I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 05:12:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I still can't get used to Dialysis
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I still can't get used to Dialysis  (Read 16406 times)
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2010, 11:16:43 PM »

Depression....

I must be in total denial or something. The unit manager also suggested that I am suffering from depression. She thinks that that maybe the reason why I complain about everything in the unit. Well if this was depression why would the other 20 hours of my day be fantastic and super normal until I walk into that stupid unit? I really really have a wonderful time working and spending time with my family. I have accepted dialysis - I just don't like it.

I really need some input here. Can I really be suffering from depression and not know about it???

So many people has picked it up but not me, How in the world is that possible? If so how do I go about fixing it?

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
Desert Dancer

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2010, 04:53:10 AM »

Well, would it be any wonder if you ARE depressed? Look at what they're putting you through there on that unit; how could you NOT be depressed? Totally normal, if you ask me (not that anyone was).  ;D 

There has got to be some way out of there!

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2010, 06:03:20 AM »

Sounds like a bit of excuse to me to cover up the fact that they're not doing their jobs properly and creating an environment that isn't the best for you. You may well have some dialysis related depression - most of us do - but to use that "reason" to invalidate your complaints seems a bit rich to me.

I'm in a hospital unit - they come running whenever a machine alarms. OK maybe not running, but I can't think of a single time an alarm has gone longer than 30 seconds - 1 minute max. Obviously if something serious is happening they come much quicker.

I would consider a machine left alarming for 5 minutes to be unacceptable (and if it was my machine I'd damn well reset it myself, to the best of my ability).

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2010, 03:19:09 PM »

I'm no expert on depression, only know second-hand about it as my brother-in-law suffers from it. He is under treatment that has been so beneficial. When he was really bad with depression, he did almost nothing: laid around all day, slept a lot, couldn't get motivated. I feel that your unit is just such an unhappy place to be that being there is getting you down. And how to fix that, I don't know. Dialysis is hard enough without having to be part of a treatment unit that seems to want to bring you down. If you don't have some trust and a bit of rapport with the staff, I can't imagine how difficult your time there is. Sending you prayers that things improve.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2010, 07:20:50 AM »

Morning all.

I had a dreadfull treatment last night. I got into a serious fight with a staff member. I called the regional  unit manager.

It all started when I insisted that she attended to an alarm. She replied that it is not her patient.To which I said, so if someone is dying and it is not your patient then that is that?
She called me a "big mouth" to wich I replied : " get me off this machine then we'll see who's mouth is the biggest"     

:sir ken; :banghead; :Kit n Stik; :stressed;

ps. she is getting some warning or something

What a beeyatch!! It amazes me what people who are in positions of power over other people can get away with! As a teacher I have always felt (and been told by administration) that I need to bend over backwards to calm down parents/students and to make them happy, even if I don't agree with it. Then I hear stories like this where people just go around and treat sick people like s***...makes me so mad. Makes me want to tell my drug addicted parents, "Well it is not my fault you haven't bothered raising your child and now I am trying to hold him accountable. Get off the crack and parent why don't ya?"  sorry I digress...

sorry Des this is happening...can you get out of there at all?

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2010, 09:48:55 PM »

I went to see the doc..... verdict : I don't suffer from depression just a bad case of Ihatedialysis-disease. :rofl;

The only cure is a transplant.

All jokes aside.... I am doing ok. The other 20hours of my day it is only the 4hours that I am stuck in the unit.

I am ignoring everything and everyone... I will be deaf in a month or two as I turn my headphones up so loud that I don't hear any alarms going off. It is like I am in my one cocoon. Cool.

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »

If you were clinically depressed, you wouldn't be enjoying your non-dialysis time.   I agree...you just vehemently hate dialysis, and given the description of what goes on in your unit, I'm not surprised.l

Ensconsing yourself in your "cocoon" is a very useful coping mechanism.  That's what most people do...they find ways to distract/entertain themselves while dialyzing.  So, good for you!! :clap;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2010, 09:48:45 AM »

I love my  world... and try to pretend everyday.....nothing wrong in dreaming....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2010, 03:50:38 PM »

Des I have been turning my ipod really loud in my ears too! So thankful to have that device. It made me appreciate the poor folks that had to suffer through dialysis a long time ago with no wireless internet, iphones, handheld nintendos, ipods, kindles, etc.... oh how dialysis must have been so much more excruciating!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2010, 06:07:37 PM »

:cheer: for iPods - I LOVE mine for the hospital visits and the sleepless nights. I will make sure to have on board as well for any dialysis sessions.
Just KNEW you were only D depressed - too happy with the rest of your life for anything else.
Happy cocoon-ing!

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »