I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 09:41:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  clot in tube
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: clot in tube  (Read 4489 times)
texasstyle
Elite Member

« on: November 08, 2010, 08:08:37 AM »

Good morning everyone. Today my husband said he ran late because he got a clot, which he believed was in the tube. It took about 1/2 an hour to straighten the situation out. Is this something that happens often? What causes it? Is it something he's not doing right, or is this just one of those things you can't really control? Hhmm.... This is a new one to me lol. Thanks!

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 06:06:33 PM »

i dont know just waiting to see if someone else does  :)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
greg10

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 06:28:14 PM »

Good morning everyone. Today my husband said he ran late because he got a clot, which he believed was in the tube. It took about 1/2 an hour to straighten the situation out. Is this something that happens often? What causes it? Is it something he's not doing right, or is this just one of those things you can't really control? Hhmm.... This is a new one to me lol. Thanks!
Hi texasstyle,  this could be serious.  Have you read the post by RightSide on his problem with Fresenius tubing, which is quite likely the same tubing your husband is using.  It turned out that in RightSide's case, there were air leaks in the tubing connectors that allowed clots to form.  Hopefully Fresenius can straighten this out fast.
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20758.msg345820#msg345820

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 06:46:15 PM »

TexasStyle:

Are you referring to HD tubing?
And if so, does your hubby's center use Fresenius tubing?

Clotted tubing can happen, once in a blue moon, due to random factors.  But it seems to be happening more frequently now with Fresenius tubing.

The recent shipments of HD tubing that my dialysis center has gotten from Fresenius are prone to air bubbles, which cause clotting.  (Blood starts to clot when it contacts air.)  Our Fresenius sales rep has admitted this--poor quality control at their end.

At our center, our head nurse has directed the staff to keep a closer eye on the tubing.  I've volunteered to monitor it while the staff is busy with other patients.  And the nephs are working on whether to prescribe additional heparin to minimize the frequency of clotting.

Your husband should suggest both these measures to his neph and center head nurse.
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 02:02:53 AM »

Just after telling RightSide that it could not happen I got air in my lines (I was at start up) and I suspect clotting as well. Anyway I could not get rid of the 'Air Detector" warning...the blood pump switches off and will not work...so I had to disconnect, put saline in my cannulas and chuck out all the bloodlines and install new ones. Must have taken me a hour and a half to get on.
I think that clotting if your blood pump is still working is going to show on your arterial or venous pressure indicators, isn't it?
Also your venous bubble trap...and of course you are supposed to always check the kidney after dialysis.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:54:30 PM »

I have thick blood and will sometimes clot the lines.  It takes while to fix it, usually with an entire new set-up.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 10:38:32 PM »

I have thick blood and will sometimes clot the lines.  It takes while to fix it, usually with an entire new set-up.

I have that problem too, with the same resolution.  They've let me go home a half hour to and hour early because of clotting in the lines.  Any longer than an hour, and I'll wait till they get the machine set up again

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »

But wouldn't you be thinking about upping the heparin if the clotting is persistent?
brandi1leigh

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 08:10:03 PM »

I had a clotted tube today and I got to a Fresenius center. Not sure if it was the tubing or me. It has happened once before and here were no reports of faulty tubing then. They're constantly trying to find the right dose of Heparin for me because I clot quickly.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 12:06:35 AM »

But wouldn't you be thinking about upping the heparin if the clotting is persistent?

They try to limit the amount of heparin given to me, because it makes my hair fall out.  I've been lucky that I haven't clotted the lines in a while.  The last time I saw any clotting was in the lines that are connected to the needle.  The nurse pulled it out with half filled saline syringes.  it was a little gross, cuz even mixed with the saline, the blood was very syrupy.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »