I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 03:23:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Letter to the Newspaper
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Letter to the Newspaper  (Read 7404 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 04:20:56 PM »

Good advocating Murf!!

In the US the sad truth is that most of the deceased donor organs ARE used, yet it cannot meet the rising need. The surgeon told me that even if they were able to use every single deceased donor, (must be brain dead) there are only about 14,000 deceased donors every year. The waiting list for kidneys is up to 87,000 people, growing every day. This requires more living donors to help when possible.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 05:43:10 PM »

While I was waiting for a prescription at a local chemist, struck up a conversation with guy next to me. Gave him my story and it turns out that he works a s surgeon at Royal Perth Hospital. He related that in the last month he has thrown away 14 kidneys. I nearly cried.

I'm crying too!
There's a chart I found in a link on this blog post from IHD member Bill Peckham. For me, a 25-year-old male on hemodialysis, the expected remaining lifespan is 13.2 years, meaning it's expected I'll die before I hit 40 if I stay on hemodialysis (given average statistics - it helps a lot that I'm relatively healthy aside from my kidneys, so I'd probably outlive that estimate). If I have a transplant, the remaining expected lifespan goes up to 33.5 years. If I were healthy, it would be 49.3 years.

That's how much dialysis can take from your life expectancy.

OMG I shouldn't have read this...I never confirmed my suspicions about dialysis lowering your life expectancy...guess i wanted to stay in denial.... :embarassed:

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 06:44:09 PM »

Well done, Murf!  :cheer:

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
murf

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 01:53:05 PM »

Contacted the pollie today. Her secretary has promised that she will get back to me. Step 1 accomplished.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
murf

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 06:32:56 PM »

Boy, do I feel let down, Contacted the politician who was most sympathetic and said it 's the sort of topic she would like to get to her teeth into. That was 2 weeks ago. Have written back to get some sort of feed back. Even if she said that at the moment she is too busy. Bur no reply. So after 2 phone calls and 2 e-mails, I am rather disillusioned. But I will not give up. Parliament goes into recession today so will wait to after Xmas. I will send my information to the Premier and if necessary, talk back radio. We must tell the world what dialysis is like. and how necessary an opt out system is to us. This might sound morbid, but if you have a cancer you get treated and either it works and you go into remission or if it doesn't, you pass away. Dialysis patients are in Limbo/purgatory. The disease just never goes away. No determination. Don't get me wrong. I feel very much for cancer patients and their treatment is horrendous but there is some sort of finality. The greatest frustration with dialysis patients is that it just never ends.

Started PD New Year 2010
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 07:05:30 PM »

Don't give up murf just put it in your own diary to follow up regularly.  I think time moves more slowly in pollie land on some issues.  Ongoing determination is called for here.   

I wonder if you could add your energy / supplement your activities by working with Kidney Health Australia, as a person on dialysis who wants to talk about those experiences, maybe they would be interested in including your perspective in their campaigns? 
http://www.kidney.org.au/NewsEvents/MediaReleases/tabid/650/Default.aspx

Mainly, don't get discouraged by let downs, its all part of the race. 
 :beer1;  :boxing;  :cheer:

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 07:42:52 PM »

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 06:57:57 AM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 11:13:44 PM »

This might sound morbid, but if you have a cancer you get treated and either it works and you go into remission or if it doesn't, you pass away. Dialysis patients are in Limbo/purgatory. The disease just never goes away. No determination. Don't get me wrong. I feel very much for cancer patients and their treatment is horrendous but there is some sort of finality. The greatest frustration with dialysis patients is that it just never ends.

I have two friends, (both former workmates) who have cancer. Both have suffered terribly over the years, including from chemotherapy. Both will die shortly.
They would trade places with you or me in a heartbeat.

He wasn't saying that kidney disease is worse than cancer, he was just saying that there is a finality to it.  Your friends know that they are going to die.  For some people, there is a peace in knowing that.  When it comes to dialysis, you could be on it for one day, or for 20 years. There's no certainty.  With most diseases, you either beat it, an live a healthy long life, or you don't, and you die.  With kidney disease, you go on dialysis and wait, and that's pretty much it.  I don't know if I'm going to die soon, but I doubt I will.  What I do know is that I'm going to be on dialysis tomorrow, and that is pretty much the only certainty I have in life at the moment.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
murf

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 02:56:16 PM »

I have lost three work colleagues, a cousin ans a sister through cancer. As I repeat, the treatment is horrendous but there is some finality to it.

Started PD New Year 2010
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2010, 02:57:16 AM »

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 06:50:39 AM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2010, 03:06:06 AM »

Get shot by an enraged husband whose wife I have just seduced?
:oops;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »