I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 07:20:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Buttons are Helping Me Keep it Together
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buttons are Helping Me Keep it Together  (Read 3120 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: November 19, 2010, 12:43:47 AM »

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Buttons are Helping Me Keep it Together

Blog: I'm Taller Than I Look by Lori Hartwell

As you may know, I have a number of health challenges.  When I started back on dialysis last March, after a 20 year run with my kidney transplant, it was another life adjustment.  At times I felt down and frustrated as I had to learn to accept this major lifestyle change in my life again. How do I deal with the challenges?  One of the strategies I use to cope is to engage in the creative process.

When I am creating something or watching someone create, it helps me relax and get my mind off my health issues. It also helps me stay distracted so I don’t eat or drink out of boredom.

I love the Food Channel with Bobby Flay throwing down his cooking skills and using all kinds of colorful ingredients.  The HGTV channel has many shows that transform old broken down shacks in to dream homes.

I have always believed that if you take the body the mind will follow, so I thought I needed a new art therapy project to get my mind in a good place.

A friend of mine turned me on to buttons.  She made these beautiful button bracelets and each one looks like a piece of art.  I wanted to learn how to make them, so she showed me how.  I was off and running with my new found fun.  The more I learned about buttons and the history behind them, the more intrigued I became.

It became like a treasure hunt for me. I often search for that perfect button that will complete my bracelet.  I scavenged garage sales, vintage stores, Ebay and, once people knew I was collecting buttons, friends started sending me theirs.  There are so many different types of buttons: silver, gold, ivory, bone, mother-of-pearl, glass, stone, wood, horn, ceramic, Bakelite, plastic, and polymer clay and some dating back as far as the 18th century.

I was wondering why I was so attracted to buttons and making something new out of them.  Then I realized that most of the buttons I receive have been sitting in an old jar and may have been thrown away.

I am giving the buttons a new life.  Buttons also are known for keeping things together. On several occasion my girlfriends come over and we sort buttons into color piles, design a bracelet or just chit-chat.  Buttons are helping me connect with my friends.

Art therapy offers many benefits from stress reduction and enjoyment through creativity, to learning a sense of mastery, problem-solving, and improves self-esteem.

Art and emotions are closely linked so art-making can help to positively alter one's mood.  I always feel better after I finish a bracelet.

So I encourage you to engage in a creative activity.  It will help you get through the tough times.

from: BLOG: I'm Taller Than I Look by Lori Hartwell http://lorihartwell.blogspot.com/

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 02:17:14 PM »

Lori is a very well respected Lady in the renal community. And for those of you who don't know Lori, you should. Lori and Karol are a lot alike and work together in many endeavors. She is a power house when it comes to ideas and implementing programs to help others. I have much admiration for Lori Hartwell and our very own Karol. Where does the energy come from? Self made I guess, but I hope both of these wonderful ladies continue with their mission. These are the two finest I know. Thank you both.

From Buttons to Teen Prom and beyond.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 03:44:24 PM »

:-*

calypso

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 07:44:26 PM »

Yup, I turned to digital art for a time. Creativity certainly helps keep the mind going. It's like a muscle, if you don't use it, you'll lose it. I should get back into it, I haven't done much in that dept. lately. So that post may be inspirational in getting me to pick it up again.

And with the advent of 3D TV I could create 3D animations that can actually be seen in 3D, which would be pretty cool. Though I don't have a 3D display yet.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 01:32:59 PM »

Baking does it for me.  I'm always in a good mood when I bake, and hey.. when I"m done, I have a treat. *G*

I don't like being watched when I"m baking, though..self conscious, I guess, so I only do it when I'm home by myself

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
calypso

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 02:19:42 PM »

Baking does it for me.  I'm always in a good mood when I bake, and hey.. when I"m done, I have a treat. *G*

I don't like being watched when I"m baking, though..self conscious, I guess, so I only do it when I'm home by myself

I wouldn't mind someone watching me, as long as they don't try and tell me what to do! No back seat bakers! lol

I baked oatmeal cookies last week they were super yummy. I'd share the recipe if you want it.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 02:33:32 PM »

ooh. oatmeal cookies......

I made butter cookies today.  It was the first time with the recipe, so I wasn't sure if I was doing it right.  They turned out good, though.  Next Saturday, butterscotch chip!

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kevno

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 02:24:32 PM »

what kept me going is snooker, played since i was 14years old. Snooker has helped me through many hard times. Thinking about the game while in hospital. I suppose its only missing the game in hospital as wanted me to play it more. I was in hospital last week, went in on Saturday after dialysis came out on Friday. Like an idiot played snooker that Friday night. Even played snooker on a zimmer frame, a couple of days after i had 44 staples out of my arm. Always been around that table has soon as i could (if not sooner  ::) )

All renal patients need some thing to do. I know a lot of renal patients still work. I do not have that option any more ( I wish i could). The waste of time social worker came out with part time voluntary work. I already do that teaching children to play snooker.

My friend and I have made thousands of pounds from snooker exhibitions. For the unit I am at, the top eight snooker players in the world have done the exhibitions.   

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 07:30:46 PM »

Wonderfull....  I love the positive......

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 07:44:38 PM »

Okay, so I need an outlet for my creativity. Wait, I have no creativity. Does gardening count? I do make cards for friends and family by recycling old cards, so that's something, I guess.
Go, Kevno. Playing snooker on a zimmer frame must have been challenging!

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 02:48:16 AM »

I reckon gardening is very creative.  And productive too.  I just planted tomato seeds today.  Not sure how they'll go:  not full sun on our balcony.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
calypso

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 10:43:54 AM »

ooh. oatmeal cookies......

I made butter cookies today.  It was the first time with the recipe, so I wasn't sure if I was doing it right.  They turned out good, though.  Next Saturday, butterscotch chip!

Awesome! Funny story, the last batch of oatmeal cookies I made I couldn't decide if I wanted butterscotch chips in there or not. So I made half with and half without. Guess which I liked better?

Neither. I liked them both equally. I STILL can't decide what to do for my next batch lol. The butterscotch ones were a little sweeter, the plain oatmeal a little less sweet. So I guess if I did the butterscotch again I'd put a tad less sugar to compensate. What brand of butterscotch chips do you use? I used Nestle's brand but I have a feeling they are not the best. They don't taste as good as butterscotch candies I had as a kid. Course that was so long ago my tastes may have changed.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 07:23:27 PM »

The ones I have now are store brand, but I have used chipits in the past, and they're not too bad.  I think that the cheaper they are, the further from real butterscotch they get.  I think the store brand ones just have butterscotch flavoring

I wasn't motivated enough to make cookies today.. so I didn't.. I also need more sugar.. *L*  I might make them through the week, or next Saturday if I don't go to the Santa Claus parade

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 09:12:02 PM »

Recipe from this month's Kidney Times here Crispy Butterscotch Cookies http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=21092.0

chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 04:52:02 PM »

I checked out the button bracelets - they are so pretty.
And natnnat I 'found' four tomato seedlings out in the paddock! I was raking up around the dog kennels and spotted them out in amongst the grass. They were about 6 inches high. I have transplanted them and they are going well. I'm hoping they are cherry tomatoes, my favourites but I guess I will have to wait and see. Good luck with your tomato growing.

Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 08:50:58 PM »

Surely they will be cherry toms.  I love volunteer tomatoes, they are the very best kind. 
 :flower;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 04:35:05 PM »

Volunteer tomatoes  :rofl;

Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »