I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 03:34:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Human Error
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Human Error  (Read 7143 times)
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 07:01:37 PM »

gosh... we dont get to eat anything, we arent allowed to eat or drink, there are exceptions for people with the diabetes that has to eat every few hours, but the only thing we are alowed to have is ice. (which i cant have ice, it hurts my mouth im a weany)

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
gregory

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 07:15:23 PM »

I had a problem with a nurse and complained, all I got was a rude remark from another nurse.

Been on dialysis 3 years. Had a transplant that lasted 22 years. Didn't have any problems with medications. Antibodoes built up and rejected it, they have new meds, for that now. Back on the list. Living day to day.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 07:35:51 PM »

But they take them off you again by setting your target up  :'(

Well that's a good thing to take that extra fluid off.

I always account for any extras I have during treatment. Don't want to come off over because I had an extra drinkie...

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 07:38:42 PM »

To provide further context for this business of the football for Richard, I will add:  Australia is obsessed with certain sports.  One is a particular horse race, which is good because the entire nation has a boozy afternoon at work watching telly and betting on the outcome.  Next are various kinds of football, by which I mean the game played with the ball with two pointy ends.  In Victoria, Richard's location, they are completely and utterly obsessed with that code he carries on about.  No one else in the country cares much, but in Melbourne it would be quite reasonable to expect special favours on the day when your team is in the grand final. 

Pity they rolled over.   :angel;

Written like a true Sydneysider/Rugby person!  :rofl;

Actually, Aussie Rules Football is the dominant winter sport in Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia (way more than half the country). It is also big in South Western NSW and the Northern Territory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 07:51:37 PM »

I know that we are spoiled in my unit. We don't get a meal or anything like that, but we sometimes get treats like cake or cookies, and I've had iced cappuccino brought into me before.  One patient brings in fudge for the nurses, and I"m planning on making cookies for them at Christmas.

I usually listen to my ipod while I'm on, but I always leave it low enough that I can still hear what's going on around me.  It's rather sneaky on my part, but I hear things that they're not going to tell me, like when I was planning my last trip to NYC, they didn't think the unit in Manhattan would approve me because I had a new fistula and a flaky line.  I heard the doctor say "well, if they don't approve her, she can't go" and I was worried right up until I was told that all was ok.  If they didn't approve me, I'd be out $800 for plane tickets.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
gregory

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 04:37:49 PM »

Had a problem with my machine, the tech. went to get the biomed guy. She came back said he wouldn't come until his lunch break was over. Had to just sit and wait,wonderful.

Been on dialysis 3 years. Had a transplant that lasted 22 years. Didn't have any problems with medications. Antibodoes built up and rejected it, they have new meds, for that now. Back on the list. Living day to day.
murf

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 05:57:50 PM »

When I was on hemo and indicated that I wished to lose some body weight, the nurses just laughed and said isn't it great that you have such a good appetite. Now on PD and with extraneal bag, feel I have complete charge over my weight.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 10:08:19 PM »

The ass kicking starts as soon as a mistake is noticed by me. I am on them like flies on honey. When they know you are watching them, they take real good care of you.

I have first hand experience of this. I complained to the head office about
    staff on their cellphones - all the time
    Leaving the unit unattended while All of them have supper/tea
    Taking forever to put people on or taking them off (upto 20 minutes) I have seen them do it in 5min.
    Staff ignoring alarms for such a long time that I have to call for them to switch it off. They say that was not a "serious" toned alarm. To which I reply - how am I suppose to know - the guy   could  have been dead by the time they attended to the alarm for all I know.

Now... after my complaint they do all of this right - at least while I am in the unit  :rofl; :clap;
I am wathcing them alright  >:D

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »