I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:40:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Sick of waiting
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sick of waiting  (Read 2214 times)
murf

« on: September 19, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »

As I approach the six year mark on the transplant list, I have to admit I am a little down  in the dumps about the expectation. I this time, my phone is always on and every phone call is awaited with baited breath.  Surely something has to give soon. How long have others been waiting for their first transplant? Maybe the extratraneal bag's that aren't' taking of much fluid is adding to my current melancholy.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 04:11:29 PM »

:cuddle;  I pray that your perfect kidney will come to you very soon, Murf.  Six years does seem long.  Have you talked to your coordinator?  Are you up-to-date on everything?  I remember when I finished all my testing I was told I was listed.  Then a month or so later I was informed that I was "on the list", but that I "wasn't eligible" for "the call" because I had to have a tooth pulled.  WTH?   I was a little mad.  Just be sure everything is order.  Hang in there.  Never give up the fight.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 06:03:30 PM »

Murf - totally with you on that one mate. Maybe ask your co-ordinator to contact the red cross and see if you've actually matched on any organs yet. Mine claimed she did (how do you really know?) and said that supposedly I've matched for a number of organs so far, but they went to people waiting longer on the list (which is fair). I've "only" been waiting just over 4.5 years. It's like when I read the article that karol posted the other day from ninemsn claiming the "average" wait for a kidney here was 3.8 years - that got me down a bit. All I can say is that folks like us have to make up the numbers to create an average - for each of us that has to wait longer, there's some lucky person getting that call after 2 years or less (I know one guy who got a call after 2 years, got the tx, it rejected a week or so later .. but he got another one like six months later). He is the same blood group as me. I have to admit having mixed emotions on that one. I think How can he get two calls in six months after only two years? Then I think that's so selfish.. this guy has a little girl, and a life, and his 2nd kidney is working really well and he has his life back - how can I be mad about that?!

Times like this that I console myself with words like "The right one for ME hasn't matched yet" and "the longer I wait the better the chances are that the next call will be THE CALL." Plus the psychic claimed I will get mine between October and March, so April 1st I may be heading over there with a baseball bat!  :Kit n Stik; (just kidding!).

I feel your frustration, and I'm 18 months "behind" you. I guess just keep plugging on and waiting is all we can do. I mean look some of our aussie members have had the call - Wattle, Jenny and of course Ang just the other week - proof that it DOES happen, and when our time comes it will be extra sweet.

Personally I want my call to come on Friday. That way I will be knocked out for the Grand Final so won't have to endure the pain of a Collingwood win!!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

hang in there, mate.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:48:51 AM »

Hang in there.    :cuddle;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 11:03:58 AM »

I hope you get the call soon.
Have you any living donors willing to help?
 :grouphug;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 12:53:15 PM »

My hat is off to all of you who are waiting it out on dialysis. If my current transplant fails, I'm sure that will be the end of that for me and it will be dialysis for ever after (well, until technology catches up to its promise). Murf, I hear your frustration. I wish we could offer more than a listening ear.

Richard, your feelings about that other transplant patient receiving two kidneys while you are still waiting on the first are so completely normal. It's lovely that you are able to come to a place that you are happy for him. I generally have to fake "I'm so delighted for you" for a long time before I genuinely feel that way. I'm sure he is a lovely person, but we want YOU to get the call. October is fast upon us, so here's hoping....

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
murf

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 03:52:17 PM »

Richard, thank you for tickling my fancy. I have never barracked for St. Kilda until today. Dare I say it, I follow The West Coast. It can only get better. Anyway, many thanks or making me feel a little better. Humor goes along way.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 05:55:35 PM »

Richard, your feelings about that other transplant patient receiving two kidneys while you are still waiting on the first are so completely normal. It's lovely that you are able to come to a place that you are happy for him. I generally have to fake "I'm so delighted for you" for a long time before I genuinely feel that way. I'm sure he is a lovely person, but we want YOU to get the call. October is fast upon us, so here's hoping....

thanks Cariad :) I think the thing is that I met this guy- he was in our unit after he got the initial transplant (it had not woken up so he was getting D while waiting). He was sitting next to me and we talked for quite a bit. At that time he had been waiting 2 years, and so had I, so it actually gave me hope that well maybe I would be soon (so much for that!!  :rofl;) but here was a guy around my age who I could relate to. I think that I got to know him a bit really helped me get perspective about it. He is such a nice guy. He has a young family and so much to live for - how could I selfishly deny that? When he lost that initial transplant I was absolutely and sincerely upset for him. I couldn't imagine how he must have felt - the happiness and relief to get the call and come in (it was new year's day!!) and get the gift. Imagine that... and then just a few weeks later to have it basically not work out - absolutely crushing. *I* was crushed! When I heard he got another call six or so months later, and this one was working out fine (and as far as I know it still is) I really WAS happy because I thought.. well someone IS looking out for him and he got that second chance afterall. I guess in a way it also gives me hope that should I be in a similar situation sometime, that it's not the end of the road.

Yes, sometimes I wonder how it was that he, who is the same blood group as me, could match so early.. he must have HLA's that put out more than me or something  :rofl; Really though, what can I do? That's the way it is. I figure sitting here crying "why NOT me?" doesn't help any.. it won't make the match come any quicker. So I just try to be positive, and continue to make my plans for the day when that call comes and it works out (watch out world!!  >:D :boxing;).

Murf happy to help a little with some humour. These things are so much out of our control I figure what can we do? curl up in a ball and cry about ir, or try and remain strong and positive and find ways to cope.

I'm so going to be at an IHD meet up in Vegas!!!!!!! IT WILL HAPPEN (so girls, be ready with those hot frocks!!  :rofl;)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »