I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 03:48:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Ocala woman celebrates surviving with dialysis: 28 years!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ocala woman celebrates surviving with dialysis: 28 years!  (Read 2082 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 08, 2010, 11:31:34 PM »

Ocala woman celebrates surviving with dialysis: 28 years!

By Kathy Mancil
Correspondent

Published: Wednesday, December 8, 2010 at 4:01 p.m.

As a working single-mother of two young children, Ocala native Barbara Rivers did not have time for the diagnosis of chronic kidney disease to slow her down.

Thirty years later, she says, “I still do what I've got to do, and go where I need to go.”

On Monday, during and after one of Rivers' regular dialysis treatments at the DaVita Ocala Regional Kidney Center East Unit, family members and other well-wishers stopped by to celebrate her 28 years of success with dialysis.

The casual event was hosted by Ocala Kidney Group in conjunction with the Marion County Kidney Foundation.

Surrounded by yellow and blue balloons, Rivers sat in her treatment chair and enjoyed a piece of cake while discussing how, other than receiving the three-hour treatments three times a week, she has been able to live a normal life.

Rivers began dialysis Nov. 26, 1980, but in 1982 received a kidney transplant, which lasted until 1986. At that time, she began dialysis again at the east unit of Ocala Kidney Center.

Meanwhile, she said, in addition to raising her children, she also worked at Dr. N.H. Jones Elementary as a teacher's aide and substitute teacher for 15 years.

Now, she lives in her own apartment, drives and remains active with family and friends.

“She's been doing this ever since I can remember,” said her daughter, Tawania Reese, referring to the dialysis treatment. She said she was almost 5 when her mother first began dialysis. “Growing up, it was a part of my life as well as hers.”

Reese, 35, now has three of her own children and said her mother is extremely involved in their lives. “We're very blessed that she is still with us,” she said.

Rivers' son, Demetrius Cobb, 45, who lives in Tampa and has four children, was unable to attend the celebration.

Shandreka Woolbright, the patient care technician who regularly sets up Rivers with the machine that acts as an artificial kidney to remove toxins from her blood, said Rivers has a great attitude.

“She is probably one of our best patients as far as attitude,” said nurse Heather Williams, who serves as lead administrator in the unit. Twenty-eight years on dialysis, she said, “is a great accomplishment because we've seen so many who do not even make it a year.”

Barbara' brother, Horace Rivers, who was in attendance, said although kidney disease is not hereditary, their baby sister also was diagnosed with it, but only survived a couple of months after starting dialysis.

He said Barbara has her good days and bad. “She knows her body,” he said. “She knows how the day is going to go, according to how she is feeling.”

He also pointed out that she does an extremely good job of watching her diet and fluid-intake and taking her medications.

According to the National Kidney Foundation, one in nine – or 26 million – Americans have chronic kidney disease, and early detection can help prevent progression.

Barbara Rivers said she tells everyone she knows to visit a doctor for well-checkups. Because she was rarely sick before being diagnosed with kidney disease, she said, she only went to a doctor when she had her babies.

Now, she faithfully does everything her doctor, Oleksandr Kovalchuk, prescribes, including taking her medications.

“I guess that's why I'm still percolating,” she said with a laugh.

Surrounded by yellow and blue balloons, Rivers sat in her treatment chair and enjoyed a piece of cake while discussing how, other than receiving the three-hour treatments three times a week, she has been able to live a normal life.

Rivers began dialysis Nov. 26, 1980, but in 1982 received a kidney transplant, which lasted until 1986. At that time, she began dialysis again at the east unit of Ocala Kidney Center.

Meanwhile, she said, in addition to raising her children, she also worked at Dr. N.H. Jones Elementary as a teacher's aide and substitute teacher for 15 years.

Now, she lives in her own apartment, drives and remains active with family and friends.

“She's been doing this ever since I can remember,” said her daughter, Tawania Reese, referring to the dialysis treatment. She said she was almost 5 when her mother first began dialysis. “Growing up, it was a part of my life as well as hers.”

Reese, 35, now has three of her own children and said her mother is extremely involved in their lives. “We're very blessed that she is still with us,” she said.

Rivers' son, Demetrius Cobb, 45, who lives in Tampa and has four children, was unable to attend the celebration.

Shandreka Woolbright, the patient care technician who regularly sets up Rivers with the machine that acts as an artificial kidney to remove toxins from her blood, said Rivers has a great attitude.

“She is probably one of our best patients as far as attitude,” said nurse Heather Williams, who serves as lead administrator in the unit. Twenty-eight years on dialysis, she said, “is a great accomplishment because we've seen so many who do not even make it a year.”

Barbara' brother, Horace Rivers, who was in attendance, said although kidney disease is not hereditary, their baby sister also was diagnosed with it, but only survived a couple of months after starting dialysis.

He said Barbara has her good days and bad. “She knows her body,” he said. “She knows how the day is going to go, according to how she is feeling.”

He also pointed out that she does an extremely good job of watching her diet and fluid-intake and taking her medications.

According to the National Kidney Foundation, one in nine – or 26 million – Americans have chronic kidney disease, and early detection can help prevent progression.

Barbara Rivers said she tells everyone she knows to visit a doctor for well-checkups. Because she was rarely sick before being diagnosed with kidney disease, she said, she only went to a doctor when she had her babies.

Now, she faithfully does everything her doctor, Oleksandr Kovalchuk, prescribes, including taking her medications.

“I guess that's why I'm still percolating,” she said with a laugh.

http://www.ocala.com/article/20101208/ARTICLES/101209705/1005/sports01?Title=28-years-of-dialysis-and-still-percolating-
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:38:09 PM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »