I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:24:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  New hope for morbidly obese patients?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New hope for morbidly obese patients?  (Read 1416 times)
nkviking75

« on: December 16, 2010, 02:17:15 PM »

The University of Illinois Medical Center in Chicago is the first to offer robotic kidney transplants to morbidly obese patients and report fewer complications.  Obese patients (like me) are considered high risk candidates for transplant surgery.  My docs want me to lose 120 lbs before they'll even look at me for a transplant.  While I don't question that losing all that weight would be better for me, I also know that's no easy task.  I was evaluated for lap band surgery, and they said I was a high risk candidate for that because of my ESRD.  Maybe the UIC's approach is what ESRD patients like me need.  See what you think.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/571885/?sc=rsmn
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 04:39:45 PM »

Wow!!! Fantastic news!!!

I have long thought that keeping so-called obese people from transplant was discriminatory and had little to no basis in scientific fact. I have attempted to research this in scientific journals and found only mixed results, suggesting that they do not really know if it is dangerous, but that does not stop them from saying it is. I once heard from a surgeon that surgeons detest fat not for health reasons, but because it makes it difficult for them to see in operations. Oh, and one doctor that does gastric bypass says that holding open the abdomen of an obese person during surgery can give doctors a "sore back". How's that for compassion?

I am actually very happy that you were turned down for lap band surgery. They make it sound so benign and easy, don't they? I have read one horror story after another about lap bands and gastric bypass. I would strongly advise anyone considering it to run in the other direction.

Yes, I am an advocate for "size rights". I had a long look at how overweight people were treated when I was kid on high doses of prednisone, on a strict, low-calorie diet from  parents who would then accuse me of overeating (despite monitoring everything I ever ate). Most people just are the size they are and there is precious little that you can do about it unless you want to live your entire life on a strict diet. Health risks from being overweight have been greatly exaggerated, or in the case of high BMI and transplant, made up entirely.

I wish you luck!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 07:38:29 PM »

I must have missed that in the Chicago Tribune.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »

I wish that this was around in 2006 when a good friend was alive.  This operation could have saved his life because he weighed 195+ kg. I thanl God and the surgeons who perform this procedure that the morbidly obese do have that option now.

As I was coming out the Nephrologist office, I thought the sky was falling.
Knew I was going on dialysis since November 1999.
Had a fistula put in January 2000.
Been on 4-1/2 hour dialysis since August 28, 2001. (They took out 35Kg that single week)

Maria hasbeen on hemodualysis since January, 2005
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »