I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 09:25:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  I was offered my old job back
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I was offered my old job back  (Read 5224 times)
Dianejt

« on: September 20, 2010, 07:45:06 PM »

It is only part time (24-28 hours per week) but it is easy, stress free & will bring in some $$$ while I decide what to do when I grow up.
I had owned a variety store for 16 years & sold it 5 years ago. I did this "Grocery reset" part time job for a couple years while waiting for Frank to retire. He retired Oct 31 last year. Then the surgeries started in early November & I resigned from the job to stay home & take care of Frank. You all know the rest of the story.

I am only 54 (55 in Nov) and cannot pull from our IRA or Roth accounts until I'm 59 1/2. I cannot get Social Security until I'm 62.  I will now be recieving a small pension check but it is no way close to paying the bills but it does cover my health insurance . I don't want to drain the bank accounts either.

I'm grateful for this job offer while I take the time to figure out the future. Who wants an old lady when there are so many young people looking for jobs?

caregiver to husband Frank

bladder cancer 1994
renal failure April 2009 due to blocked right ureter. Left kidney 20% function
November 18 2009 surgery to remove right ureter.
April 3, 2010 removal bladder, prostrate, left kidney.
June 11, 2010 started Hemo @ hospital
July 2, 2010 Embolized right Kidney due to hemoraging of tumor
September 11, 2010 RIP my love
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 08:06:02 PM »

Hi Diane, it's good to see you, and im so glad for your part time job.  And what is "grocery reset"?   Ya know, what a stark reality of all this.  Ya (well me anyway) just dont think of anything but making them better, or at least comfortable, and then reality is, you still need to go on and make it yourself.  My heart is with you daily, and say my prayers for you and Yvonne too..  You have had to deal with what i fear the most.. (and my hubby frank has a cold right now and it scarres the heck out of me) Keep in touch, and i hope your healing..  The friday before you lost your hubby, i lost my mom.. She slipped away in her sleep very peacefully, but i wish i had known to be there with her.  Anyway, i too am suffering a "miss" and heartbreak.  Bless you, and keep you strong.. with love and sympathy, jill

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 09:46:37 PM »

It would be good for you to go back to where you would be comfortable.
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 09:56:03 PM »

Diane I think this might be a Godsend to you right now, especially if it will supply enough
revenue to you.  It will get you out of the house to meet and socialize with other people, too.  It would not be a drastic change in your life since you've been there before.  If I were you I'd at least consider it.  The next months are going to be hard and lonely to you and this would be a good outlet for  you.  I will pray for you to make the right decision according to God's plan.

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 05:59:06 AM »

Part time is better then no time.  I am happy you have been given this offer.
It can help in more ways then one.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 06:00:42 AM »

I think this is great news. It will keep you busy and earn some $$$ while you deal with things.

Good for you!!!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Dianejt

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 06:24:09 AM »

I have also got a call from my pool team I was on but had to leave. They want me back on the team, so now I will be shooting pool on Sunday nights (badly I'm sure as it has been over a year since I have picked up a cue stick)

bladder cancer 1994
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 07:48:12 AM »

54 isn't old, to start with!  Besides, there is a lot to be said for an employee who won't spend half their time texting someone when they are supposed to be working.... ;D

Congrats on getting up and getting back out there, dear.  It's tough to move on, even when you know you have to.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 09:40:59 AM »

Dianne, I am glad that you are working (even if it is part-time) and doning the things that you love. I hope that everything turns out good for you. Take care.

As I was coming out the Nephrologist office, I thought the sky was falling.
Knew I was going on dialysis since November 1999.
Had a fistula put in January 2000.
Been on 4-1/2 hour dialysis since August 28, 2001. (They took out 35Kg that single week)

Maria hasbeen on hemodualysis since January, 2005
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 10:44:09 AM »

Diane, I'm delighted for you!... You really need this job now, and not just financially...

Hope it all goes very well for you.....

Good luck... Nobody deserves it more!...

Love...

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 11:17:48 AM »

People must love you a lot.  It seems like they are reaching out to help you during this hard time.  The job sounds perfect.  Enough hours to keep you busy, then time to go play pool!  Perfect!!   I am very happy for you.  It is time for you to have good things happen.     And how are the grandchildren doing?  I have been wondering how the have accepted what has happened.      Best wishes and good luck with the job.    :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 11:57:42 PM »

Diane, I think you should go for it. I am not saying, oh, just forget about Frank, but the job will keep you out and about and mingling with others, which helps a whole lot. Of course, the money is ideal also, and will take some of the worries off you for the time being. And, shooting pool, that too. I know you miss Frank terribly, but you have to go on, and going on in a positive manner is always better for you.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Dianejt

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 03:24:53 PM »

People must love you a lot.  It seems like they are reaching out to help you during this hard time.  The job sounds perfect.  Enough hours to keep you busy, then time to go play pool!  Perfect!!   I am very happy for you.  It is time for you to have good things happen.     And how are the grandchildren doing?  I have been wondering how the have accepted what has happened.      Best wishes and good luck with the job.    :2thumbsup;

The grand kids are doing ok. Hannah is more open about greiving, she goes up to where we buried Jelly on a small hill in our backyard everyday. Yesterday my twin brother Dean was leaving to go to SA. He has spent the last month and half here at our home. He lives in Iowa & can work remotly so he was here supporting us during this time. Hannah was very weepy after he left. (she thinks Dean is Santa Claus as he really does look like him & he never is here at Christmas as he goes to SA every year.) we tell her he has to go to work on all the toys for Christmas. She understands but still she has lost so many of the people she loves (Frank & Jelly) in the past 2 weeks that it was hard for her to see her Uncle Dean go. Monday Dean took her to the bus stop so one of the kids at the bus stop would believe her that her Uncle was Santa.
Nathan is chatting & coming into the bedroom more than usual.  He has a friend in his class that had his Dad pass & they talk about the loss. He said it helps to have someone his age (11) understand. I have given him some special things of Franks and  Frank had given him a piece of jewelry that was given to him at his high school Graduation a couple weeks before he died , telling him how special this piece & it's meaning.

I'm still bouncing around trying to get the bedroom settled. I work on 3 things at once so nothing is finished.  The room turned into a "Hospital room" we had supplies everywhere so my son-in-law is checking with "Doctors Without Boarders" to donate these supplies so they will be used where needed.

I have an appointment with the Tax guy to talk about  $$$ & what should go where etc. tomorrow. Frank was active in stocks & doing some day trading but I'm not really sure if that is the route I will take, so much to learn & I'm not sure I want to learn it.

I start the job on this coming Monday.

bladder cancer 1994
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »

busy busy!!  thats such a good thing.....just dont wear yourself out..  Will be fun to hear how monday goes too.  I tell ya, i ALWAYS am working 3 things (at least) so thats my regular.. Drives my family crazy, but works for me....  Keep at it, and keep in touch...
Hopen your doing well and growing strong.. Family around you is what will heal :-)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 01:13:25 PM »

Diane, the job is a wonderful thing.  Staying busy is how we caregivers get through life.  And for now, that's good therapy for you.

I'm also a fellow pool player.  That is, I played on leagues for several years until hubby got sick.  Then, I had to quite.  I have a table here at home and play now and then just to keep in practice.  Maybe someday we'll meet up over a table and play.  That would be a great thing.

Sending you cyber hugs.   :cuddle;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Yvonne

Yvonne

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 04:12:04 AM »

Diane, first let me say how very sorry I am to read that Frank had passed away.  I do not come to the site very often as I should because everyone was so helpful to me at the time My John passed away.
Do not class yourself old at 54, I am 69, that is the age when no one wants you.  You go for the job, I would if I had the chance, I wish you all the best  Yvonne

2007- since January 2007 carer to my husband John who has the following, allways been a very fit man up till then.
2007 - January Renal failure
2007 - March Diagnosed with a Horseshoe kidney and bladder cancer.
2007 - June One kidney, Prostrate and Bladder removed with stage 4 cancer. Urostomy
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 03:59:29 AM »

Diane, you go for it, who says 54 is old. This is just what you need at this moment in time, keep your self busy and as you say, you need the $$$$. I bet you will feel so nervous on your first day. I will think about you.
Dianejt

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 07:13:07 PM »

I'm starting work tomorrow morning so I need to get my butt to bed cuz 5am rising time is around the corner. I'm not nervous Billybags , it is the same job I left in November.  I feel honored that they are having me back. Tonight I went to play pool, same team I also left in November. It was nice they didn't replace me & it was nice to get out & have fun.

bladder cancer 1994
ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 02:34:06 AM »

I am very happy for you Diane. You starting your job and doing the things that you enjoy. I hope that today is a good day at work. Take care and God bless.

As I was coming out the Nephrologist office, I thought the sky was falling.
Knew I was going on dialysis since November 1999.
Had a fistula put in January 2000.
Been on 4-1/2 hour dialysis since August 28, 2001. (They took out 35Kg that single week)

Maria hasbeen on hemodualysis since January, 2005
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »