I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 04:39:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Missing Blanket
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Missing Blanket  (Read 2476 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: October 11, 2010, 07:30:32 PM »

We all probably bring at least 1 blanket to dialysis so we don't freeze to death.  Well, I bring 3....   I bring, if I count, let's see, 3 blankets, 1 neck pillow, arm sleeve, DVD player, and cord, head phones, Nepro, Pop Tart, Water, Tic Tacs, and maybe a book... oh and my cell phone.

So, if I forget something at 4 in the morning I feel I should be given some slack.  But, I can see where the staff gets tired of picking up after me.  I forget my DVD charger cord the most.  I've used the darn thing so much it only holds a charge for 45 minutes.  Then I have to plug it in.

So, I get to dialysis on Sunday night and in the trunk of my car there is NO Pendleton Wool Blanket!  I have my other two!  So I go in and ask the staff if maybe someone put it in the back.  Nope, can't find it.  CRAP... so I freeze all night.

I call this morning and the day shift staff look and can't find it.

Then..... a lady calls the clinic, and asks if they sent her husband home with a wool blanket.  They say no he brought it in with him.

Come to find out he is 95 and slipping a little (lot) and my blanket was sitting in a chair in the waiting room and he picked it up and took it in the treatment room with him.  So the staff thought it was his so they packed it up for him when he left.

So I hope to get it back..... someday.   :P

YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »

:oops;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:45:14 PM »

Mystery solved! LOL I hate when you never find out what happened to something.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
RenalSurvivorDotCA

10 Year Survivor

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 07:44:09 AM »

That sucks when people mistakenly take your stuff, but it is major suckage when people steal things. I used to keep my wallet zipped in a pocket in my coat, but we had a period where coats/jackets/other objects were stolen from the unit coatroom. Now I leave my wallet in the car.

As far as blankets go, my unit has a blanket warmer and I have to say it is nice getting a hot blanket when you are cold.

Your life IS worth living. Fight for it!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 08:40:56 AM »

A Pendleton wool blanket is not a cheap thing to lose.  Now that the staff knows where the blanket is, they should ask that patient (or his family) to bring it back.  Seems simple enough.    Sorry they aren't helping you.    I like "my" things.  I left my DVD charger at the infusion room @ the transplant center and no one could ever find it.  It was plugged into the wall!  I know I was the one that left it, but someone had to see this odd cord hanging from the wall!     I know they aren't our babysitters --  but some days I need one    :rofl;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 03:38:34 PM »

Hope you get your cuddly wuddly blanket back  :cuddle; Talking of things going missing we are lucky enough to have a portable DVD player and Laptop on our unit ! and a while ago the mains lead for the laptop broke, so they ordered another. It took about 6 weeks to come and cost £50 and within that week someone has swiped it ! We also had some kind person donate a whole lot of DVD's with the intention of starting up a DVD library and someone has walked off with all those !  ::)

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 11:57:34 PM »

Hope you get it back sooner rather than later KS. I hate people taking my stuff too!!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
hexoffender

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 04:23:48 PM »

Holy crap, thats allot of crap to carry around...
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 06:44:39 PM »

did you get your blankie back yet?

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 09:16:19 PM »

Hope you get it back soon Linus/ette.  :rofl;
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 08:13:46 AM »

Talking about blankets, why do we all have to damn near freeze to death just because we do dialysis it seems. The dialysis process itself  does make you feel colder after about a couple of hours but my unit never seems to be warm in the first place. Yesterday was the last straw as  the  weather turned  colder 4degrees but there did not seem to any noticable adjustment to the heating since the day before when the outside temp. was considerably warmer.

The problem seems to be that the available heating is sent from the hospital main unit which is remote from the satellite dialysis unit and the staff can only adjust the heating using what's available. In other words the dialysis staff can turn the heating control in the unit full on but if the main unit is sending insufficient heat then the heating is too week to be of any benefit. I have voicemailed the hospital matron about this. No answer yet. Watch this space

Ken
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 09:03:43 PM »

There is one guy and I who bit** ( excuse the language) about the cold in our area of the unit.  He gets sick. I just hate being cold all night.  I double up large blanket over me. Plus I have one of those ski hand warmers to help me get warm again.  I would hate to lose a blanket.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 11:31:13 PM »

I was told that the reason we're cold in dialysis is because the machine actually cools the blood a little bit before it goes back into us.

If it wasn't for the blanket warmer in our unit, I'd be a little lost some days, but there are also days when I don't need a blanket

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 08:54:32 AM »

i have the machine set at 37.5, which some think is a bit high, but i hate being cold from the inside out. a week or so ago the (reasonably) new nurse manager upped the temp and the clinic has been very comfortable ever since. i guess i'm not the only one who grouses.

hope your blanket has been returned.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 06:52:42 PM »

Clearly I am different to most of you folks (this is not news, I know!  :rofl;) I set my machine temp down to 35.5 because if it's at 36 I tend to overheat!! The nurses call it my "male menopause" which is pretty funny really. I think I'd explode at 37.5! I do keep a blanket with me and sometimes get a little cold, but more often than not I don't use it. It's definitely good to have though because sometimes it will get cold for 10-15 minutes, and it's nice to have the blanket there for when I need it.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 10:28:03 PM »

I would think that 37.5 would be a little too warm.  I was told that mine was set at 36 because that's usually around what my temp is

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »