I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 03:18:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Good News...and Bad
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good News...and Bad  (Read 2933 times)
GraphicBass

« on: December 14, 2010, 05:43:46 PM »

Visited with my nephrologist yesterday — my first since starting in-center dialysis about 6 weeks ago.

Good news is that she says I am responding very well. My bloodwork is normal or almost so, clearances are good even using the catheter, and I've gone from 268 pounds to 230 pounds — all of it fluid. We're starting to "challenge" me a bit to get to my dry weight, and I'm tolerating it well. My energy levels are 1000% better, and I'm back to work nearly full-time. And, we're candidates for NxStage home hemo after I get through some cataract surgeries in January and February. And my fistula is "thrilling" along and may be ready to use in January. All in all, not a bad report card, and I'm happy, as is my wife.

The Bad: In my nephrologist's opinion, I'm not eligible for a transplant, due to my other conditions, namely, congestive heart failure and diabetes, plus underlying cardiovascular disease. She believes any transplant procedure will put too much strain on my heart.

Frankly, I'm not sure what I think about this. I had a feeling the other diseases would rear their ugly heads, but kind of hoped I could at least consider transplants.

In some ways, it may be a relief for that option to be off the table, as I can concentrate on being as well as I can on dialysis and committing to being one of those long-term patients I read about, and not worry about transplant committees, testing, fundraising, the wait, etc.

On the other hand, it seems as if it's closing off a potentially life-prolonging option before any type of review process (although I trust my doctor; she's been with me for a long time).

But then, since receiving my CHF diagnosis five years ago, and knowing the mortality rate for people with multi-organ problems (cardiac, pancreas, kidneys) such as myself, I've often felt the clock ticking. One of these things is going to put me down eventually.

Not sure what my point is. Just wanted to say something in a place where there are people who understand what I'm talking about.

gary

cloud393

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 07:52:19 PM »

Glad to hear your good news, we all need some once in a while.  As for the bad stuff, who knows what medicine hasin store for the future.
Good things do happen.  I wish you continued good health reports.  Mine have not been very good lately.     :laugh:

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:00:20 PM »

It seems like you'd at least get the opportunity to explore your options with a transplant team. So many people get transplants who seem unlikely candidates and some I am surprised get through it just fine. Since a referral is not required (around here in LA anyway) we let the transplant team determine what course to take. It's been my experience that nephrologists who are not on transplant teams often have a different view of things. And, there are also often varying opinions coming from organ transplant surgeons than there are from nephrologists. And, as was mentioned, things are changing all the time. If it were me, I would explore the options.
The good news is very good and sounds promising for dialysis in the future.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 08:26:22 PM »

I agree with okarol.  It's not really your neph's call.  Your neph may well be correct, but then again, maybe she isn't.  You have every right to at least be evaluated for a transplant.  Take your time, mull it over and make a well considered choice.

Congrats on your good news!  That's fabulous!  It's great that your treatment is actually working to give you better health.   :clap;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 12:52:35 AM »

I wish you continued good health reports.  Mine have not been very good lately.     :laugh:

Oh dear, this sounds ominous.  Are you OK?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
cloud393

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 02:07:13 AM »

I am doing better, thank you.  It started with a bi-lateral nephrectomy Oct. 1st.  Then I had 3 hospital stays in Nov. ( a totoal of 20 nights).  I went in with uncontrollable stomach pain & vomiting (one time included diarrhea), had every test imaginable and they couldn't find anything wrong with me until the last test, a heart cath.  Now I'm on 2 pills, my heart muscle has weakened, so it's not pumping enough blood thru my body and it doesn't relax like it should.  I don't really know what that all means but will start researching it. So anyway, my labs have not been good, potassium was really high & I never had a problem with it.  Creatinin was really high.  I guess everything was out of control.  I go today for bloodwork so, wish me luck.
Sorry for rambling on your thread GB.  Should have started my own.  Forgive  me. :pray;

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 03:30:21 AM »

You're going well, Gary. Congratulations.

I'm at the same place as you re a transplant, and for the same reasons. Bugrit. I've put it out of my mind and, like you, am endeavouring to batttle on the best I can on Dialysis. We're all going to go eventually, some of us earlier than others. It's just how the mop flops. Let's enjoy life to the max while we're still here!

Good luck.

Galvo
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 05:15:32 PM »

if u want a transplant Gary then find a transplant center that will consider it don't give up! glad your bloodwork is good!

cloud sorry to hear you are having a rough patch keep on fighting!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 05:47:18 PM »

I dont know the extent of how bad your heart is. A have a friend who has an enlarged heart, heart failure, had a stroke, and he is still listed on the transplant list. He has been listed for a long time. I dont know how tall you are, but would losing weight help at all? If you have diabetes, you could possible, get a kidney/pancreas transplant.
 If you want to get a transplant, you could also get a second oponion. If one center says no, remember it is not in stone. You can go to another center. A friend of mine had to go out of state because noone in her state would do a transplant on her.

Thats good you are feeling good! Keep it up.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
GraphicBass

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 06:54:58 PM »

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

Sorry I haven't checked back in for a while. We had to make an emergency trip out of state to visit my mother-in-law, who has been on dialysis for six month and now has decided to stop. She's 76 old, has many other health problems, and has never responded well to treatments. We went to see her and say goodbye while she was still aware of everyone. Everyone from that side of the family showed up: children, grandchildren and great--grandchildren — 15 people of assorted ages and sizes. It was a nice way to say goodbye. A couple of difficult days later she slipped into a coma; she passed away last Friday morning about 3 a.m.

And, of course, just a few days after we got back home, we all developed nasty colds from all those germy little kids! Just now getting over it.

I'm going to let the transplant question sit for a few months. I still have to get my fistula in operation. two months worth of cataract surgeries to get through, and get my insurance in order and coordinated. Plenty of time in the spring to start investigating transplants. I'm glad to hear the nephrologist is not the final arbiter. She know me well, and is very good, but this is my life, and I intend to check out all the options before making a decision. I have not consulted with or been evaluated by a transplant team, and I sort of feel that should be the least that I do.

I hope you are feeling better, cloud393. I've had about eight hospitalizations in the last 14 months, while still trying to run a business somewhat full time. It gets wearying.

gary
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 08:34:43 PM »

My sympathies on your M.I.L. passing.

Galvo
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 09:15:24 PM »

You've been through the wars lately, haven't you! :cuddle;

You have plenty of time to consider transplantation and to use this time to get your life in order before going down that path.

GraphicBass

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 02:18:10 PM »

Thanks, Galvo. Amen, Moosemom!

g
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »