I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 06:22:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Kidney transplant best or dialysis pd r hd both.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney transplant best or dialysis pd r hd both.  (Read 1814 times)
khaliq282

« on: October 24, 2010, 07:55:30 AM »

Hi all,wat u think all r kidney transplant best r dialysis aftar a buddy have there both kidnes faild.
bcoz wat i have see here aftar kidney transplant,they have rejection .nd wen they cm on dialysis again they gt more worse health.and also nid to eat lot of pills daily.
but kidney transplant have benifit too ,like freedom of fluid,food nd time..

khaliq
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 08:02:39 AM »

khaliq, the answer to what is the best treatment depends on the patient.  I chose a transplant.  I was willing to risk the surgery, the rejection and the possible side effects from the immunosuppressant meds.  I'm much happier with the transplant than I was on dialysis.  I nearly didn't survive the transplant surgery because of all the complications that I had in the weeks that followed it.  It certainly isn't a low-risk option.  Staying on dialysis has risks, too.  Heart problems, bone problems, etc.  The diet and fluid restraints are very hard for some people to live with.  Not everyone does well on dialysis either.  It might keep them alive, but it's not much of a life for some.

You have to find out what you think is going to work for you.  Make a pro and con list for yourself.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 10:01:15 AM »

Not all but nearly everyone who has a transplant will have either rejection or failure and be back on dialysis. 

A transplant does give one there life back to an extent.

As far as pills, its really no more than what most on dialysis take.  However its far more important that one takes their medication on time and every single day with a transplant,  all it takes is forgetting one pill and it can put you on the track to a transplant rejecting.

The bigger problem is the compromised immune system from the transplant medication which puts one at risk from everything from the common cold to cancer.

All in all a transplant seems the better of the two IMO even with the risks of surgery and having a compromised immune system.  However one must face the reality that if the do have a transplant, they need to be prepared that one day they will be back on dialysis.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 05:48:59 PM »

Good explanation, Big Sky.    :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 06:09:08 PM »

That's a good explanation but I think there may also be another angle to this that may relate more to where Khaliq is, as in Pakistan - the ability to obtain the antirejection medication may well be more of an issue. He has already suggested that one D session can cost half a month's average wage, so access to those expensive medication may be the issue. If you can't afford those meds, then maybe transplant is NOT the best option because it's clear that getting access to, and maintaining antirejection medications are critical to survivial of a transplant longer term.

I read last year I think about a guy in India who is walking around with FIVE kidneys - because he's had 3 transplants from family members, but because he simply cannot afford the antirejection medication his transplants have all failed. This is very sad. Perhaps a similar situation occurs in Pakistan and this is, in part, to what Khaliq is referring to. There may also be issues with the actual transplants themselves, as in the standards of the procedures taken out (not to put down Pakistan, but the conditions of the hospitals, quality of doctors, procedures, medication etc probably aren't up to the sort of standards seen in the west).

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »