I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 03:18:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  What can I do once on pd dialysis?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What can I do once on pd dialysis?  (Read 6401 times)
Erika1212

« on: May 19, 2016, 01:54:21 PM »

Hi everyone, I have a couple questions for the vets on this site. I just got my PD catheter placed and there's questions I have but don't want to ask my doctor or nurse. First question. Can I drink and occasional glass of wine or have a couple margaritas? Can I work out and sweat or  will I never really be able to wash around this catheter?
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 06:38:11 PM »

I don't have the answer around the alcohol--I'm not a drinker.

As for the catheter, daily showering is suggested.  My nurse tells me to let my cath. hang out when in the shower and let the water wash over it.  I was told to wash everything but the catheter area first, and then to go back and wash around the catheter-- so all the dirty water has passed by and you are left with a clean cath. region.  I don't use a washcloth for that part of my shower.  I use what are called "cover sponges."  They aren't sterile, but they're clean.  They are part of my Baxter order. I often use Hibiclenz to wash that area, and then dry around the cath. with a 4" gauze pad.  I'm sure there are a million different answers to this.  This is just the way I do it that works for me.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
sahern

Frozen in Alaska

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 06:44:12 PM »

After my PD cath heeled up I took showers and was told to wash around the cath.  As for drinking I can't answer that one.  I was one who could never have just a couple of drinks so I would not be able to trust myself with just one.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 08:35:39 PM »

Two questions.

Are you diabetic, yet?

Has your Neph set fluid restrictions?  As in daily volume?

Both NO.   One of the great things about PD is we are not as restricted in daily fluid intake as those on Hemp.  They are unable to get rid of that fluid until their dialysis day so this can add up quickly for them.   PD'r's dialysing every day/night take off excess fluid intake much quicker so are not always given those restrictions.

Diabetics are cautioned on alcohol use as it drives the blood sugar quickly and can cause problems if used in much quantity.   Many on PD have developed diabetus within their first year of PD.  I did, but my Diabetic Dr tells me I would have even without starting PD.   My sugars in the years prior had not been the best, just not bad enough for them to order medication.

Alcohol is a personal decision.  Use it wisely.   Blah,  Blah,  Blah.   you have heard it all before.    Alcohol is metabolized through the liver.  The kidneys removed the water included in the drink.   It should not harm any residual kidney function.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 09:09:59 PM »

I was only on PD for 6 months before transplant, but I lived a "normal" life. I showered every day, carefully cleaning around the catheter and then putting a fresh bandage over the entry area. I walked a lot for exercise, just as I did before starting dialysis. I gardened, did housework, took care of my pets, worked full time. I drank what I wanted since I didn't yet have fluid restrictions.

Dialysis became just another part of my daily routine. It didn't stop me from living.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Erika1212

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 01:26:54 AM »

Thank you this info is very useful. So far I feel no real difference from this catheter besides having to be careful cause it is still fresh.
stayingalive

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 05:47:16 AM »

Charlie is right...different for PD than hemo.....I shower as instructed from clinic....so sweating and working out if you can handle it is ok.  I also drink 3-4 beers everyday this is of course after having some water and working all day.  My labs have come back perfect the last 4 months (well besides stupid protein being a little low last month)  I also still produce urine which I am sure helps me a lot.  You still need to live and enjoy life.  Do things as you are told by your neph/nurses for a bit and adjust.  I found that some things they restrict I can have once in awhile in moderation.  BUT when I get a craving for something I eat it...usually last 2 or three days then it over.  Starting second year on PD June 5 and things are going fine with me.  Of course I only have PKD with the high blood pressure that comes along with it.  If you are having any other health issues it could be different for you. 

SMILE!!  CAPD since June 2014
Polysystic kidney disease
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 06:32:28 AM »

You can do just a about everything except swim in fresh water.
stayingalive

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 07:06:35 AM »

excellent reminder Simon Dog.....

SMILE!!  CAPD since June 2014
Polysystic kidney disease
Erika1212

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 08:56:43 AM »

Great!! I'm happy to hear that things will be pretty normal. I am not diabetic, I am healthy besides the PKD.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 12:04:26 PM »

I am not diabetic, I am healthy besides the PKD.
Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 06:02:18 PM »

You can do just a about everything except swim in fresh water.

That's it, I'm moving back near the Ocean!         Maybe not Seattle again, the water is pretty chilly.      How about Panama, I hear it is warm year round?
beckums70

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 07:06:56 PM »

PD For three years.  I do pretty much every thing I want to do.

I wash the exit site with antibacterial soap daily using just the palm of my hand in circular motions. This was how my PD nurse taught me to wash it.  Mine is healed quite nicely and I don't wear bandages anymore unless it somehow gets tugged a little and starts to scab, which does happen now and then.

You just shouldn't sit in a bath, since you'd be soaking in bacteria filled water.  Showers only.

As for drinking, I say go for it as long as you aren't an alcoholic.  I have a beer once in a while and even have had some liquor and one night a long time ago, over-did it with some saki while out to dinner with friends.  I am not one to get drunk but I do enjoy a beer with some wings once in a while.  Remember to take phosphate binders when you have beer or your phosphate will be through the roof for a few days.  My doctors know I drink socially once in a blue moon and have no problem with it.
myporkchop

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 04:39:45 AM »

Hi all, my mum is hopefully going to get the ok to start pd. She loves swimming at the pools and having a spa. Will that b a no no once she starts pd? Thanks

21st April 2016 - mum got told she had only a few months to live. Doctor's did not support dialysis treatment for her due to many other health complications. They didn't think she could cope and recommended conservative care. Our family was devastated. She is only 64 years old.

19th June 2016 - joined IHD. The support from all of you gave my mum the confidence to give dialysis a go.
26th September 2016 - started PD dialysis at home (CAPD). The first week has wrecked havoc with her blood sugar levels and diabetes, she has been in hospital twice within the week. Dialysis is going well though.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 06:59:37 AM »

There are still differing opinions about pools.   Hot tubs are generally OUT.   The increased temp increases risk of bacteria.   Unless perfectly managed and chemicals maintained  with a high chlorine level I would think it not so good an idea.   Pretty much the same with public pools.   Private pools depend on how strict the owner is maintaining the chemicals and chlorine.   It IS a risk.

Yet it is said salt water is much safer as the salt reduces bacteria.   Except in those areas that have 'Red Tide' warnings, when the water temps get high enough the salt alone isn't enough.

Knowing this, why don't we see many 'salt water' pools?
beckums70

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 04:55:52 PM »

Hi all, my mum is hopefully going to get the ok to start pd. She loves swimming at the pools and having a spa. Will that b a no no once she starts pd? Thanks

I swim every summer and have never had an infection.  However, I am cautious around public pools.  If the water is even the least bit cloudy I do not get in.  I don't have a pool at home or know anyone with a private pool but I have swum in public pools every summer.  I did get in a hot tub once, but it reeked of chlorine and I showered and used Except immediately after. 

As a general rule she should take Except to the pool with her at all times and douse the exit site with it when she gets out.  Stay out of lakes and rivers as well.  I have been in the river a few times, but not for long and I immediately cleanse with Except when I get out.

I think if you're cautious about where you swim you can do it with no problem.

I do swim in the ocean every summer too and it feels good to get in the water there without worrying about getting an infection! Also, my son and I like to camp at a local KOA that has a salt water pool that's lots of fun.  Tons of kids in there but the water is crystal clear and it's never been a problem.
myporkchop

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 07:24:31 AM »

Thanks charlie and beckums70

21st April 2016 - mum got told she had only a few months to live. Doctor's did not support dialysis treatment for her due to many other health complications. They didn't think she could cope and recommended conservative care. Our family was devastated. She is only 64 years old.

19th June 2016 - joined IHD. The support from all of you gave my mum the confidence to give dialysis a go.
26th September 2016 - started PD dialysis at home (CAPD). The first week has wrecked havoc with her blood sugar levels and diabetes, she has been in hospital twice within the week. Dialysis is going well though.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »