I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 01:12:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant & Hormone Replacement Therapy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant & Hormone Replacement Therapy  (Read 1759 times)
BrandyChloe

« on: September 14, 2010, 06:13:07 PM »

So, I'm 8 months post-transplant and am doing well. Had a rough patch at 5-1/2 months. Got thrush, CMV and cellulitis all within 3 weeks. Doctor thought I might be over-suppressed and was considering lowering my Cellcept they haven't done anything yet. Now that all the issues have cleared up, I feel much better. I'm not tired all the time! Creatinine is still too high (hangs at 1.6 - 1.8) but for now, they are just watching it. (Had a sonogram and did another 24 hour collection to be sure all was well before making this decision.)

Anyway, went for my well woman check this week and that doctor has advised I should start HRT to handle my hot flashes and irritability. I am going to check with my neph before filling the script but I wanted to know if any of you ladies who have had a transplant are also on HRT.

I googled to research and found a couple of articles where women took herbals rather than synthetic drugs as the synthetic drugs caused issues with the anti-rejection meds. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 06:37:32 PM by BrandyChloe » Logged
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:43:52 PM »

My team has told me many times to never take any new meds from another doctor until they have cleared it with the transplant doctors. And I was told to take no herbal medications because they could have spores from the plants that could interfer with other meds or could be deadly.  I don't take HRT.  But that was my choice a couple of years ago.    I hope you find good answers.  I know your transplant docs will take care of you.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 04:32:17 AM »

Like Paris I never add any (and I mean any at all) meds or supplements without going through my transplant team and that includes asking the hospital pharmacist to check things out for me.
I also decided not to do HRT despite awful hot flashes, based on researching potential side effects.  I was particularly concerned about the potential for cardiac problems since we transplantees are already at a higher risk in that area.  New research is being done all the time and your personal decision must be based on many factors so best of luck talking this over with your docs.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »