I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 05:27:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  tramadol
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: tramadol  (Read 2286 times)
Quickfeet

Mack Potato

« on: November 12, 2010, 11:36:10 PM »

I was wondering if there is any link to high blood pressure and high heart rate with tramadol. With out medication I have high bp and HR. But it has been controlled lately until the last few days. The only change has been the addition of tramadol 3 pills x 50mg per day for my gout (I am taking 6 six pills a day, not much help).

Resting bp 170/110 Hr 110

It could be from all the stress from the pain in my foot.

Also I saw this warning:
If you have any of these other conditions, you may need a tramadol dose adjustment or special tests:
kidney disease (or if you are on dialysis);

Any idea on what this means? Since I am doing PD, do I take more or less of the drug? I plan to text my nurse in the morning.
greg10

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 05:13:36 AM »

According to the following article, Tramadol, the opiate analgesic, is supposed to increase blood pressure but decrease heart rate, without changing blood flow to the kidneys, at least in rat studies.

http://www.anesthesia-analgesia.org/content/94/3/619.full
Tramadol is an analgesic that inhibits norepinephrine (NE) reuptake.
Tramadol increased MAP (mean arterial pressure) and decreased HR (heart rate) without changing RBF (renal blood flow) in normal rats at clinical doses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 02:49:51 PM »

I was offered tramadol as a painkiller , you are taking 6 a day ? i was given 1 and it put me flat on my back , like i'd had 15 pints !  :rofl;  I would expect the fact you have gout is the cause of your raised bp !  I wouldnt double up on the dose you've been given though. If 3 are not working maybe you should try something else ?

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
murf

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 05:06:17 PM »

Have taken tramadol for over 6 years for chronic back pain. I take 1 x 100mg at night and 1 x 200 in the morning. Not everyone can take it. It lays my sister out as is she is comatosed. My GP states that if you can take it, then it is a miracle drug. No effect on my BP and currently on PD.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
Desert Dancer

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 11:35:24 PM »

I just had cause to research this very subject and here's what I found:

http://opioids.com/tramadol/prescribe.html

From that page:

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
For the treatment of painful conditions Ultram (tramadol hydrochloride) 50 mg to 100 mg can be administered as needed for relief every four to six hours, not to exceed 400 mg per day. For moderate pain Ultram 50 mg may be adequate as the initial dose, and for more severe pain Ultram 100 mg is usually more effective as the initial dose.

Individualization of Dose: Available data do not suggest that a dosage adjustment is necessary in elderly patients 65 to 75 years of age unless they also have renal or hepatic impairment. For elderly patients over 75 years old not more than 300 mg/day in divided doses as above is recommended. In all patients with creatine clearance less than 30 ml/min, it is recommended that the dosing interval of Ultram be increased to 12 hours with a maximum daily dose of 200 mg. Since only 7% of an administered dose is removed by hemodialysis, dialysis patients can receive their regular dose on the day of dialysis. The recommended dose for patients with cirrhosis is 50 mg every 12 hours. Patients receiving chronic carbamazepine doses up to 800 mg daily require up to twice the recommended dose of Ultram.

Hope that's helpful.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »