one - or you'll go back.  So choose your weapon wisely.  I think it's great you're ready to quit.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 06:58:40 AM »

I would rather really smoke, its something i enjoyed doing but I know that its bad for me, and I cant get a transplant if i continue to smoke. I think i have done fairly well, since Nov 17th I have had 2 cigs, both times I had one, i was dealing with ALOT of drama. I couldnt handle it, so I smoked one cig. (And BOY was it NASTY!) The action was what i craved, but the flavor left alot to be desired.
why did i ever start this stupid habit?? (i know, to stop another habit!)

HemoDialysis since 2007
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 08:16:40 AM »

The action was what i craved ...
Absolutely.  Myself and Blokey gave up 'cold turkey' in 2004.  I was on twenty a day and had been for about twelve years.  I actually found it really easy, but it was the action of hand up to mouth and then back down again which I missed most.  I don't have any strategies for dealing with that I'm afraid.  There are times when I smell cigarette smoke and really crave one, but the craving only tends to last a nanosecond so all is good.

And well done!  You've done so well ... you're a little closer to getting on the list, your lungs will already have started clearing out all the crap and you'll soon be feeling heaps better for it, especially financially!

Keep it up!

:2thumbsup;

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 03:40:50 AM »

I really wish I could kick this stupid habit although I did do once about 5 years ago for 10 months. But I found that although the craving did go considerably less after a while, there was always something there nagging at me all the time to go out and get a pack and start again.

But I did find that the plastic 'fake' ciggies which you fill with a little vial of nicotine solution and puff at were quite effective. Eventually I stopped using the vials and just sucked on it which surprisingly turned out to be just as soothing.

Maybe we all need baby soothers to quit :rofl; but it made me think that a lot of the addiction associated with smoking isn't just the nicotine but the action itself and maybe sucking on something,  chewing it or whatever is a good replacement.

Ken
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 07:58:46 AM »

I have heard from friends that the fake cigerettes can help.   I think you are very strong and deserve a kidney for your determination.  Great job on your part!   We are very proud of you    :2thumbsup;     :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 06:59:11 PM »

Nobody likes to kiss a smoker. Does that help with motivation any????

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »