I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2024, 02:21:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Book Club
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Book Club  (Read 1513 times)
kyshiag

« on: April 02, 2011, 06:37:37 PM »

Does anyone think it would be a viable idea to offer a book club of some sort at the dialysis center?  Perhaps a discussion to help the time pass, reading excerpts out loud or just a collection of books.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:47:29 PM »

Depends on the size of your D unit, and the common interests of the patients, I would think.  Plus the ease at talking to each other during D, something not everyone wants to do given their health or can do given the unit layout.  Look around the unit - how many patients are reading?  And what are they reading?  If there are enough readers to consider starting a club, but no good way to carry on the conversation, how about getting the center to put up a shelf in the waiting room or designate a Club spot?  To each Club Book, attach a pen and a note pad.  Each reader could note down their thoughts as they read, and then pass the notes on to the next reader with the book.  If you aren't an "all books are sacred" person, you could simply encourage each reader to make notes in the margin as they go.  That way the book club expands to everyone on all shifts.  Use post-its to put the name of the person reading it on which shift, and ask them to leave the books at the center.

You might want to consider investing in large print books, too.  Lots of D patients have vision issues!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »