I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 04:23:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  **DaVita Centers Mess Up Reuse Filters, Again!**
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: **DaVita Centers Mess Up Reuse Filters, Again!**  (Read 3434 times)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« on: November 06, 2010, 01:50:42 PM »

Another reason not to accept reuse at your center.

http://cbs4denver.com/news/Colorado.health.officials.2.1998965.html

Nov 6, 2010 10:45 am US/Mountain

State OKs Dialysis Centers' Correctional Plans

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) ― The Colorado health department has signed off on correctional plans for two dialysis centers that each treated a patient with an artificial kidney belonging to someone else.

Health officials investigated the Pikes Peak and Printers Place centers in Colorado Springs in May after learning two patients were treated with the wrong dialyzer.

The Gazette reports that one patient was treated with a dialyzer belonging to a patient infected with Hepatitis C, and another was treated with one used by a patient infected with methicillin-resistant staph, or MRSA (MUR-suh).

Denver-based DaVita owns both dialysis centers. Dr. Robert Provenzano of DaVita says three employees, not just two, will now check patients' dialyzers.

___

Information from: The Gazette, http://www.gazette.com

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
greg10

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 06:56:49 PM »

Thank you Zach.  Initially Davita did not report the incidents to the Colorado health department, which is even more troubling.  Dr. Fox below said he has only seen one mix-up in 22 years, but those are only the ones that were reported.  These incidences could happen more often than is reported.

According to the Gazette:   http://www.gazette.com/articles/dialysis-102290-three-mix.html

Mix-ups with reusable dialyzers don’t occur often, though. An official with the Colorado health department said the Colorado Springs cases are the first she’s encountered in seven years at the agency, and Dr. Stephen Fox of Pikes Peak Nephrology Associates said he had seen only one in his 22 years of practice.

“So to have two incidents in a short span of time is very unusual and very troubling,” said Fox.

Lazarus said that getting the wrong dialyzer rarely puts the patient at risk. Sterilization of dialyzers after each use kills most pathogens, including MRSA, he said, so Preston Price is likely in the clear.

“In 99 percent of the cases, it doesn’t matter. It’s like wearing someone else’s underwear; it’s not pleasant, but it doesn’t hurt anyone,” said Lazarus. “There’s a big psychological issue: ‘My blood is going through this artificial kidney that someone else has used.’”

More troubling is the patient who was exposed to Hepatitis C, because neither that virus nor AIDS can be killed with current sterilization techniques, he said.

And there’s no guarantee that the cleaning and sterilization process will go according to plan. In 2007, a 71-year-old Muskegon, Mich., woman being treated at a DaVita center died after being hooked to a dialyzer that wasn’t properly rinsed after cleaning. The corrosive cleaning agent got into her bloodstream and killed her.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »