I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 03:18:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  stranosis resolved, but still difficult canulation
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: stranosis resolved, but still difficult canulation  (Read 1497 times)
sullidog
Elite Member

« on: December 12, 2010, 09:12:32 PM »

Ok, I think we're getting closer to the problem, I'm still having problems with my graft after the 4th fistula gram. The problem is the flow is good, I can feel a strong thrill on it and the bruit is good too and the x-rays show a good flow all through the graft, I'm wondering though if it's just deep into the skin because in order to feel the thrill in the middle you have to press real hard and it's a very deep stick, in fact it's hell to stick it even the experienced techs at our center can stick it very well, in fact, no one can get it on the first try. Here's how they describe how they have to stick it, first they have to use a turnequit  on it which for a graft you aren't suppose to anyways, then they have to physically use the tip of the needle and their hand to physically pull the graft up to the surface as they stick it, they have to go so deep that it's painful even during treatment, the vascular surgeon and the radiologist say since it has a good flow, which I believe them it does there's not really much they can do and it's the center that's causing the problem, but none of the staff can stick it, we just got some new staff and they can't get it either, I'm so done with this I just want them to put a catheter back in or evaluate me for a new access, but they won't because this one is still working. Now mind you once they get me running everything is fine with all the pressures and there's no sign of narrowing (that got fixed by a cover stent that they put in) and I don't even alarm my whole treatment, it's just getting canulated. Anyone know if they can lift a graft further to the surface with surgery? none of my healthcare staff has even brought it up, since the flow is good and there's no sign of narrowing they don't wanna do anything else with it but I do, what things should I do to get them to evaluate this situation further? I think vascular surgeons need to do rounds like doctors do just to see for theirselves what goes on during canulation.
Just a note I'm blind so trying to canulate myself is out of the question.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 10:17:41 PM »

Gosh, that's a good question.  I know my vascular surgeon "lifted" my vein when he created my fistula, and I've read other posts by people who have said that they've had their fistulas "lifted" once it was determined it was too deep, but I don't know if they can do that with a graft.  Hmmmm....

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »