I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:24:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Bundling
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bundling  (Read 1522 times)
gregory

« on: November 03, 2010, 04:48:17 PM »

I was recently informed I will no longer be receiving carnitor because of bundling. It has helped my neuropathy and blood pressure, I no longer almost pass out during treatment. Do the people who make these decisions ever visit treatment centers? I don't think so. I also read that U.N.O.S. is going to change their criteria for kidney transplants. Whats next! Oh yeah, Pelosi and friends want to tax my social security. I only get 850.00 a month what else do they want?

Been on dialysis 3 years. Had a transplant that lasted 22 years. Didn't have any problems with medications. Antibodoes built up and rejected it, they have new meds, for that now. Back on the list. Living day to day.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 05:20:22 PM »

I wish I got $850 a month.  I could almost live on my own with that..

BTW, Pelosi is no longer the speaker of the house, or won't be come January.  I doubt they'll do much in the next few months.  That's why they call it a lame duck session.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
greg10

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 05:33:25 PM »

I was recently informed I will no longer be receiving carnitor because of bundling. It has helped my neuropathy and blood pressure, I no longer almost pass out during treatment. Do the people who make these decisions ever visit treatment centers? I don't think so. I also read that U.N.O.S. is going to change their criteria for kidney transplants. Whats next! Oh yeah, Pelosi and friends want to tax my social security. I only get 850.00 a month what else do they want?
I am sorry your center is no longer providing carnitor and I have read your complaints on carnitor here several times with interest.  I did answered previously that carnitor is L-carnitine and is sold fairly inexpensively over the counter as a supplement.  Have you tried the capsule form of L-carnitine and does that help?  The transition to bundling could have been done in stages or "all in" and that is a decision made by the the center, not CMS.  Perhaps you can find a center that will still provide carnitor.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »