I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 02:17:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  7 hour dialysis sessions...can anyone help with settings?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 7 hour dialysis sessions...can anyone help with settings?  (Read 2147 times)
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« on: October 27, 2010, 09:55:17 PM »

I am about to commence home haemo dialysis and plan to go long and slow with 3 x 7 hour sessions weekly. I can't go nocturnal yet because I need a bit more experience. Can anyone suggest settings they have found useful. My plan at the moment is pump speed 300, and a UF rate of 250 to 280. Am trying to keep the UF below 300.
My plan is Monday, Wednesday, Friday dialysis with Tuesday, Thursday and the weekend off. I coping OK at the present with the weekend off, I usually have a goal of less than 3 litres after a weekend. My dry weight is 110 kg...yes, I'm a big guy.
My phosphates are OK, but I have to eat a potassium rich diet. I use iron and aranesp as infusions once per week.
I'd love to hear your experiences because they will help me decide what I should be doing...and isn't that what this site is uniquely about?
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 06:29:21 AM »

Bruno, hubby does 7 hour treatments but he does nocturnal 5 nights a week and sleeps through the treatment.  Would you be able to have a nap?  Do you have a laptop or a computer that you could use.  Maybe watch a couple of movies. Do you have family or friends that could visit for a little while during treatments?  Maybe do some reading?  7 hours is a long time to be hooked up if it isn't nocturnal.  Will you eventually be able to do nocturnal.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 06:38:54 AM »

Just make sure the dialysis filter you use is approved for use with UF below 300.
Most high flux filter manufacturers recommend UF be at or above 300 to prevent backflow.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 06:54:19 AM »

Seven hours doesn't bear thinking about. My ass can only just stand up to the 3½ hours I do now.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 06:59:43 AM »

I do 8 hours nocturnal in center and I know my blood pump speed is 300.

Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 01:24:21 AM »

I do intend to go nocturnal but I have to go close to daylight hours first. I mean I can start very early morning or late afternoon.
Thanks for the tip on the filter.
I was wondering what sort of UF rate you could get down to on nocturnal dialysis. Seem to me that you would not have much fluid to get off you were nocturnal on most nights.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 05:46:54 PM »

Bruno, hubby does 7 hour nocturnal treatments and there are many nights when he has less than 0.5kg of fluid on.  He has taken off as little as 60 ml an hour!!!  The most he can take off is 3.3 kg. He has never been that high!!  The most he has on is 2 kg.  He does 5 nights a week - 3 nights on, a night off, 2 nights on, one off then back to 3 on again.  He never takes 2 nights off in a row.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »