I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 04:40:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Tough one
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tough one  (Read 1909 times)
GoingThere

« on: November 06, 2010, 07:19:10 PM »

Hi my fellows in kidneys problems!

Last week, when I was at tx clinic, I saw a very beautiful woman. Later I found, that she is neph, who works with tx patients. We talked for a while and then she had to go. Ufff.....how she made my mind dizzy. Whole week I tried to find any contact with her, no success. But today, she searched me through FB and found me. We exchanged few messages and then agreed to meet.
It was such a nice evening (date). We talked for many hours and she many times spoke about not ethical to do this. I must say, that she is not my doctor, maybe in the future could be a little bit involved in my tx operation. And that is all. I look at her as very attractive woman suitable for dating. But with many fears she presented to me, I didn't know, what so say. I really like her.

How do you look at this boundaries? What should I do?

GT

1995 - kidney biopsy - IgA
2002 - BP 220/140 - hospitilized
2004 - stage 3 of kidney failure
2005 - stagae 4of kidney failure
2009 - on the edge of stage 5
july 2010 - stage 5
14 july 2010 - catheter inserted and first D session
15 july 2010 - AV fistula created
dec. 2012 - tx with major rejection (plasmapheresis, atg, prednisone pulses)
apr 2013 - kidney function stable
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 07:55:55 PM »

Awwww, Uros, what an impossibly romantic story!

I see no problem with it so long as she is never involved in your care. That could just get much too messy should you two date and then split on acrimonious terms. Not to mention how unfair it could be to her other patients, and the danger to her job if she is found out.

Patients are a protected class in America. Doctors are in a position to take advantage of patients, so I do not believe you should ever date your own doctor, and if you are already dating or married to one and have medical problems, you should really find someone else to handle your medical care. It sounds like your feelings for each other are mutual and for now your care is totally separate from her. If you do date, please do not involve her in your transplant operation.

She sounds like she is too afraid to seriously pursue anything right now, so perhaps you should hold off until you get a transplant. Am I right that you have a living donor? If you wait until after the operation to date, I would think it would be fine. Of course, I have no idea what the cultural norms are in Slovenia, so this is just how I would handle it in the US.

Good luck!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 08:31:41 PM »

im sure you need to listen to others (so far cariad  :)  ),,,,,,,, Im dangerious on this one..I just listend to my heart and felt how wonderful for you and forgot imediatly the rest of the stuff like "boundaries"  For whats its worth, im glad you have a lovely friend who you enjoy looking at and now listen to others advice   :angel;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 05:21:34 AM »

Dont go there ..!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
calypso

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 07:01:48 AM »

Don't get your meat where you make your bread.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 05:36:30 PM »

well well well. You are some kind of stud muffin GT. I totally wish I had half your influence on the ladies!!!  :bow; :bow; :bow; :bow; :bow; :bow; that she looked you up on FB, made contact and met you says volumes.

She is right though there is an ethical problem there specially if she might be involved with you transplant wise. However it seems to me if she is NOT part of your treatment team at the moment and could potentially excuse herself should a transplant issue arise with you that she may be involved with, I think that would be OK to persue however her bringing up the ethical issues shows she would probably be uncomfortable with a romantic relationship as things stand (though clearly she's definitely interested in the DIALYSIS STUD!).

Wow difficult situation. We've read here stories about nurses/techs getting together with patients (usually involving the medical professional changing units to avoid a conflict of interest situation).

I guess if she still wants to explore possibilities you need to discuss with her what would make HER comfortable to continue things.

hey, it's positive for you though and hoping something can be worked out that works for you both :)

:2thumbsup; :yahoo; :clap; :bow;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
GoingThere

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 09:56:29 AM »

Richard,

I love your answer  :clap;.

I hope me and her will be able to find a proper solution that suits both of us.

GT

1995 - kidney biopsy - IgA
2002 - BP 220/140 - hospitilized
2004 - stage 3 of kidney failure
2005 - stagae 4of kidney failure
2009 - on the edge of stage 5
july 2010 - stage 5
14 july 2010 - catheter inserted and first D session
15 july 2010 - AV fistula created
dec. 2012 - tx with major rejection (plasmapheresis, atg, prednisone pulses)
apr 2013 - kidney function stable
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 06:35:43 PM »

Life is to short (as we all know) and finding someone that loves you or finding a potential love interest is the best part of life. Wouldn't D be easier if you have someone to talk to and make your life more happy and joyful? I say do it....of course I am a romantic. Maybe switch to a different dialysis unit and different hospital that she is not affiliated with if it gets serious.

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 02:15:48 AM »

Wish that had happened to me. Free medical treatment and a beautiful wife.
...sigh.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »